Mets 2006-07 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by davecrazy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

from the way theyve been throwing money around this off season, one would have to assume theyre going to make a strong effort to hold on to him....one would assume.....

2. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

With all the money put into position players this offseason, you wonder if they can sign him next year. It may depend on the healthy and performance of Wood and Prior.

3. jonnyd

If I was a cubfanI would hope theyre not putting too much hope into the health of wood and prior

4. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I agree, but if by some chance, they look like they are close to "back" then the Cubs may be more apt to let Zambrano walk (or move him)

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that doesn't make any sense. why would they put their future in the hands of oft-injured pitchers just because of one rare healthy season at the expense of letting their one stud pitcher go?

if Woods and Prior do well and make it through the season, it is more likely they move on of them and keep Zambrano.

6. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Wood and Prior are under contract past next season, no? While that makes some sense I think it would be easier to trade Zambrano (not to mention they would get more in return) than Wood or Prior. This all with the assumption that they won't break the bank for Zambrano due to all the money they shelled ou this offseason.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think Wood just signed a 1 year contract, but Prior is under contract. but you break the bank for a pitcher like Zambrano, not let him go for an oft-injured pitcher just because he lasts one year un-injured and may be cheaper.

8. jonnyd

yeah I really dont see teh scrubs trading Zambrano...its been 300 years, I think its time this team actually tries to win for once...I love that "poor ole cubbies" nonsense....and "underdogs" shit....theyve had so much money to spend all these yers and never have

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7:12 AM - Buzz: Mets Interested in Ohka

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

In Newsday, Ken Davidoff writes that the Mets have interest in signing free-agent RHP Tomo Ohka, according to a person familiar with the team?s thinking.

Ohka?s agent, Jim Masteralexis, recently told Davidoff that he is negotiating with two teams from the National League.

Yesterday, ESPN?s Jerry Crasnick reported that Ohka has recieved contract offers from four undisclosed clubs

?the buzz in baseball has pointed to the Phillies, Cardinals, Pirates, Red Sox and Mariners as all having had interest in ohka at some point this off-season?

ESPN lists the Mets, Rangers, Twins, Nationals and Pirates as teams that could be interested in Ohka.

Meanwhile, the Nationals continue to negotiate with Ohka, who pitched in Washington the last four seasons, reports the Washington Post.

Ohka missed nearly three months last season with a partial tear in his right rotator cuff. In 18 starts since his return, he was 4?5 with 4.82 ERA for the Brewers.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

11. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

12. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Exactly what the Mets need! A younger version of Steve Trachsel! Blanton has 229 K's in 403 Major League innings.

Assuming this rumor is true there are 2 possibilities that I see:
    1) Omar is incompetent and should be fired
    2) The Mets REALLY don't like Milledge and fucked the dog by not trading him last season

13. jonnyd

Blanton isnt all that bad 3rd...I think you may be onto something about lastings

14. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Or they view Gomez and or Martinez as better prospects.

And even suggesting Omar should be fired is ludacris.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

His peripherals stink and while his ERA was low his first year last years numbers are what you're going to be seeing from him more often then not.

16. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Ugh. Blanton is not even close to being worth Milledge. Nowhere near close. Good god. They've got to at least get another young pitcher or something in that deal. Or negotiate for Haren. I mean, come on. Joe Blanton. Blech.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

My exact thoughts.... I believe they really thought the Zito thing was a done deal and then the Giants came out of nowhere. If they make this move it's similar to the Jets panicing and signing Curtis Conway after Coles left. It's a strict panic move. The A's are enamored with Milledge and us with their pitching. We need to do better than Blanton.

18. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

why would they give a three year deal to him and not Bradford? Maybe we're trading Heilman?????

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

It's not like they're similar pitchers. I don't know why the acquisition of this fuck whos name I dont want to have to learn how to spell would signal anything happening with Heilman.

20. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

he's a lefty. Heilman is good against lefties. Him and Felicano are better than this guy. Unless he is going to be the long man.