Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced Hal even knows anything about baseball. Like if you asked him what the infield fly rule is, I'd say 50/50 he knows. Steve Cohen is like George; he'll do dumb stuff, but at least he likes baseball and wants to win.

bicketybam likes this.
  2. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Mike Puma
    @NYPost_Mets

Tommy Pham poked his head into the manager’s office and left the clubhouse in street clothes. No word yet that he’s been traded, but the signs point that way.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The fact that they are moving quickly to try to rectify the disaster is encouraging. I contrast that to the hockey team in blue and orange which has doubled down on a roster of dwindling returns.

this is a good haul and if all three players the Mets received for Sherzer and Verlander turn out to be good players it will be $70 million well spent to obtain them.

4. NYGalPal

Tommy Pham is headed to the Diamondbacks for 17-year-old shortstop Jeremy Rodriguez:

#12564 NYGalPal, Aug 1, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Cohen literally bought a farm system. Kind of crazy when you think about it. Yeah, he paid $35 million in Scherzers deal, but I think that was nearly $90 saved in luxury taxes down the road? I could be mistaken, but I think that's what I heard on the radio.

6. dawinner127

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Interesting - according to Scherzer, Eppler and Cohen told him that the Mets were not reloading for 2024, but were instead looking at it as a transition year to try and compete in 2025/2026, and that's why he waived his no-trade clause. I find this absolutely shocking, if it's true. First of all, that directly contradicts everything that Eppler has said publicly, which makes him and the organization look terrible. Second, they've now added plenty to the farm system, but Cohen's money should still make it possible for them to get replacements that would allow them to compete for more than a year or two (don't go after 40-year-old pitchers, go after 30-year-old ones). Third, I have to think that Alonso is incredibly unhappy about how this is all playing out, and he's a free agent next year. They shouldn't take it as a given that he's going to re-sign with the Mets, and if he leaves, this can turn into a disaster of epic proportions. I was all in favor of blowing this up, but that was always in the context of immediately reloading for next year.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38117328/max-scherzer-says-mets-told-2024-transition-year

8. NYGalPal

They could have been telling Max that so he’d waive his no trade but if that’s actually the plan they should have traded more players.
    I’m not even thinking about Ohtani because I think him coming to either NY teams is like 1%. Though even if NY was an option he ain’t coming to a non-competitive team which it looks like the Mets will be for a while. Which is a lovely place to be for a franchise who hasn’t won a World Series since 1986

9. dawinner127

1000% sounds like something you would tell someone to waive their no trade clause. Absolutely.

Ohtani, Urias, Snell, Nola, Yamamoto are the top tier starters next year. The next tier of starters are Wood, Clevinger, and Montgomery.

I think they will still be able to compete for a WC next year. Shit, they probably don't sell everyone off if they have Diaz this year. They lost 8 or 9 games when leading in the 8th or later. How many do they win with Diaz? 6? 7? So they would be right there.

10. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I swear if Buck doesn't play the young guys every day I'll be pissed....and bring up Mauricio! There's no pressure on him when we're not competing.

Not one Mets fan wants to see Vogelbach, Stewart, Ortega, and Mendick play!

11. JetBlue

I took those comments as more of a realistic approach that all of the problems likely can’t be fixed in just one off season and so two years is a realistic timeframe to see the team look to be contenders on paper, not that they wouldn’t begin the process this off season with signings that could also improve the team.

12. NYGalPal

Seriously how are we supposed to watch the rest of the season? Depressing!

13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

it's going to be a shit show from here on out.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

BOGO tickets and $5 beers?

NYGalPal and Savatage like this.
  15. NYGalPal

Brett Baty got sent down.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/06/brett-batys-growing-struggles-presenting-mets-with-new-dilemma/

“The Mets worry about mental and emotional fatigue with Baty, who has spoken to team officials about the difference in concentration level between the minor league and major league levels. In the minor leagues, a player can take pitches off and not worry about repercussions. It’s a different story in the major leagues, especially in New York, where one lapse of concentration can become something that gets dissected for a week.

“You’re under a microscope up here, so you have got to be engaged from Pitch 1 to the end of the game,” Baty said. “That is something I have got to work on and something I have got to learn, so I am going to do my best at it.”

This was actually disconcerting to read. lol Now have to question his moxie. Like why wouldn’t you be engaged from pitch one? Whether it’s in the minors or majors?

16. JetBlue

Because he’s always been so good lesser competition he’s never had to be fully engaged in every pitch to succeed. Because of that the level of concentration required at the majors is more than he’s ever trained himself for and it’s exhausting him mentally. He better figure it out.

NYGalPal likes this.
  17. NYGalPal

The Braves in this series have outscored us 20-0. :(

I typed that the Mets actually score only for the Braves to put up 8 more runs.:(

#12577 NYGalPal, Aug 12, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  18. statjeff22

Make that 34-3 - and they're back on national TV again tonight. I'm quite amazed that they don't have a flex system to avoid garbage matchups like this one.

NYGalPal likes this.
  19. statjeff22

Mets shockingly manage to win the game.

20. NYGalPal