Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There is NO way that QW is part of any deal.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not about a power struggle. They're going to want to get him into the building (or have a call in pandemic times) and meet the coach and beg him to stay.

They will have the same amount of suitors now as they have as the league nears free agency in March. There's no rush for them.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yeah, 2 defensive starters is a reach. Quinnen would be tough to part with, but Marcus May is a FA we're hoping to resign. Might be some give there....'encourage' Maye to head south and not put a bid in for him ourselves, something like that? Or send them that Safety we just picked up from Seattle along with one of our young DBs? Just 'something' for the Texans to save face with.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Oh if you’re saying March then yes I agree. I don’t think they do anything before then unless there’s a massive offer. But if it gets to be draft day and Watson is still adamant he’s not stepping foot on the field for them, they’d be dumb not to make a move.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I repeat....if you are Saleh or JoeD....do YOU want to risk your jobs on trading for this guy and then in 1 or 2 years have him say that he wants out ???

Sorry, this whole thing STINKS. I know he liked Bill O'Brien (BOB) but it was BOB who traded Hopkins, not Jack Easterly.

And HE signed the $160 MM contract AFTER Hopkins was let go and AFTER Easterly was on board.

NOW he's not sold on the team ?

Sorry, I am NOT trading the store for this guy and then have him pull the rug out from under us in 2 years or less.

Rockinz likes this.
  6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This is about the fourth different “The Texans will demand...” John McClain tweet I’ve seen. I think his sources are probably as real as Mehta’s.

7. Footballgod214

Jets fans hoping the Texans FO is so disjointed and pathetic they might ship Watson out for a prayer have to remember they just cleaned house and brought in a new GM Nick Caserio from NE. We're not dealing with ol' Billy Bob Obrien admin. Caserio will put his stamp (and career) on this trade, but first he'll so everything in his power to keep Deshawn a Texan.

Just like we've hung our hats on Joe Douglas coming in and running things the 'right way', the Texans have the same feelings for Caserio.

OK last thing, IF we end up with the option to bring Deshawn in, I think we should re-do his contract to be something similar to what the Chiefs did with Mahomes....10 year, $1/2 Billion. We should KNOW we have our QB figured out for the next decade. Ya, we'll be overpaying him to start with, but the 2nd half would be team friendly. Maybe a 10 year, 15% of the cap each year? So he starts out $27M per with the cap at $180M, but in 2031 when the cap is $400M, he getting $60M per.

I dunno....just seems we'd have to give up SO MUCH for him I'd like to lock him in longer than just another 3 years.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. JetsKickAss

He's the Bible on all things Houston but he's been dead wrong on this Watson thing from the start. Going with his gut and not the underlying facts.

Yankjetfan and ConcordeChops like this.
  9. JetsKickAss

The #2 overall pick is worth 2-3 #1 picks in the later stages which is what most teams use as currency.

I'm not giving up that pick plus 4-5 other #1 and #2's.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now you want us to encourage our best Safety to leave on the back of his best season yet lol

Don't give up your day job, unless it is a GM of a football team, of course.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

That walrus die hard John McClain has been wrong all along. He is the one that said Watson wasn't getting traded. He is a big Texans fan and is now resorting to crazy pills

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

First thing you have said today that makes perfect sense :p

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The NFL GM's office works different then the media. Joe Douglas as a scout knows what #2 is worth and what #25-30 is worth

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's I'm sure how the Texans felt as well at the time.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

That’s a steep price... I’d check in with Urban Meyer first...

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was looking at the Watson situation and I was suddenly struck by a lightning bolt.

The situation has Watson to the Washington Football team written all over it. They just released Haskins. They can get big cap relief by releasing Alex Smith. They have an overbearing owner who will do anything that looks momentarily sweet with no thought for future consequences.

They don't have perfect trade capital to trade for Watson but he is a distressed asset for the Texans and they will take virtually any offer that can let them credibly claim to be rebuilding.

#19, #51 and next year's 1st likely is the best offer the Texans will see and Washington is a quasi-contender next year in the weak NFC Least.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

They will need to put one of their defensive stars to get a deal done plus 2 1s and 2 2s

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I will say... with guys like Solomon Thomas on Kerry Hyder being free agents in SF, don’t be shocked if we are more willing to move starters in a deal because JD and Saleh think they can backfill with other starters. I still don’t think Q has any chance of being moved.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That does feel like a very Snyder thing to do, although I'd probably throw a couple more picks on the fire. Plus they are out of conference and I'm sure McNair would love to stick it to Jerry Jones.

Yankjetfan, JetsKickAss and Br4d like this.
  20. Footballgod214

If it's Maye or Quinnen, I'll stick with Q. Sorry if you disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.