Lorenzo Mauldin and the 2016 Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ubiquitous, May 19, 2016.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Some solid NFL players have never broken 10 sacks let alone 12 sacks. Mauldin is a good player but he has a long way to go.

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am expecting him to be a beast in 2016. One of the gems Mac got for us..just my opinion he will shine

TNJet likes this.
  3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

You'd cut him if he didn't get 10 sacks huh? Thankfully no one in the Jets organization listens to your dumb ass.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We have a defense that can compete for a championship which is all the more reason to solidify the QB position.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

and here we want to trade away one of those 7

101GangGreen101 and Ptflea2 like this.
  6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

if mauldin can improve his game against the run and stay on the field more there's no doubt in my mind he can be a 10+ sack guy.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ubiquitous, I love your optimism, but I think expecting Pro Bowl for Mauldin this season is more than a little too ambitious/optimistic. If he can get to 8-10 sacks and be solid in stopping the run, I'll be very happy.

8. NCJetsfan

I agree that to expect Mauldin to jump to 12 sacks is too lofty and expectation for year 2, and that I will be impressed if he proves to be a solid starter. OLB is one of the hardest positions for young players to master.

Where I disagree is the last bolded sentence. Mauldin needs to play to help aid his development. IMO the team is not going anywhere this season, so this is the time to play the youngsters. IMO no more "hold the fort" vets should be brought in and played ahead of young players, so I vote "No" to both Freeney and Hall.

9. NCJetsfan

I think it has potential to be very good, perhaps "crazy" good by the end of the season, but I don't think we'll see that right out of the chute. Like the OP I think you're a little bit to optimistic in thinking that teams will be scared to play us now. If the Jets can have the same success stuffing the run, if Lee and Carter can shut down the RBs and TEs in the middle of the field, and if Mauldin and Jefferson can provide any kind of consistent pressure on opposing QBs, again by the end of the season, I think we'll have a D that no one will want to play, but I think it will take most of the season for the D to gel and teams to come to that viewpoint.

10. NCJetsfan

Dude, "12 sacks is very reach-able"? In what alternate universe do you live? Sorry, but that simply isn't reality in the NFL.

Even worse, you'd cut him if he doesn't get 10-12 sacks? Incredible. SMH o_O:rolleyes:

JetsNation06 likes this.
  11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

9 sacks.

275 tackles.

19 forced fumbles.

3 INTs returned for TDs.

The Turk wants to see you in the coaches lounge, bring your playbook.

See ya!!

_

Big Cat and Footballgod214 like this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Let's not put him into Canton yet.

I'd be happy if he can finish the season without concussion. I know what he can do outside. I fear for his injury.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Actually this is the most pertinent point.

Love the player.

I fear he's a very likely concussion away from being done.

_

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i expect mauldin to grow this year and become a better all around football player. i expect him to see the field far more often and hopefully not get injured.

ps, henderson isnt quality depth, he is a starter on this defense. dont expect either rookie to completely fix everything that was wrong last year.

FJF likes this.
  15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I truly don't see a weakness....And I don't see why we won't be dominant from the start. The rookies will have their roles and the rest of the defense will be playing so confident in the same system. Snacks to McClendon is negligible to me and we will never have issues stopping the run anyway

If Leonard Williams can have a Wilkerson/Sheldon type trajectory it will be insane on the D-line....even if he doesn't become quite that good the pass rush will be coming from everywhere (think Rex's first season with maybe not as much DB blitzing)

Our D was great right out of the gate last season (Remember shutting down healthy Luck on MNF?) and they will be even better this season for the reasons in my last post

I'm usually not crazy optimistic with anything Jets but I'm not budging on this one....I think we will be atleast top 5 with a great shot at being truly elite, top of the league

Very excited for it

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm tired of cutting our players slack simply because we've grown so used to drafted busts that an 'average' player seems like a huge win. Every one in this thread is already making excuses for why Mauldin, OUR FRICKEN OLB PASS RUSHER THREAT IN A 3-4 DEFENSE WITH AN ELITE 3 UP FRONT, can't hit 12 sacks.

Really guys???

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Please refer to this and try again.

alleycat9 likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's a very likely concussion risk, not only because of the wreck less abandon and 'leave everything on the field' mindset he plays with, but also with the low center of gravity he plays.

It makes for what could be an excellent pass rusher but also leaves him susceptible to blows to the head from shoulders/elbows and offensive lineman's helmets trying to fend him off.

We seem to be trying to create the linebacker pipeline Bowles has been so enamored with (in referencing the Steelers). He's our speed on the edge and it'd suck to lose him, but the coaching staff has turned the lack of depth at linebacker into a strength this year. There practically won't be enough snaps to go around.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm expecting maybe 7-8 Sacks from Mauldin and 90 tackles or so.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

7-8 sacks and relentless pressure on the QB is what I'd expect. I don't want to overhype the guy but I will say that when he was healthy and in the game last year he almost always made an impact for the Jets. I was constantly saying who the hell is that guy in the backfield consistently. He seems to have a special knack for creating pressure and flying into the backfield. Hope he takes it to the next level this year.