Metal Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Florida's OBITUARY and Sweden's UNLEASHED will team up for a U.S. tour in September/October. Support on the trek will come from San Diego death metallers CARNIFEX.

Confirmed dates are as follows:

Sep. 16 - Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
    Sep. 17 - New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
    Sep. 18 - Ft. Worth, TX @ Ridglea Theater
    Sep. 19 - Houston, TX @ Scout Bar
    Sep. 20 - San Antonio, TX @ Scout Bar
    Sep. 22 - Mexicali, MX @ The Metro
    Sep. 24 - West Hollywood, CA @ House of BLues
    Sep. 25 - San Francisco, CA @ Slims (w/ POSSESSED)
    Sep. 26 - Orangevale, CA @ The Boardwalk
    Sep. 27 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
    Sep. 28 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
    Sep. 30 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater
    Oct. 01 - Kansas City, MO @ Beaumont Club
    Oct. 02 - St. Paul, MN @ Station 4
    Oct. 03 - Mokena, IL @ PEarl Room
    Oct. 04 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabodys Down Under
    Oct. 05 - New York, NY @ BB King Blues Club & Grill
    Oct. 07 - Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero
    Oct. 08 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Rex Theater
    Oct. 10 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
    Oct. 11 - Baltimore, MD @ RamsHead Live
    Oct. 12 - Louisville, KY @ Uncle Pleasants
    Oct. 13 - Charlotte, NC @ Amos Southend
    Oct. 14 - Charleston, SC @ Music Farm

Tickets for all shows are now on sale through EnterTheVault.com exclusively until May 21, at which point tickets will be made available through all normal ticketing systems.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I was bored last night, so I wandered downtown to listen to the band that was playing at our local outdoor venue. Anyone ever heard of Dimmu Borgir? They were really good, just what the doctor ordered for some serious headbanging. Tight, well-written songs with good guitar and vocals. Kickass.

edit: fixed it. BTW...why hasn't anyone told these guys that face paint went out with the '70s? One thing I can say is that the Scandinavians are doing a good job keeping real metal alive after hearing the tripe that passes for metal these days.

#542 brothermoose, May 2, 2008
    Last edited: May 2, 2008
  3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

*Dimmu Borgir

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sweeeeet. I will be at this one for sure.

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

So I'm probably going to Paganfest tomorrow. Ensiferum, Turisas, T?r, Eluveitie.

6. abyzmul

I missed it when they were here last week. Let me know how the show is.

7. Copenhagen

Copenhagen New Member

Yeah Dimmu Borgir - a legendary norwegian dark metal band. Just like In Flames has defined a swedish (Gothenburgian) death metal sound, Borgir has done in norwegian black metal. Like In Flames they have lost their edge and have become somewhat boring... still a great live-band as you said...

I'm more into death but I prefer 'real' black metal bands like Marduk to Borgir...

8. abyzmul

In Flames didn't define the Gothenburg sound. They ruined it. If you want who defined it, look to bands like Dissection, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Eucharist. The earlier stuff anyway.

#548 abyzmul, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I was watching some show a few weeks ago,forgot what channel. But they had a segment on Black Metal and how it is almost like a mafia in Norway. Church burnings etc.

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Interesting...after seeing those guys back stage (my friend does house sound) and around town, I just didn't see the vibe. Is it them, or is it their followers (professional or fans) that bring the thunder?

11. abyzmul

Bah, that is sensationalism. Read the book Lords of Chaos and you will see just how much sensationalism it is. The church burnings were mainly Varg Vikernes aka Count Grishnakh of Burzum, who was also a stand-in bassist in Mayhem when they were recording DMDS. He's also the guy that killed Euronymous, the guitarist of Mayhem. He's still in prison right now, recording albums and making money. He's a fucking nutjob, but he is the main reason for the sensational press in Norway. These days, black metal isn't as universally reviled as it used to be in the early 90s.

#551 abyzmul, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Yeah. this was a cable channel show,so i'm sure they made more of it than it really is. I haven't really listened to the stuff since the early 90s. But i do like Borgir. Definetly stands out.

13. Copenhagen

Copenhagen New Member

you're right ...

14. Copenhagen

Copenhagen New Member

That church burning story is like "One feather becomes 5 hens" as in the H.C. Andersen fairytale :)

On the other hand people from the northern parts of Norway are straaaaange and its no surprise black metal thrives there...

15. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Well, the show surpassed my expectations by a lot.

T?r came on first even though I thought Eluveitie was supposed to. They were good, not great, but still solid. I like them a lot more on record than live, I guess. They only played one song from the album that I've heard though (Eric the Red).

Eluveitie came on next and performed with a lot of energy and got the crowd going. I hadn't listened to them before this week, but they're a pretty good mix of folk metal and Gothenburg-style melodeath. They had bagpipes, flutes, a fiddle and even a fucking hurdy gurdy. I was in the pit for about 75% of their set.

Turisas I actually liked the least out of all 4 bands based on their album, but they put on a great show. They came out in armor and furs with war paint on. They have a violist and a pretty hot chick on the accordion. They had very good crowd interaction. The vocalist was intense. I spent about half of their set in the pit before I started moving up towards the barrier.

Ensiferum I had started losing interest in lately, but this show completely rejuvenated them for me. Petri Lindroos is a great frontman, he may be no Jari but he's no slouch either. I was pretty close to the stage for them, only 1 layer of people away from the barrier. They gave a great performance, tight playing and lively interaction with the crowd. Their set also seemed to never end, something like 6 songs were "the last song" (not that I minded). During their encore they covered Iron Maiden's "The Trooper." I bought their latest album, Victory Songs, after the show.

I took a bunch of pictures of Eluveitie, Turisas and Ensiferum, I'll post them when I get a chance.

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

17. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

19. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned