Let's Settle This: Clemens or Pennington?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10toColes, Sep 16, 2007.

?

If Pennington is healthy, who should start at QB next week?

1. Pennington

52.4%
  2. Clemens

47.6%
  1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I answer Clemens because I firmly believe the Jets will be better off long-term giving Clemens the job. Long-term is the key. It doesn't look like we're able to compete for a title this year, we know what we have in Pennington and that he is an average quarterback. You may be able to win a title with him, but he will never be the reason why, he is far too limited. Clemens may very well be an upgrade over Pennington, we certainly drafted him to be one. And the other key issue is: whether or not Chad is better than Kellen right now, we know that Chad cannot be the longterm answer at quarterback. He is far too injury prone. You can't afford to have your quarterback's arm hanging by a thread, especially when he consistently gets hurt, and at this point, you can call him injury-prone.

Kellen Clemens is our quarterback in the future. He did something in the 4th quarter against Baltimore that Pennington probably could not do. For that alone, I would like to see him get another start, and if he struggles and we win, we can make Chad the starter, saying that he's healthy enough to play next week. If we lose, the season is pretty much over.

2. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

FIRST OF ALL..............lets just take a few moments and reflect why we watch football.

The reason we love the sport is because it is fun to watch and play. (I think some of us have played in high school so we can relate even better.)

When CP plays......there is no fun in watching him because there is no "spontaneous" to his game. Everybody knows that he is conservative because he doesn't posess the arm to make good fast throws. He can only dink and dunk and I don't see any fun in watching a qb doing that.

WHEN KELLEN CLEMENS WAS PLAYING YESTERDAY.......I have visions of Vinny playing for the Jets again and it sent shivers down my back of watching a game that would actually be fun. Seeing your team go down the field with a quarterback that is just learning the game and can make throws like the one he did towards the end of the game with Coles along the sideline........you know its going to be fun because of the unpredictable nature of such a quarterback. he has a little bit of jay cutler in him from what i have seen from the broncos. Maybe he will be even better soon but all i know is that seeing him mature yesterday towards the end of the game (and maybe if douschebag MAC would hold onto the damn ball) we are watching a young quarterback develop. I am so excited to see him play again.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Man, this has to be a record number of votes cast for a poll on this board.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The last time Pennington was healthy was half way through the 04 season. This is something that is entirely over looked by most of the fan base. He is healthy based on a guy sitting on a coach on Sunday he is not a healthy QB after 2 shoulder surgeries.

5. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I like watching CP play. He might not have a cannon for an arm but he manages the game well and is able to place the ball in such a place where the receiver can get into space and make a play. Plus, he shows unexpected flashes of athleticism in big spots.

I am happy I am not Mangini because I am not sure who I would start.

6. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I'll take a win over excitement. I got excitement from watching the UCF Knights hang with big bad Texas but then felt like shit when they lost.

7. winstonbiggs

Unfortunately the last time we had a healthy Pennington was half way through 04. Last year he wasn't hurt but he was far from a guy with a healthy NFL arm and he has shown nothing so far in pre season to indicate that he has recovered from 2 shoulder surgeries to be more than a game manager.

In 1 quarter Clemens showed that he can carry this team in a tough spot.

8. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

Did any1 else notice the majority of yrds gained were bc of Cotchery after the catch. Look i like Clemens for the fact that when he throws the ball he usually wont leave his receivers out to dry with a floater. But seriously, 1 quarter, 1 drive down the field and the guy is ready for anything?

Like i said, if he starts in MIA and shits the bed, lets see who will still have faith in him bc Penny has beaten the Phins how many times in a row?

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Lets also remember, if he had the wherewithal to put some air UNDER that ball in the First qtr, when stone hands made McCallister leave his jock on the field, its a tie game at the end, we kick 3 and go home.

10. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

too many what if's..

IF Stover doesnt miss a FG then it woulda been tied. If nugent doesnt miss then we still mighta won by 3.

All im saying is his time is not now.. it will be soon, but not yet.

11. winstonbiggs

Penny shit the bed at least 4 times last year, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Bears and Buffalo and he was a 6 year pro.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I can't believe it is so close. It also shows you where the mods are leaning. :eek:hmy:

13. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

Jax- No doubt about it

Cleveland- Didnt Baker score a TD because he was forced out but it was a bad call by the refs? I wouldnt call that shitting the bed.

Bears- Didnt they to to the SB last year?/ How is losing to them shitting the bed. I believe he was sacked a ton of times in that game too

Buffalo- Ehh i wouldnt consider that really shitting the bed either

14. winstonbiggs

Cleveland 11 for 28 108 yards 2 INT's. Yup the refs cost us the game Penny was great against the feared Cleveland defense.

Chicago went to the SB we put up a donut against them us and the Packers were the only two teams to do nothing on O against them.

15. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

i understand where your coming from, and your points are valid, but were talking about a guy who has proven himself and a guy who has started 1 game. If Pennington was a 1st time starter last year and had those types of game then you crush him.

But like it or not, numbers dont lie and the jets are a better team with him then without him

16. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

yeah. i forgot that pennington threw a 70yd td bomb against the patriots last year. all cotchery had to do was to catch the football. i mean it's not like he turned a 5yd pass into a 70yd TD by braking a few tackles

17. winstonbiggs

Numebers don't lie and Pennington is not the same QB since his injury in 04. He averages about 1 TD to 1 INT per game since that injury and the Jets have been far from a power house scoring machine. The big lie is since Pennington wasn't hurt last year he is the same guy we saw in 02.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

fyp.......................

19. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

come on guy. Your justifying 1 pass pennington's made over 6 years. your basing 1 quarter on Clemens. If one quarter is enough for you to base how hes gonna play then fine, im done arguing about it

20. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

i agree, i want the jets to win, ill get excitment from watching my wvu mountaineers