Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Granted idk what guys will become but trading the best reliever on the market for the The marlins 18 and 21 ranked prospects who probably won’t be mlb ready for another 4-5 years if at all? How does that make sense? Why those positions? Why catcher/infielder? Why not more MLB ready talent? Eppler said the return exceeded expectations? What is he gonna get for Pham? A jar of pickles?

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I have absolutely no idea who these guys are, of course, and it really doesn't make sense for the Mets to go after anyone over the age of 22 or so, but Eppler's record certainly doesn't inspire confidence. I still think he and Showalter should be fired, but I know it's not going to happen.

Robertson is just a rental (a 38-year-old free agent at the end of the season), but I don't really see why they needed to make this deal right now - more might have been available in a day or two. It does explain, however, why Robertson was up in the bullpen before the rain delay, but wasn't brought in after it.

If he goes for the pickles, he should go for a jar of Ba-Tampte half sours. Leave them out on top of the refrigerator for two or three days, and then put them in the refrigerator, and they turn into the ideal sour pickle, a perfect accompaniment to a pastrami on rye with brown mustard.

NYGalPal likes this.
  3. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I'm okay trading Robertson for 2 very young prospects, if they keep on playing well, they may be pawns in future trades, and we could always re-sign DR in the off-season.

4. statjeff22

Scherzer increases his trade value. Alonso hits 30 HR for the fourth time in five years (and the 2020 season really doesn't count).

5. NYGalPal

Looks like Scherzer gone. Deal is done he just has to approve it. It would be very surprising if he said no.

6. NYGalPal

You have to think verlander isn’t far behind. What an absolute mess of a season.

7. NYGalPal

Link aren’t working?

From Andy Martino “Max Scherzer will waive his no-trade clause to go to the Texas Rangers, sources tell me and @SteveGelbs. However, the trade is NOT complete, according to a source. There are other issues to work through, not on the players being exchanged but on the financial side.”

8. statjeff22

I find it hysterically funny that Scherzer tried a power play on the team after the game yesterday, and he's pretty much out the door the next day. Obviously they told him that they were dumping salaries and trying to get prospects, and they didn't give a rat's ass what he thought about it.

Gee, maybe if you hadn't given up 7 earned runs in 4 1/3 innings in the playoffs against San Diego last year, and didn't have a 4.01 ERA this year, the team would care more about your opinion.

The only thing I care about is what they're going to get back for him.

stinkyB and JetBlue like this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Unless they get an offer they can’t refuse for Verlander I think they keep him. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if a contending team makes a play for him.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They got Acuna's brother. #3 prospect in Texas farm system and a top 50 prospect in all of baseball. He is probably our #1 prospect right now.

I think I saw earlier per Jeremy Booth that the Mets want INF Cam Collier, their 2022 1st round pick. Collier is the 54th best prospect in all of MLB.

Mets off the hook next year for $43 and now if we can get rid of Verlander's salary? I'm all in. Ohtani in the wings baby.

11. statjeff22

Apparently the Mets are paying half of his 2024 salary.

Ohtani would be great, but I expect that he's going to stay on the west coast.

12. dawinner127

Yeah I saw they are on the hook for $14 this year and $22 next year. Still clear $20m for next year which is great. Let's see what happens for Verlander now.

13. NYGalPal

If they’re planning on trading Verlander he should not be pitching today.

14. dawinner127

Mets trade their closer and one of their aces would signal throwing in the white flag? 2 of the 3 rookies on the bench today lol

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I disagree. Absent of injury he can’t hurt his trade value because anyone trading for him will dismiss it based on his historical excellence. But a great start at the deadline could help the Mets get slightly more for him.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. NYGalPal

I was going on if he gets hurt not performance. It’s moot now though. lol

17. NYGalPal

Jeff Passan “The Milwaukee Brewers are acquiring Mark Canha from the New York Mets, a source confirms to ESPN. The Brewers are sending right-hander Justin Jarvis, who's at Double-A, back to the Mets.

New York isn't done. There will be more deals. @WillSammon was on this one.

18. NYGalPal

Verlander traded to Houston for OF Drew Gilbert & OF Ryan Clifford. I have to believe Verlander said Houston is the only team he'd waive his no trade for.

@AnthonyDiComo

Mets Trade Deadline haul so far: Out: Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, David Robertson, Mark Canha

In: Luisangel Acuña, Drew Gilbert, Ryan Clifford, Marco Vargas, Ronald Hernandez, Justin Jarvis

19. NYGalPal

@BNightengale

The New York #Mets are sending the #Astros about $54 million in the Justin Verlander trade, one executive said, if Verlander's $35 million option in 2025 becomes vested.Verlander is owed about $93 million, meaning the #Astros would pay Verlander about $29 million for 2 1/3 years

[​IMG]

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

At least Cohen owns his mistakes. I wish the Steinbreners did the same. Good for you guys. I mean that sincerely.

Savatage, dawinner127 and JetBlue like this.