Mario Williams...his role in our defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Apr 6, 2006.

1. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

exactly, thank you.

2. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

Why do I have a bad feeling that it's going to end up more like this:

1. Texans - RB Reggie Bush
    2. Jets* - QB Matt Leinart
    3. Titans - QB Vince Young
    4. Saints - OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

* Jets trade #4, #35, #71 to Saints for #2. Pick value(s) [source: Huddlereport.com] - Jets: 1800 + 550 + 240 (2590); Saints (2600).

Please note I am NOT in favor of this trade.

3. Fakterx

Fakterx New Member

I am beginning to Like Mario more and more. I think he will be the only guy available at #4 that is almost guranteed to be successful. I know it impossible to 100 percent gurantee anything in the draft, but he provides the most security that our draft pick will be well spent.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

JUST look at recent history folks - excluding QB's - when you have a rebuilding team such as our jets one of THE MOST important positions to sure up ASAP is DT/DE......

alot of what happens on defense depends on the ability of the guys up front

want examples - the pats with seymour (of course brady helped but you get the point) - jaguars with henderson and stroud, bears with t. harris, panthers with peppers.

those are several examples of teams that coincided a nice turnaround with a selection of one or more first round defensive studs along the line. put the proper coaches in place with the right system and you have something.

based on the latest - the jets probably take williams at 4 unless they are bowled over by an offer right up to their clock time.

and sure - williams can be effective as a swing DE in a 3-4,4-3, 5-2, 4-6....

this is going to be a draft for the trenches - heavy OL heavy DL. just my style.

jil

5. jilozzo

islandjet

nice thought on the trade up but i think NEXT year the jets are more likely to trade up if the chips fall right.

after this draft and another year of FA - there should be much less holes to fill.

jil

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Len Pasquerilli the only writer at ESPN who knows anything in my opinion was asked who would be the most successful draft pick in 5 years and he said Mario Williams.

7. 1028

1028 Active Member

I would say AJ Hawk...IMO he is the safest bet in this years draft...

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Same here - I'm drooling.

And I'm going to feel dissapointment if Super Mario is gone....

I have locked onto my target - Super Mario plus lots of OL help later....

9. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Snippets from PFW insider....

The last number is the PFW grade for the prospect... For reference Dewayne Robertson graded a 6.5 right before the 03' draft and wouldn't even be in this year's top 10. This draft blows away that draft as far as talent - That draft was the perfect draft to trade down in and NOT have to pay the price and a talent that wasn't worth the draft spot - Trading UP was just Insane.

1. 5 RB Reggie Bush USC 8.50
    2. 9 DE Mario Williams North Carolina State 8.00
    3. 10 QB Vince Young Texas 8.00
    4. 66 OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia 7.50
    5. 47 OLB A.J. Hawk Ohio State 6.80
    6. 7 CB Michael Huff Texas 6.80
    7. 11 QB Matt Leinart USC 6.75
    8. 18 TE Vernon Davis Maryland 6.70
    9. 6 QB Jay Cutler Vanderbilt 6.65
    10. 96 DT Haloti Ngata Oregon 6.60

The growing sentiment in league circles is that the player the Jets will most covet and likely target as the draft nears is Williams, who is most similar to the Patriots’ Richard Seymour and agrees most with the Bill Belichick philosophy of building inside-out. Williams would give head coach Eric Mangini, a disciple of Belichick's, a missing piece he needs to run the 3-4 front he flexibly was able to switch back and forth to New England.

( They must have read my posts <G>)

10. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

Jilozzo,

I agree we have WAY too many holes to fill to trade up. In fact, I don't want to trade up at all! I'm just scared that our new FO will make the move to get a "Franchise QB" to rival Eli in NY, and that they will find a more than willing partner in the Saints (who would love to get D'Brick 2 slots lower than their current pick).

11. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

My fear is that as the draft approaches and the hype builds, Williams will be taken by the Saints. You rarely see players get a grade about 7. Generally, when players get an 8 it means they're seen as Pro Bowl players year after year.

There is nobody on the Jets defense that scares anybody, including Vilma, who is great. The Jets have 3 QBs for better or worse, who will see the field, before a rookie draft pick --even a top 5 pick -- the future is now. They need to take the best player available and it just so happens there's a blue chipper there and he's also a need pick as well.

12. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

Couldn't have said better myself.

BTW, I live in Louisiana, and the current consensus around here is that the Saints will go after D'Brick. All this talk about Brees' contract essentially being a 1 year deal is merely protection for the team against his bum wing. If he stays healthy and produces, they will renegotiate to keep him long term. That being said, everyone here agrees it makes no sense to spend money on a franchise-type (right-handed) QB without going after a lineman to protect his blind side. With the recent trade to the Falcons, LT is now a glaring hole in New Orleans.

13. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

I dont understand all these Mario Williams lovers. He may be a great p but we're going to be running a 3-4 defense and he doesnt fit in to that, we tried moving abraham to OLB and look how that turned out, We cant use our #4 pick on an experiment If you really want to go defense with the first pick then go AJ Hawk, another guy im not big on, i personally think offense is our biggest weakness and we need to find a RB of the future and that man is DeAngelo Williams. Only my opinion though

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

You can find a running back later in the draft who will cost much less and could be just as good if not a better player. Mario Williams is not an experiment. We are not set in running a 3-4 or 4-3, finding a guy who will a little more bulk could be 300 pounds with that type of speed could make him extemely effective in a 3-4 or a 4-3. And when you have a player with his type of ability you game plan to get the most out of them. We may play a 3-4 on first and second downs and then on passing downs go to a 4-3. The bottom line is that freaks like Mario Williams don't come around to often. Same can be said of Richard Seymour.

15. 1028

1028 Active Member

Quick question- did MW play RE or LE at NC St?

16. Tight

Tight Active Member

I think well take a.j hawk. From what I hear Mario isnt the greatest fit for our football team I dont know how true that is, and Hawk Fills a need. Plus how cool would it be to have a Jets Jersey with " Hawk" in the back. We'll see less then a month fellas.

p.s I dont wanna start a thread but what about the Rb from Miss. St ? Jerious Norwood is he expected to be any good ?

#36 Tight, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  17. jilozzo

LE - DISCLAIMER - that is just from seeing about 8 plays during a 2 game stretch.

jil

18. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

You have your wires crossed and you are taking things people may have said out of context... You may have read that Williams would have better STATS in a 4-3 Defense - But, You would be hardpressed to find a DE Better suited for the 3-4 than Mario Williams.... a 295 pound FREAK - He's the PERFECT 3-4 DE - Especially for a defense looking to diguise Fronts - Cuz he's a real good 4-3 guy and a pass rusher as well....

It's Certainly NOT that Williams doesn't fit a 3-4 !!! What you read was that he would be a Pass Rushing force and have better #'s in a 4-3....

Mario Williams is the perfect Richard Seymour for the foundation of the NY Jets..

Bring it on!

#38 Jet Blue, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  19. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

You actually bring up a good point and I was wrong, I never said that Williams wasnt a good player or didnt have amazing potential, I just think that the offensive side should get re-tooled before the defensive, I understand that you take the BPA and now that you mentioned Richard Seymour I understand where you're coming from, Im not going to say I would be upset if we got Williams, I just think that there are bigger needs.

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

its still opinion cause in reality no one knows ..mario could turn into he next Andre wadsworth. so untill these guys get in there schemes and start playing it just a opinion that means nothing .