Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, May 19, 2011.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Astros are likely to be terrible for at least a couple of more years, so Pence is worth less to them on the field than he would be to just about any other team (how losing him might demoralize the fan base is another matter). If they had kept him he likely would have left anyway after 2013. Baseball America rates both Cosart and Singleton among the top 50 prospects in the minors, so they did alright for themselves. They also sent Pence out of the division, on the off chance they might get better a little quicker than expected. All things considered, that's not an unreasonable deal for Houston.

2. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Agreed, you've got to like this trade if you're an Astros fan. Their farm system is terrible and they just got 2 top prospects for a good, not great player. I think people still look at Pence as the elite level player he looked like his rookie year, when he was playing CF. He's probably a top 30 OF'er at this point. Especially compared to the awful Rasmus trade the Cardinals made I think you've got to give Ed Wade some credit on this one.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I think you guys are seriously misjudging what he'll look like with actual hitters in the lineup with him.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

Houston's lineup is horrendous, but Philly's is mediocre at best, and the only things keeping them from being horrendous as well is the fact that they're still drawing walks even though they don't hit, and Victorino's career year + Utley. Both of those guys have missed significant time this year as well.

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Victorino might still be on the DL, I think. Utley's really starting to come along.
    The more I think about it, the more misguided my "grrr...angry post" from last night seems, but I can see Pence really making a difference.
    Amaro is an awesome GM. Alderson is in the right direction, and I like that.

Can we make it 6 today....hope so.
    PS: 3rd....I love that your sig still says fire Omar. God, I hated that fuck.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

Pence definitely improves the Phillies this year and is under team control for 2 more years so his salary won't be too outrageous. I know it sucks when the Phillies get better but at least they gave up some value for him.

7. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Phillies are an old team and they keep losing prospects..all we can do is rebuild from the abortion of Minaya and hope 2 or 3 of the youg guys we have in our system ..Harvey , Wheeler,Havens, Familia etc come good

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Once again the benefits of home cooking come through. That 3-2 pitch with the bases loaded to Harris in the 9th was clearly low, but the pitcher got the call anyway.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He has two body parts in his name- a chin and a cock. This clearly means he is a cocksucker and learned under "greats" like Rocket Man and classless asshole Derek Jetter.

Pence is nothing more than an average right fielder. He's a nice player, but nothing great. He obviously makes the Phillies better right now because he is a worthwhile guy to have in a starting lineup and they didn't have to part with any major league talent.

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Pence and Rasmus both went for less than they're worth, IMO. Cakes, Pence isn't an average player. He's hit 25 homers in each of his last three seasons. How many outfielders can say that? He doesn't walk enough, but he hits for average, and he's joining a much better lineup.

As for Philly's lineup, they're not as bad as they've shown so far this year. That lineup should start doing some damage when you add Pence to Utley, Howard, and Victorino.

#410 Yisman, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Scott Hairston raking today!!
    Huge HR, with 2 outs in the 9th to tie the game...c'mon boys, let's get the win.

Edit: Fuck. Parnell is just about to shit the bed. This guy does not respond to pressure well. It's not over yet, so let's see...

#411 guinness77, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  12. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

Thole is fucking trash

13. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

go fuck yourself thole

14. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

sign of a .500 team is we make sure to follow up wins with losses

going back home to fall to .500 or below like we have all year

15. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Fucking terrible loss. Thole, as usual, can't catch a pitch, wastes the great play by Murphy, and he has Parnell throwing nothing but sliders. Desmond is a .225 hitter, you throw a fucking 101 mph fastball, call some fastballs.
    I'm afraid to see Parnell close. This guy absolutely sucks when he's in any kind of a pressured situation.
    God...throwing God damn sliders to a .225 hitter when you have Zimmermann, Werth and Morse coming up. There goes all the good feelings of the 5 game winning streak.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

i really dont get parnell, he has great stuff but he gives up so many fucking hits.

17. lakersmetsjets49ers

ahhh the mets frustrate me.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I told you Bobby Parnell is a piece of shit.

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

mets bullpen is really on a roll

20. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

fuck this team. and fuck the marlins for being the reincarnation of the 1927 yankees everytime they play the mets, but willingly take it straight up the ass for the phillies and braves.