Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, May 19, 2011.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Reyes leads off the game with a bunt single and is then pulled from the game, finishing the year at .337. Collins had said he would pull Reyes early if he got a hit, but I still think it's an insult to the fans who actually showed up to the game.

Braun needs to go at least 3-for-4 to overtake Reyes for the batting title.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

In regards to the batting title: I think the Mets need to figure out that when they try to be "smart" or "cute" about something it always backfires on them. If they had let him play it out he may have won the batting title but now that they got "cute" about it I don't think there is any way he wins it.

Any other team can get "cute" but not the Mets. Well them and the CUBS anyway.

3. statjeff22

Miguel Batista throws a 2-hit shutout to end the season.

4. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

And the Mets close out the year with a win. Don't like how the Mets pulled Reyes, and I got a feeling Braun's gonna have more incentive to go 3-4 tonight cause it. It's gonna be a very intersting FA period this year. Will the Mets re-sign Reyes? Will the Mets add a pitcher to go with Santana? Hopefully the Mets won't trade Wright and dump the losers on the team like Pelfrey and Parnell.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Wanna bet? I say he wins it.

6. kbgreen

Whats the bet?

You're a Yankee fan right? We could do team logos as our avatars for a week. I will use a Yankee logo avatar if he wins it and you will use a Mets logo avatar if he looses.

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

No I'm definitely not a Yankees fan.

You can just put in your sig that you lost a bet to me and link to it if you have room, and I'll do the same if you win.

I'll be back online Saturday night so I'll check back then.

8. kbgreen

Good enough for me! you have a bet!

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Mets didn't pull Reyes. He took himself out of the game. This is on Reyes and only Reyes unless you think Terry Collins and his coaching staff should have got into a fistfight with Reyes in the dugout and forced him to stay in the game. If that were the case, then the Mets would have 0 shot at bringing Reyes back.

10. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

That says a lot about Reyes' character.

11. statjeff22

I just heard that in fact it was completely Reyes' doing. First, I apologize to Collins for my earlier post criticizing him (although he did say yesterday that he would do something like that). Second, that is incredibly weak of Reyes, and absolutely does reflect badly on him.

It also makes me care a whole lot less if Ryan Braun does go 3-for-3 and wins the title.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Reyes bunted, it couldn't have been more obvious he was simply looking for a cheap hit, and if he was looking for a cheap hit he obviously was the one concerned about his average.

because he wants the batting title and there wasn't anything else for him to play for in that game? big deal.

13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't shock me if whoever was pitching against Braun decided to throw him meatballs all night...there's a LOT of anti-NY bias and anti-Reyes bias as it is, probably even more so after he pulled himself today.

14. kbgreen

I did not know he pulled himself when I wrote that but now I feel more confident about my bet. The Mets always find a way to turn a good thing into a negative. Why could he not just try his best!

15. kbgreen

braun is 0 for 2. looks like I will have to add a sig

16. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

I know why he did it, but a player of higher character would have played the whole game and earned it. And you have to think that GMs are going to take character into consideration when deciding what kind of offer to make to a guy looking to cash in at the free agent table.

Funny that he did this 70 years to the day that Ted Williams refused to sit out of a double header with .400 on the line.

17. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

The manager was insinuating that he was thinking of pulling him anyway. Just let the Mets fans be proud of the one thing that we got this year and worry about your own team not shitting the bed and missing the playoffs.

18. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Ya I saw Collins post-game interview and I owe him an apology. Collins seemed like he didn't want to take out Reyes at all and seemed to apology to the fans. Ya Reyes will be a Red Sox, by January. Reyes will always be childish.

19. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Well thank fuck that seasons over...if I ever see Pelfrey in a Mets jersey again I will vomit.

We need to dump Pagan and Pelfrey....get Murphy in the order somehow and I cannot see how we sign Reyes with all the other heavy salaries we have.

I see us upgrading the bullpen and Sp , add a CF who can actually field and give Tejada the start at SS.

I think the changes to Citifield have been made to get the best out of Bay and Wright to the detriment of Reyes ability to hit triples.

20. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Oh and its been emotional and props to all who stayed with the Mets this year!!