Let's talk WR's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Jan 5, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i mean your preaching to the choir. i'm not impressed with london but I like him over burks. My WR ratings for the top 5 right now are
    1 williams
    2 wilson
    3 olave
    4 dotson
    5 watson

Richard Lyman and Rockinz like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Just watch how many times he got picked up off the turf by teammates it happened a lot. An ankle break is one of the worst injuries you can have for a WR by the way. That can’t be taken lightly.

Yes, you are correct nothing else popped but his 50/50 ball abilities and the ability to box out corners for back shoulder catches. Routine 10-15 yard catches don’t pop. But I’ll tell you he dropped 2-3 routine 10-15 yard catches a game and that definitely popped. This illusiveness you speak up I just don’t see. I see him take big hits that surely pops too. Watch his best game in college vs Wash st it is exactly what I’m talking about. Great 50/50 ball abilities and red zone threat but drops easy passes, gets blown up, gets his bell rung where his teammates have to scrape him off the turf.

3. Rockinz

Jets just don’t have that luxury. If we were KC or Tampa ya sure roll the dice on a prospects ceiling any day. We are in a full rebuild and can’t afford boom or bust at this point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Feels like London is one of the most polarizing potential Jets draft picks in a long time. People either seem to have him as WR1/2 or don't want anything to do with him.

jdub03 and Rockinz like this.
  5. Rockinz

I think Press coverage will be a huge issue for London at the next level.
    He truly is polarizing. Mostly because he shows a certain skill set that can be dominant. He is one of the best jump ball receivers I’ve ever evaluated. I just don’t think that’s enough. Along with the injury history and lack of awareness that exposes him to big hits. His foot speed is a problem in press coverage. Press in the NFL will be a real problem for him because are corners are longer and stronger than the Pac 12. I see him as TE that plays WR because he isn’t big enough for TE. Problem is you need speed on the outside unless it’s the red zone where he can be a mismatch 1-1. If he is successful that’s how he will make his money. If he isn’t it will because of injuries and lack of speed.

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree. I think his size and length will make him stand out against press coverage. I’m more concerned with smaller WRs like Wilson and Olave. London’s foot speed shouldn’t be an issue. He’s not “always open” bc he’s faster than everyone else, he’s “always open” bc he can elevate over everyone else.

NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  7. Rockinz

I disagree Roach. QB has 2-4 seconds in the NFL to make a pass from the pocket. In press CBs jam receivers to slow down the play for the rush to get there and unless your WRs can come off the block and have explosion in the first 5 yards to create separation the QB isn’t going to the outside with the ball.

8. REVISion

London was probably the best WR in the draft vs. press coverage:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-top-five-wide-receivers-press-coverage-2022-nfl-draft

That, along with leading almost every receiver in missed tackles forced per game, yet you keep saying how slow his foot speed is.

KingRoach likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Press vs NFL corners not Pac 12. Corners that are longer and stronger. I think once they jam him he just doesn’t have the explosion to get separation for the QB to get him the ball. Add that with a broken ankle and taking big hits in college. No chance I risk the 10th pick on him.

10. KingRoach

Full disclosure, I wouldn’t spend #10 on any of them.

*if can only evaluate WRs on how they play against NFL corners, how do we ever evaluate a WR? It look like the stats say he has the best chance to beat press compared to the other prospects from This year.

#370 KingRoach, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. REVISion

Of course competition gets harder, but if any of the receivers in this class are going to be successful vs. press in the NFL it seems like London is a prime candidate.

How did he do so well against press in college if he's allegedly so slow and weak?

How was he 2nd in the nation in missed tackles forced per game if he's so unexplosive?

Sorry but his play just goes against basically every weakness you think he has.

12. Rockinz

You don’t have to be sorry. That’s your opinion and that’s fine. I feel he will struggle getting separation especially when getting jammed. There isn’t that explosion on tape.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Why does Alec Pierce not get more attention from us? Is it because his prospect profile appears to be Denzel Mims, Jr.?

I'd understand given the need to start winning NOW, but it'd be a shame to me if Mims' lack of development caused JD to stay away from high-end athlete projects.

Richard Lyman likes this.
  14. KingRoach

He doesn’t need vertical separation, he has horizontal separation

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Remember... as I posted before you need a receiver who compliments the present Jets QB...otherwise it won't be as good as you want

Since Wilson can be all over the Map with his speedballs just gimme "best contested" catcher D London or "best hands " G Pickett

OTOH getting two blue chip defensive players in top 10 would would be a smart move too..Wilson already has Moore, Berrios plus he was fed some great FA tight ends . Anymore is gravy cause HE has to come through for us

FTMR you want a decent Defense to keep us in every game without falling behind 2 scores

Wilson playing from behind game after game? Won't matter if have 5 top receiver on hand....Sorry don't have a mustard seed of faith the Utah kid is gonna morph into A Rogers so fast

#375 NYJetsO12, Apr 16, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    KingRoach likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. I am a big proponent of a better D with the top picks. IMO, Any WR we get in this years draft will not immediately help Wilson and the team win games in a shoot out nearly as much as improving our D with the two premium picks and keep the game manageable. We can’t even slow down the run for fuck sake. Saleh wants position less players in the secondary to disguise coverage and a strong pass rush. We lack at Edge, top safety and top hybrid CB to accomplish that. Not to mention fast backers.
    I hope we add a good WR in free agency before the draft and put this discussion to rest. We will pick the best available WR later with the second pick so all the argument about Burke versus London becomes a mute point since we don’t know how many WR will go first round. There are at least three or four that we might take to improve our depth that are fast, shifty route runners and play both inside and deep. Plus I still hold hope for Mims.
    We are forgetting that the goal is to improve our running game first, and leverage two TE sets to help loosen up our WRs. Well we will not do that successfully if we are always two scores down or more by half time.

NYJetsO12 likes this.