Long Term Ramifications of This Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Dec 29, 2015.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that, except for the brick part, i think it has to be addressed next year. i dont see many scenarios were we keep brick and wilkerson next year.... not without a mass exodus elsewhere. it is going to be interesting to see how they go about it. I think they also have to address marshalls contract. i think they are proactive and payhim and avoid a hold out situation.
    to me he is just super raw and not pro ready. i thought it was a solid pick based on the tools, but im not sure he can be put in an nfl offense. i just think he has too much to learn to go in anytime soon. he is fortunate to be behind fitz right now. i think that will only help. i just dont see him as being a real long term option at starter but i do think he can develop into an nfl player/solid backup
    I love Mauldin, i think he will soon be the leader of this defense. he can/should be a starter. that doesnt help replacing harris though. i dont see tompkins as a marshall type replacement but i do like him. i dont view devin smith as an every down WR. or #1/#2 guy either.

right now we have Revis, Marshall, Fitz, Brick, Mangold, Harris all in there 30's. and other then potentially petty, i dont see anyone currently on the roster who is a potential to fill in as a long term option as #1 WR, #1 CB, starting QB, Left tackle or center.

that doesnt mean we cant draft/bring in guys. we obviously can. but those are the things that imo will determine this teams future, which was my point

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

having a 30+ QB does not kill us. Also a WR who does not rely on speed can play til he is 35--or longer if he is strong enough. Some of the others are cuttable.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  3. jerseyjay14

no, it does not kill us. but to sustain long term success you cant really sink huge money into 30+ year olds or have them be your top 5-6 players.

4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Long Term Ramifications: We don't blow an early draft pick on a QB (because we blew our chance at an early draft pick by winning). This is good, because the QB class this year is nothing to write home about, and because it buys Petty some more time to sit around and develop under a QB that knows how to make reads and stuff! The downside being that Chan will be growing ever more ancient here, and it would be better if Petty were learning an offense that he'll be playing in for a long time.

5. jerseyjay14

i wouldnt rule out or be at all against drafting a 2nd or 3rd or 4th round qb in next years draft. im not sold on petty being the future of this team and if there is a better prospect i think it would be smart to go after him

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't draft a QB...Finally the Jets have some semblance of stability at coaching and the QB position. Fitz likely will get a new contract and maybe the Jets starter for at minimum 2 years. That gives Petty 3 years of development, likely under the same offense...Let him simmer on low heat so he can be prime to play within the next 2-3 years...it's a good situation.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets need a QB to replace Geno. There's short-term stability at the QB position, Petty isn't confirmed to be the QB of the future. He needs young competition.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO the only way that Petty sits for 3 years is if the Jets decide he is at best a career backup. He probably will be ready to compete for the starting job in TC next season. If/when he outplays Fitz in TC, then he should be the starter.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It's not Petty time

11. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

So he's not ready to even serve as a back up this seaspn but somehow he's going to be ready to start next year? Yeah, doubt that.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  12. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Petty will absolutely sit next season unless there is an injury. Even if we lose 45-3 this weekend, It will be Fitzy's job to lose next training camp.

13. NCJetsfan

I agree that it will be Fitz's job to lose, but if Bowles and Mac are true to their word, there will be a competition for the starting spot. With that being the case, I think saying that "Petty will absolutely sit next season unless there is an injury." is premature. Saying that he "probably" will sit is one thing, but saying that he will "absolutely" sit is quite another.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Realistically, you want Petty to move up the depth chart. To go from 3rd to 2nd - as much as I want Geno gone, I would like to see a competition between Petty and Geno for that 2nd spot.

LIJetsFan and JetLifeLo like this.
  15. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

At this point I'm not opposed to Geno sticking around at 2 or 3 on the depth chart. He's cheaper then any other FA we'll get in and better then using a pick to replace when we have needs elsewhere. If someone wants to give us a 7th for him then I'd certainly use that for another rookie QB longshot but I'm really expecting us to look at OLB, Tackle and maybe WR at the top of our board.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

If Petty is capable of starting and playing at a high level, why limit him with just being the backup? As well as Fitz has played this year, we know he isn't the answer and is limited. Also, why waste a year of Petty's career having him sit on the bench if he's capable of starting? Now he might not be ready or might not be capable of starting. If so, fine, have him backup, but if it's a tossup between Petty and Fitz, then I lean towards going with Petty. As far as Geno, I think he'll probably still be here, but I have little hopes of his being even a capable backup at this point. He just doesn't seem to "get it" in terms of the mental aspects of the game.

17. NCJetsfan

He was a rookie this season. He had to learn the offense, adjust to the speed of the game, as well as learn to read complex Ds and go through his progressions. It's not like he had to learn how to play QB or change a bunch of fundamentals. He's a smart kid. He's had a year in the system, to adjust to the speed of the NFL, and to work on reading NFL Ds. It isn't rocket science, and shouldn't take him 2 years to learn that imo. Based on what I've read, Fitz doesn't make but a couple of reads. Petty's already better than Geno regarding the mental aspects of the game and is more accurate. If Bowles thinks Fitz still gives them a better chance to win, doesn't want to change from what gave them such great chemistry and success this year, or that Petty isn't quite ready, fine. I have no problem with Fitz starting again and Petty being the backup. Bowles did say a few games ago when Fitz got hurt that if he needed to play Petty he'd have no qualms with doing so. Does that sound like someone who isn't ready?

I find it interesting that a lot of posters were saying that they wanted to see Petty play this year, and now everyone's saying he needs to sit for another year or two.

18. NCJetsfan

Fair enough.

19. NCJetsfan

Hopefully, Chan isn't going anywhere for several years. If he does, hopefully the Jets will find someone who will utilize the same or very similar system. One of the things that has continually killed the Jets is changing systems. We have an offensive system in which our players are flourishing. It should fit Petty well and I think this is the offense that he should play in for a long time. I don't want to see a different offensive scheme/system brought in any time soon.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think Chan will be going anywhere. Why? A few reasons.

One, he's an older guy who came out of retirement to coach this offense. It's highly unlikely that he wants to spend the countless hours and days, at his age, managing an entire nfl team.

Two, why leave? If he takes on a head coaching gig, that would be a HUGE jump from retirement. A life changing jump. Is he at that stage? Or would he rather sit back, manage an offense that's putting up great numbers and go for the ride? Hope to end his career with a ring.

I can't see him leaving. If this was a young guy ready to take on a new gig, then maybe, but Chan Gailey, a 63 year old man out of retirement? Nah, I don't see it

Footballgod214 likes this.