McCopter joins the Jets (1 year deal)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 20, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Well I'm with CC on this. Better to have gone in with Petty, Hack and a Rookie. And teams do bring in journeyman QB's late.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not a joke. It's the going rate for experienced backups. No competent NFL GM would go into the season with 3 basically inexperienced, untested QBs and a rookie OC. That's just utter nonsense. You're letting your emotions totally overrule your logic and intellect.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

LOLed for Darnold, Decomposin for Rosen, Crowbar for Lamar, Clowning for Browning.

4. NCJetsfan

It's more than just "overreaction" imo. I can't believe some of the stupid ass posts I've seen in this thread. I hope they all go find another team to root for.
    You are clueless, dude. SMH

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

It doesn't say any such thing. Chase Daniels got $7 million last year from the Eagles. Did that mean he was their starter? No. McCown has pride. He probably still wants to play. He's been in the NFL a long time. He'd probably prefer ending his career playing for a playoff team with a chance to make the SB.

The Jets probably had to include the incentives and pay him a little more to get him to sign here what with the team undergoing a rebuild and Bowles' situation tenuous at best. Then there's the cost of living in the NY/NJ area.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Exactly. It's like they're in a time warp and haven't seen how much QB salaries have dramatically escalated over the last 2 seasons or they don't know the cost of living in the NY/NJ area, or know that with the Jets in a rebuild and their CS possibly being in their last year the Jets are going to have to overpay to bring in a FA.

I just can't believe some of the stupid posts and comments I've seen.

7. PulseJet

Jets overpaid bigtime, in your scenario. Experienced backup QB's are paid $2-4 million a year. At $6mil guaranteed and clauses that can get him up to $8 mil McCown is paid like a low grade starter. There were alot of veterans on the market that could hold a clipboard. Geno was signed for $2 mil. I'm sure you can get Sanchez for the same or less. Same with RG3. Kaepernick? Matt Cassel was paid 2 years $5.5 mil. A bit upstream of them, Foles was basically 2 years, $11 million. He would have been a good addition.

Again, people like this move because they think he wont put up a fuss if he isnt starting. What a shitty reason for paying up for someone.

#187 PulseJet, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

There might be a temptation for Mac to grab another QB to develope in the later rounds.

I know what he said, but if his draft board has a project QB worthy of a 5th round pick, he will grab him.

The question is who will be the sacrificial lamb if he does?

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

I will almost guarantee he's their starter

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you have this "mantra" on cut and paste :rolleyes:

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

First of all Geno just got 2 million...How is McCown worth triple that?

Why do we need an experienced backup? What is the goal of the 2017 Jets?

McCown is absolute garbage

It's not utter nonsense at all

You're a Mac apologist so whatever man...going into year 3 under Mac and the Jets are a complete mess especially at the QB position

Spin it any way you want...we're so far off from being a contender it's sickening

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Maturity, knowledge, and composure.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Denver Broncos did it in 2016, Trevor Semian, 2 years in NFL and was named the starter in his 2nd year, with 2016 1st round pick Paxton Lynch as his backup.

Broncos did not have a veteran QB on the regular season roster for 2016.

They brought in Sanchez but he was cut in the last round of cuts before the season started, I guess Elway saw the wisdom in not wasting any money on a veteran backup to mentor the inexperienced QBs.

He told the HC, OC and QB coach to do their jobs develop and build up the inexperienced QBs.

I consider John Elway to be an extremely competent GM.

#193 Red Menace, Mar 21, 2017
  14. Martin&theJETS

Petty

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why are we a joke for choosing this old mentor backup QB ?

Did you want them to pick up a QB that was a little better, maybe even a little more competitive, you know a one that would lead us to 4,5 or even more of a joke 6 wins, leaving us in no man's land in the draft once again.

We are not going to win the SB, we are not going to the playoffs, so it is pointless to get a more competent QB this season, give the two lads we possess a chance to prove if they have something to move forward with or taking the top QB in next years draft but then again it is pointless taking the best prospect until we improve the OL or he will be killed like Petty nearly was last season.

16. King Koopa

Is he winning us more games? Do we even want to win more games if no playoffs?

Cool answer but means very little

17. PulseJet

I am no fan of Geno but he is better value at $2mil than McCown at $6 mil. That $4mil difference could have been used to retain Mangold maybe?

The Jets pushed Mangold out over dollars and cents. A great Jet. The excuse was to get younger and to hand the reins to Wesley Johnson. Having Mangold on roster on a renegotiated contract would have helped any young QB in their managing of blitz pickups... But fine, save the money.

But then why go older and more fragile with your QB?

#197 PulseJet, Mar 21, 2017
    Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. King Koopa

I'd rather run the wildcat with Powell than give McCown 6 million

Again...I repeat if an old vet scrub QB isn't helping us make the playoffs I want zero part of them

They are only useful for playoff hopeful teams that need an experienced backup

Shitty rebuilding teams should have no use...waste of time and money

ColoradoContrails and PulseJet like this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Is the point obtaining the best cost benefit? Geno and McCown could win the exact amount of games. But, Geno maybe did not want to be back here. The extra $4 million is based on what McCown offers in other aspects.

If the point is to win the most amount of games then we should have gone with Cutler. Keeping Geno creates headlines all summer/season long. To them $4 million extra is worth McCown's presence and alleviating the pressure of the media.

There is essentially guaranteed no locker room turmoil with McCown. He has been a stand up guy for 10 years. Geno has been a shit show to have in the locker room. They do not want insult to injury.

20. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

What's most hilarious about this argument is this team isn't going to be worth a shit regardless. If you're worried about 6 million to a QB who has a better completion to int stat than all QBs on our staff last year and this, then you're just looking to pick out a single piece of garbage from a dumpster full of it. It's absurd

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tiger8mush and NCJetsfan like this.