Long Term Ramifications of This Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Dec 29, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm done. You didn't really respond to any of my points and it's obvious we aren't going to agree. I couldn't possibly disagree with you more.

James Hasty likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

No one seemed to like the idea last time I pitched it but Ryan Mallett would be a good replacement for Geno on our Roster if Baltimore is dumb enough to let him hit free agency.

3. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

I understand that there are some special, crazy ass fans out there but seriously, who'd complain about that?

4. PabloJa

Fuck's wrong with you?

[​IMG]

LIJetsFan likes this.
  5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I can think of a few
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'm saying that were not an elite team.

You look at games Vs Browns, Jags, Titans, fins and like every other franchise you expect the win.
    Raiders, Bills, Colts you know we need to play good clean football and it'll be tight but doable.
    Steelers, KC, Pats (unhealthy), Texans have flaws we can exploit but positives that could crush us if we don't perform.
    Pats (when healthy), Bengals, Broncos plus Cards, Hawks, Panthers, Packers, Cowboys (with Romo) and a win gets celebrated like a superbowl!

Hopefully we'll have a good draft and FA and manage to stay as healthy as we've been this year in 2016 but we will have to be moving forward as a team given the lack of 'gimmes' we'll get next year.

7. Gremlin

In slightly wider terms and looking at the challenge of competing for the playoffs again in 2016;

AFC East
    Patriots - Schedule difference is Bronco's (who'll surely be handing over to Brock) and the Texans. Lost some serious talent last year and have had a major spate of injuries but they're still looking to top the AFC. As they'll still have TB, BB, Gronk and a few upgrades next year they'll probably start as the favorites again.

Bills - Schedule difference is the improving Raiders and the 'getting decent' Jags. They're keeping Rex so the 4-3/3-4 problem will see them cut and trade the guys who made that defence fearsome the last few years and they'll pick up some rex-picks with a havy defensive draft which (historically) means their offense will gradually erode to the point where the Bills fans will switch to watching CFL teams before his reign ends.

Dolphins - Damn thats a bad cap situation!

So from what looked like a tight race at the start of this year, could/should be a tussle between the Pats and your hometown Jets next year?

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

JUST WIN SUNDAY!

PabloJa likes this.
  9. PabloJa

Let's fucking do this!!!
    [​IMG]

10. James Hasty

Great, someone needs a punch in the jaw and IK is nowhere to be found.

11. Gremlin

Unless you're a complete homer who had us down for a 16-0 record, I don't see why you're troubled?

I think we all looked at the schedule and probably marked the games against the Pats, Cowboys (with Romo), Away to Oakland and Rexbowl as tricky assignments & next year they get trickier.

We're certainly headed in the right direction now and we do ofc have the weapons to cause opponents trouble but we're not yet in the position where the fans of the current top teams look at us on the schedule and think "Thats almost certainly a loss".

I know we're a self-hating, reactionary collective and the idea of being the team that terrorizes others and has a monopoly on the divisional title is hard to compute but............why not dare to do so?

12. James Hasty

I can see the football Gods snatching away our hopes at the last minute (like Lucy does to Charlie Brown) but with the Patriots and Broncos banged up we have as good a chance to win out as any of these other teams.

While I was also frustrated by our losses to teams that I think we should have beaten the fact the Mangold and Pryor were both banged up at the time is a very big deal in retrospect.

Right now if we take care of Buffalo we will have made the playoffs kicking the front door down with a six game win streak including a victory over the Patriots. No backing in, no needing help from anyone else.

Before and during the season there were plenty of reasons for doubt but over the last five games this team has done plenty to earn my respect.

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

a new contract for a 3rd year player whose never started a game isnt all that pricey. this is nothing like the sanchez situation

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yes we do, otherwise no less an offensive mind than Art Briles wouldn't have entrusted his top-rated NCAA offense to a Geno-like dope.

Petty finished #2 in Baylor history in passing yards with 8195, #1 in passer rating at 166.0 over two seasons, and with a touchdown/interception ratio of 62/10. He was also #1 in yards per attempt for his career at 9.7.

High school IQs do not excel in the Big 12 let alone leading defensively-challenged teams to a top 10 ranking while racking up such glaring numbers.

Yet another Genobot who talks a good "team" game but whose true colors come out when it involves any "non-Geno" Jet QB. :mad::D

#94 joe, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    James Hasty likes this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

fwiw Petty had a high wonderlic score also

16. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Ryan Mallet likes to start, he's got that chance in Balt so he's happy. This team has such great chemistry right now I wouldn't want Mallet anyplace near it. Geno might be a knuckle head but he hasn't acted out the way Mallet did with the Texans.

socaljetfan likes this.
  17. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Ok, and Sanchez had the same score as Peyton Manning. Wonderlic doesn't really translate to the field (unless you're basically mentally handicapped like a Vince Young or Mo Claiborne)

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Didn't say it did. Just another piece that doesn't discount him. It's another evaluation tool that the NFL teams use

I've watched many of his interviews and he appears to me to be very intelligent, very mature, and seems to have a real inner confidence and strength. I'm eager to see him grow. Btw, Sanchez never gave me that impression. Geno certainly hasn't either

19. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

That's fine. I never said Petty can't or won't be a good QB. All I've said is that we have no evidence that he is ready to play because we haven't seen him on the field, and that if he was showing enough he would probably be the back-up QB on game day instead of Geno. So many people are acting like Petty is the next big thing but in reality he's a 4th round draft pick that we've only seen play with 3rd stringers in some meaningless preseason snaps. That's not enough material for any of us to realistically have faith that Petty is the answer for anything. Hopefully he ends up being a hidden gem.

Fitz, for as smart as he is, has always had the knock against him actually his decision making, whether its overestimating his arm or forcing balls where they don't belong. He's cleaned that up during the second half of the season for sure but the story of his career isn't necessarily that of a good decision maker. But we seem to discard QBs so quick and expect them to play so young. Fitz is 33 and playing his best football. Cutler is 32-34 and the same goes for him. Even Josh McCown is playing his best ball way late in his career.

Everyone's quick to cast geno aside. I understand, his play hasn't been great. In fact, at times it's been dreadful. Realistically he wouldn't have been starting until this season himself but shit happens. We see QBs turn it around late all the time. It's only a few rookies that really step into the league and set the world on fire. Perhaps is we had been forced to start Petty all season he'd bomb out and you guys would be talking about how awful he is. How about we see how both QBs develop and let the coaches make the best decision for the team and stop acting like the grass is always greener on the other side. In 2013 everyone wanted Geno to start over Sanchez and we saw how that turned out. Two years in MM's shitty offense is a terrible way to judge a QB. Give our guys a chance and trust our coaching staff to make the best decisions based on what they see.

20. James Hasty

Geno is no angel either but Mallet is a better QB.