Mark Sanchez gets reps with first team and outshines Kellen Clemens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Clemens stinking up the TC doesn't surprise me at all, actually.

For those with short memories, let me refresh this for you. Clemens' rotten performance in the training camp is an annual event. He's done it with Pennington. He's done it with Favre. No reason for this year to be different.

I mean, admit it. With all the physical limitations, Pennington is about as good as it gets when it comes to the mental preparation. If Clemens hasn't been able to learn from Pennington OR Favre, chances are he won't pick it up under any circumstance. Who is he supposed to learn from this year? Sanchez? Hell. He's supposed to be TEACHING the intricacies of Schottenheimer offense to Sanchez by now.

All right - so Sanchez threw the safe passes mostly. You know what? When defense takes away just about every option, that's what you've got to do as a QB. That's called "Protecting the Football." Throwing into coverage, which results in an INT, is just NOT what you're supposed to do as a QB in any circumstance.

#61 Zach, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Huh? Why would it make anybody uneasy if the guy you just paid 50 million dollars beat out the perennial bench warmer?

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Very well. Considering Clemens has stunk up every TC he has participated, I would have to claim that TANNY/MANGINI CONSPIRACY theory should come before TANNY/REX CONSPIRACY.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha you have a point there. maybe it's a CLEMENS CONSPIRACY!!! maybe clemens WANTS to be a backup for 15 years instead of a starter for 6!!!!

anyway, i think clemens needs one more year on the bench under the tootalage of Sanchez.

5. Gunther

Gunther Member

If Clemens keeps this up, he should be cut from the team and the organization should try to bring in a vet.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...yea, that's not going to happen.

7. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

2 threads and I've seen the same rhetoric from you. Do you think a guy like Brad Johnson (2008 Cowboys) or a Jim Sorgi make a team better as a second string QB?

How 'bout Rick Mirer?

I'm fine with KC dueling with Sanchez. Let it play out.

8. Gunther

Gunther Member

I'm going to say it because it is true
    You're comfortable with the situation, not me
    I want to win and I don't give a damn about hurting anyone's feelings
    This is a business and I'm all about the business of winning
    If one person can't do it, then let's look for those who can

I think a guy like Vick who is a proven winner is leaps and bounds above Clemens. Cheaper too

9. Don

You only know the Vick of almost three years ago. You haven't a clue what today's Vick is. Nobody does.

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

most of you guys are acting like Clemens has thrown 100 interceptions while Sanchez hasnt throw any. If my count is correct its 6 INT's for Clemens and 4 for Sanchez. Meanwhile Sanchez threw 4 passes in team drills yesterday and I believe 6 the day before while Clemens has been throwing 10-15 times every day.

My point is not that clemens is better for throwing the 2 extra ints, but that in several less pass attempts Sanchez has thrown 4 Int's. and that is not against our top defense, it's against our second stringers!!!!! If sanchez was out there against the top d he probably would have well more than 4 interceptions to this point.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm definitely starting to wonder if they're hiding Sanchez from the first string D on the theory that the defense is ahead of the offense and they don't want him to get blown out early in camp.

12. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

yeah maybe they'd rather beat up on clemens and crush his dreams rather than a guy they invested alot in.

13. Don

Schottenheimer already said yesterday that Sanchez will start getting a lot more reps with the 1s. It's all part of the plan.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That would certainly be a good PR move considering the New York sports media is basically tweeting every single play that happens in camp.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The D is normally ahead of the O at this point.

And of course one thing all the Clemens haters are leaving out is the Jets' receivers suck.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's actually a smart move on their part if they're shielding him from early exposure in a situation where it will be much harder to succeed. Give the players a couple of weeks to get their feet on the ground and then put him with the first stringers. If Clemens just plays lights out over the two weeks then you re-evaluate. This is Clemens only chance to start this year: just blow Sanchez out of the water while he's being protected from the early knocks.

If Sanchez ever gets with the first unit as the main guy on reps the competition is probably over.

17. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

So this is a rally for Mike Vick and not really a "proven veteran" question?

No to Vick for so many reasons, none of which have to do with his off the field issues.

18. abyzmul

Didn't you hear? Gunther is Michael Vick's right testicle.

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't think Rex is worried or should worry about PR from play to play in training camp. It's about football and getting the best guy in there, seeing what each guy can do. There's nowhere to hide when you're a New York QB, might as well get used to it in camp. Sanchez played at USC, he should be used to it as well.

20. abyzmul

You are under the assumption that the Great and Powerful Wood isn't pulling some strings from up on high.