Mets 2006-07 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by davecrazy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

My bad, thought I was quoting Cakes. :eek:hmy:

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Glavine will be mediocre this year at best. Think Steve Carlton with the Indians and Twins.

3. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

What is there that says Glavine of 2007 won't be just as good as Glavine of '04-'06. ERA+ has been in the 110-120 range in each of those seasons. Carlton had an 80 when he was a Twindian.

This isn't like Randy Johnson hitting a wall because he lost his fastball. Glavine can keep doing what he does.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Conversely, what is there that says he will be good again?

His advanced age and the fact his second half ERA was almost a full run higher than his first half ERA in 2006 are not good signs. Sooner or later this guy is going to fall apart.

5. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

If he falls apart he falls apart, its only money. As long as they don't allow his option to vest if he does suck this year it's fine.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Since when did that become hate? Pelfrey wasn't ready in 2006, which has absolutely nothing to do with whether he should be traded.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

They hated how he pitched.

8. statjeff22

First of all, I don't agree that there was so much negativity about Pelfrey. Second, your original point was that Mets fans have now somehow changed their opinions if they don't want him traded, which isn't true either, since not starting him in 2006 and not wanting him traded before 2007 aren't slightly incompatible with each other.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Too many double negatives above.

I felt Mets fans in general were not pleased with Pelfrey (not just the ones at this forum) and did not feel he would ever be a #1 or #2 starter on a good team.

Now he's too good to be traded for Vernon Wells who would be a major upgrade over Shawn Green.

Also, the Glavine signing may mean that Pelfrey will not have a spot in the rotation at the beginning of the season.

If faced with these two scenarios, which is better*?
    Pelfrey in minors, Green in right field
    OR
    Pelfrey in Toronto, Wells in right field

*obviously, there would be plenty of other moves, but just go along with it for the sake of the argument

10. Learn To Swim

Pelfrey in the minors, develops breaking ball, becomes top flight starter, Green and Johnson in right field.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That will mean lots of Sean vs Shawn comments. Oh my.

12. Learn To Swim

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It was a statjeff22 and 3rdand15Draw staple. They would call him Sean whenever Green messed up, which was often.

14. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

What are you talking about? You must have me confused with somebody else, I never complained about Glavine or suggested we trade Pelfry.

15. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

Glavines job this year is to get at least 14 wins and keep us in big games. We know he'll hit a funk somewhere along the line but as long as it's just a few starts it'll be managable. He'll continue his heads up play in the field and with the bat and maybe rub off on a couple of the kids in the dugout. If you keep your expectations reasonable you won't be dissapointed by Glavine. That's my attitude at least.

16. statjeff22

Something along those lines would be my answer as well. My feeling is that the Mets lineup is good enough to carry Green unless he really tanks, but turning the starting staff over so that it is mostly under-30-year-olds by 2008 should be the priority.

17. statjeff22

No, you actually have it backwards. I mistakenly called him Sean in a game at the end of the season (maybe playoffs? he got 3 hits that game), and he got a hit. My mistake was pointed out to me, but I said that I would keep calling him Sean if he kept hitting. He had a great game, so that started the joke. Unfortunately it got a lot less funny pretty quickly, since he went back to his own level, whatever we called him.

It should be noted, by the way, that Green hit .313 in the postseason, which was 9th highest BA of anyone in the NL, and his OBP was .405 (also 9th in the NL in the postseason). He had zero pop, but he was far from being the biggest culprit with the bat in the postseason (those would be Chavez, Wright, and Valentin).

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

Green will play because of his salary but Endy really deserves a shot to start. Or at least platoon. He was better against righties then Green last year and we know that defensively there is no comparison. Now if it was a just a fluke and he goes back to his .650 OPS ways then fine but it doesn't sound like he's going to even get that chance.

19. statjeff22

I definitely agree that Endy deserves a shot. I guess I'm not too concerned about this at this point - there wasn't any evidence last year that Willie didn't like Endy, so I think he'll get chances in both LF and RF (I don't see either Alou or Green starting more than 120 games, so there are 80 potential starts right there). If Alou and/or Green suck and Endy is going great, but still doesn't start, I'll be pissed, but I'm willing to wait and see if that happens before I get worked up over it.

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

You know how Willie is though. He loves Endy as a "guy off the bench" so he's not going to consistently put him in the starting lineup unless he essentially has no choice. This is the same reason why Heilman will never get another chance to start with the Mets.