Mac looks good after player purge (How X Jets are doing)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I know the whole, "Leave being thread police to the Mods", but this forum would be a whole lot easier to wade through if posters didn't think their every waking thought was deserving of a new thread.
    Especially when the same poster makes a new thread for a thought on a subject he already started a thread on. I mean what is the difference between this thread and http://theganggreen.com/forums/threads/mac-looks-good-after-player-purge.89157/
    I mean this thread isn't as bad as the dozens of threads we get every season on uniform colors but c'mon man.

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Williams had a good sense for knowing where a ball was when it was in the air but when it came to tackling he thought the game was 2 hand touch.
    Mac has to be given credit for many cuts and moves but so far the biggest hit was the trade for Demario Davis, he is always around the ball, for this team to be playing the way they are after Rex and Idziks defensive player drafts who were busts is a credit to Mac.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The purpose of this thread was to show what X jets are doing so far this season. So far the people seem to like the thread. Obviously there are a lot of people that found the info interesting. Sorry if you found the info repetitive.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You could have provided the link to cimini’s article. Probably would have been easier than copying and pasting it

Dom and The Waterboy like this.
  5. The Waterboy

Mac's house cleaning & how X jets are doing
    Mac looks good after player purge

I can see how you might miss the similarities between the threads, I mean one says Mac while the other says Mac's and one says house cleaning while the other says player purge.
    And this thread included 11 players while your other one only listed 10 of the same 11 players.

My mistake, these threads are completely different.

All Gas No Shake, joe and FJF like this.
  6. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i'm not the biggest Cimini guy, but you can't just post his work without posting a link

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. The Waterboy

But he changed the title so that makes it completely different

8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Well yes, McCown playing well is certainly part of it, but saying the difference isn't the young talent is naive at best? You're trying to tell me that Jamal Adams hasn't made an enormous positive impact on the field? You're trying to tell me Marcus Maye hasn't made a huge impact? You're trying to tell me Jordan Jenkins didn't just have his best game as a pro? That Sharron hasn't made positive strides since the Raiders game? That Robbie Anderson is becoming a better WR than last season? That Dylan Donahue wasn't playing well before getting injured?

You could just as easily say maybe if Brandon Shell and Charon Peake had played better maybe Fitz wouldn't have looked as bad as he did?

BudJet likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What about this option.....draft a LT with the top 10 pick which I believe the jets will have then sign Beachum and move him to RT, increasing depth by using Qvale and Shell as swing men.

Keep Wesley as Center and possibly sign a FA if one becomes available if not, he can still hold down the fort.

#129 Red Menace, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, it looks like they're a tweak, or two, away from upgrading the OL which is a nice positive looking forward. I guess it depends on how they feel about who they have and what course of action they want to take. But a move or two and it starts to look pretty good then.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If there's no QB they like in the top ten and Barkley is gone (and maybe even if he isn't), and there is a stud LT prospect, I'd definitely make that move. If there's no LT they like that high, then even though it would be a defensive pick, my next choice would be a stud pass rushing prospect or a stud #1 WR prospect.

My preferences (at least at this point) for our 1st round pick are:

1. QB (dependent upon who is available)
    2. Barkley or LT
    3. Edge Rusher (DE or OLB)
    4. #1 WR

I definitely think that they should look to sign a FA C, and maybe a FA RT and OG too.

blackssmagic and Red Menace like this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Absolutely no reason for Jets to mourn the many departed
    5:00 AM ET
    • [​IMG]
      Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FJF likes this.
  13. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

If all of you haven't realized it by now? realize that Mac ALWAYS takes the BPA. After 3 drafts, you should know that. Whatever he chooses to do in the draft will be based on taking the BPA wherever he is picking.......

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd love to draft McGlinchey LT from Notre Dame..
    Good chance he will be gone though. Giants are desperate for a LT.
    There is also a G from Notre Dame Quenton Nelson, who has played his way into being a high draft pick.

I would love to upgrade at C too. Johnson is not a good starting option imo.
    a repeat of 2006 draft would be perfect scenario.. get two Olineman for the long haul.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Beachum wouldn't be a good RT, he's awful in the run game. You tend to want a nasty run block on the right side. It's going to be an interesting off-season for Beachum. Connor Williams from Texas to me is the best available LT in this draft.

I also think Wesley Johnson is one of the worst starters in the league. Jets need to rehaul this line in terms of the LT and C positions.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would address the LT spot in the draft with top ten pick and give Beachum a chance at RT, I know he needs to be a better run blocker but jets use a zone blocking scheme, so yes he can be a little nastier, but overall he needs to be able to have agility in that type of scheme, which he has right now.

I believe he can also be ok as RT because as you already know zone blocking scheme is about flowing the dline one way and have RB cut back into a lane.

If this was old school Dallas Cowboys power run game with moose Johnston as lead full back then yes, you need a monster on right side. I believe Jets can get away with Beachum at RT.

You think Shell and Qvale are better than him? I don't believe they are.

Wesley Johnson has 9 games as a starter, it's a big responsibility playing that position, and he has been better than expected.

Of course I agree with you that Jets can have a better guy than him, that can be said about just any player on the Jets roster but let him develope a little more and see if he can get better.

Right now it's not a position that the jets should worry about, QB, OLB and CB are more pressing needs than center.

JMO

#136 Red Menace, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would still prefer some nastiness on the line, as Beachum gets pushed around at times. I think Shell has been very good in terms of pass-protection, but again the run game leaves much to be desired. Wesley Johnson to me is a good backup, but I wouldn't make him a starter by any means, Jets can do better here, much better. The Browns game, the Browns were able to get a lot of penetration from inside, Johnson has been below average in terms of picking up blitzes. Wesley Johnson is the weakest link.

I rank them in this order:

1 - QB
    2 - OLB
    3 - Center
    4 - LT
    5 - CB

Jets don't need to draft a CB high, but I would like some better depth as the safeties have done a good job covering up deficiencies by the corners.

18. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

All Jets fans?

Btw Gilchrist has been atrocious. If you watch Texans game highlights he is always giving up touchdowns and big plays.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll get compensatory picks. Those guys were all cuts and you don't get compensatory picks for cuts, only for free agents that sign with another team.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Cmon U R not saying that MCC was of the opinion that Hack was a BPA then Dak now are U? :mad: