Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think my biggest fear about Watson (and it is a somewhat irrational one, but I can't shake it) is that the Jets trade a big package for him, make him the face of the franchise and he turns out to be the Carmelo Anthony of the NFL. A low-key personality guy that all elite players want to play with and most fans love, who by all accounts is a great guy and a complete stat machine, but who ends up lacking the intangible to be a winner.

You can try to explain it away and use PFF stat threads if you want, but the fact remains the guy put up amazing stats this year and his team still lost again and again, and they were only able to beat the dregs of the NFL. That screams Carmelo Anthony to me.

Yeah, different sport entirely and some will say apples and oranges, but both were the face of their franchise (Denver Nuggets for Carmelo) and both seemed to stand out as elite while the rest of the team languished.

Brook! likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The huge difference is in the NBA, you have at least 1/5th of a role in the teams defense. Watson can’t control any of that. All he can do is what he’s on the field to do and he’s very very good at that. Melo was an embarrassment defensively and trying to compare NBA offense to NFL offense just isn’t gonna work. I have 0 worries about Watson being Melo.

Snatch Catch and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would say that is completely different. Remember the Texans started with the Chiefs, Ravens and Steelers. Then they fired their Head Coach. Traded Hopkins before the season. The defense was horrendous. It was a mess. I personally don't think Bill O'Brien is a very good coach either, so losing to the Colts in the 2018 playoffs and the Chiefs in the 2019 playoffs (despite having a 24-0 lead) can't be put on Watson for not being a winner.

You could be right in the end, but I don't think that is fair to say at this moment.

4. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The QB is the leader of the team, face of the franchise. He should of handled this privately. How many leaders are publicly complaining about their team and then go on and be successful. I can’t think of one. This is the position that has to own responsibility for the teams success and failures. They have to be lockstep with management. If they are not, they need to put on the public face they are and quietly work a separation.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

He tried, then management blew it. Time and time again. At some point management has to be held accountable and the player shouldn’t have to shut up and throw the ball.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What of the other two previous seasons that showed he could take his team to the playoffs or was that all on the WR?

I know you said it was an irrational fear, you were right about that part.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold is 100% on the money. Houston might appease him with a trade if the get a great package and he accepts to waive the trade clause. Neither one has more or less leverage. If Watson wants to be fined for a year and sit on his hands it will not help him one bit, nor Houston nor any other contender that wants him.

Br4d likes this.
  8. abyzmul

Melo went to the playoffs a number of times and each time found a way to fold like a cheap tent.

Great stats though, and always found his way to the All Star game.

9. BroadwayAaron

Odds are this is a pile of bullshit but hey it’s a slow day

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well for a team and fanbase like us that have had neither for so long, I think I would be happy with some playoff appearances to start with.

I also don't do basketball tbh

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Was Chase really the clear cut #1 that season or was it because he thrives at the Z spot and struggles at X and Y? After watching LSU's 2019 games I think that Jefferson was probably an overall better WR.
    Catches/Yards/TDs

Chase - 84 - 1780 - 20
    Jefferson - 111 - 1540 - 18

Chase had 240 more yards and 2 more TDs. But he also had 27 fewer catches. People in the Chase camp keep overlooking receptions. Receptions are drive production. They keep the ball moving and the offense on the field. The main difference is that Jefferson continued to produce against the elite SEC corners where Chase struggled against the elites but mugged the number 2's. I'll take a guy that catches 111 passes against all CBs over a guy that catches 84 because he has to wait for the right matchup.

What does people ahead of him have to do with a guys skill. Bama was always overlooking Smith because of his weight. They wanted him to red shirt to gain weight and he refused. He went into the season as the #4 WR. By December he was challenging for #1. Too bad they waited so long or maybe they would have been back to the CFC?
    He had 68 catches for 1256 yards and 14 TDs. Pretty good for a #4 WR. Once Bama finally agreed to make him the guy he became the best WR college football has seen in a long time.

You really think so after one good season? Will he have a Jefferson to occupy the #1 CB half the time or will defenses be able to key on him? Will he show he can run more then deep Z routes or screens and get separation? Because he hasn't yet.

We only have one good season from Chase to go by. Its too bad he opted out this year, but maybe he knew it might hurt his stock when people started to see he couldn't separate against the top corners and wouldn't have Joe Barrow throwing deep to him. Or maybe he just doesn't have the work ethic to become elite? It should be noted that Smith can run those Z routes even better then Chase.

Chase opted out and now he is going to come back and try to readjust in the NFL - not college. Expect him to have a stunted first season. This goes beyond matching Chase and Smith up as players - where Smith beats him in every category except weight. Ultimately there is one massive difference between Smith and Chase's game. Chase can be covered on on one and Smith cant. You can choose to stick with that guy but personally I'll stick with the guy who cant be covered. Smith will be ready for 100 yard games week 1 next season.

#1011 ouchy, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

First off, know that I'm cursing at you for posting this.

Secondly, I hate the tweet even more for saying that his friend dabbed Watson up. They get high together?

I'M TRYING TO RESIGN MYSELF TO NOT GETTING HIM, AND TWEETS LIKE THIS STILL LAND WITH ME DESPITE THEM SO OBVIOUSLY BEING BS.

[​IMG]

13. abyzmul

I read that as a typo for daps him up.

14. BroadwayAaron

I just hate that Watson is dumb enough to dine indoors if that tweet is true.

15. abyzmul

If it's true then he was in Miami and will probably say anything to get random dumbasses out of his face.

16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

LOL, you read correctly (I was being sarcastic in my reply, and I'm shocked you of all posters missed it), but it wasn't a typo - that is what whomever texted that actually calls dapping someone up. Which is what made me hate the tweet even more.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I personally have no issue with NFL players using cannabis in the off season (if that was true). During the season is different, except maybe Monday night if they are hurting.

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

jefferson played primarily in the slot ... chase drew the best coverage guy most of the time

19. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

another rando on Twitter...

20. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I can think of one Monday night in which Miami would have been hurting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.