Leonard Peters

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by UNWarCriminal, Apr 30, 2007.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Every year we get a UDFA or a late round pick that a bunch of people fall in love with... and the guy makes the team and sits on the bench all year long and people sit there and ask themselves, 'Why isn't this guy getting any playing time?' I think I'll wait on this one.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Kerry Rhodes is our Free Safety. Now who's the retart?

3. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

couldnt agree more

4. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

whew, I couldn't wait till 900 guys got drafted, so we could sign Peters as an UDFA.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Peters picks his own path
    By Dave Reardon

http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/05/sports/story05.html

There's a status between final-round pick and bottom-rung, rookie free-agent cannon fodder that is not bad at all. There's no big money up front, but there is big opportunity.

Leonard Peters didn't get drafted, but he considers himself more fortunate than many who did get picked by NFL teams last weekend.

The former Kahuku and University of Hawaii safety said free agency is better because he got to select where he would go. And because money is not a priority for Peters, he got what he considers a great deal with the New York Jets.

"For me, the free-agent market worked," Peters said. "I took a cut on the signing bonus, but I had people calling me, and that was better for me."

Because he was in demand compared to other free agents, Peters weighed offers from Arizona, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Tampa Bay. One of his biggest considerations in choosing the Jets is that they told him he would be the team's only new safety. He also took an instant liking to coach Eric Mangini and others on the staff.

"I got a good feeling from them. When we talked it wasn't about football. They wanted to know about my tattoos and my Hawaii background. And I know Coach (Rich Miano) got his shot there years ago when he went there."

Miano, Peters' position coach at UH, was drafted by the Jets and played the first five of his 11 NFL seasons in New York. Peters will appear at the Hawaii speed and quickness clinics, coordinated by Miano, this weekend at UH. The sessions are today and Sunday, 8:30 to 10 a.m. Call 739-5444 for information.

Miano said he thinks Peters will charm football fans in the world's largest city. Although Peters has traveled the globe as a professional Polynesian dancer, next week's mini-camp will be his first visit to New York.

"He's a country boy, but he just has to do what he's always done. He's so grounded, and people can't help liking him. I think he'll be a Pied Piper, cult hero and role model," Miano said. "I'll just tell him that in New York you're never as good as they tell you you are and you're never as bad as they tell you you are."

Peters said he plans to remain in New York through June to acclimate, work out and absorb the Jets' ways of doing things.

The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Peters is one of four Kahuku graduates to get a free-agent deal after last weekend's draft. Offensive linemen Tala Esera (UH), Palauni Ma Sun (Oregon) and Tavo Tupola (Utah) will be trying out for the Dolphins, Redskins and Texans.

Five other Red Raiders were on NFL rosters last year, making Kahuku one of five high schools nationwide tied for the most alumni in the league in 2006.

"It speaks for itself," Peters said. "We've had great coaches and it's a great community. Who knew a little part of an island could produce so much? We didn't have any facilities, we just did what we could do with what we had. A lot of people were willing to sacrifice a lot."

Peters said former Kahuku and UH player Louis Santiago was one of the Kahuku coaches who inspired him most.

"He's still a mentor for me and a force in my life. I just had dinner with him last night," Peters said.

Peters -- injured through most of his Warriors career -- said he is the healthiest he has been since high school. A nagging Achilles' injury that hurt his NFL Combine performance is finally behind him.

"It's the greatest feeling. It helps so much to feel free to lift the way you want, work out the way you want," Peters said. "When I was on the mainland getting ready for the combine it was all technique stuff for the tests."

6. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Shit, was hoping no-one had said it so I would have the pleasure of bringing up that great avvy of his again :lol:.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's a great article and this really stands out to me, many UDFA know that making the roster is tough so they'll take the money but the fact that the Jets kept their word with Peters speaks to the character of this franchise. It also leads me to believe he has a very good chance to make this team should he stay healthy.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

9. Murrell2878

Who are you kidding. You liked the article because it talked about Rich Miano :lol:

10. Murrell2878

Peters Brings His Fire and Edge to Jets
    Published: 05-13-07

By Randy Lange
    Editor-in-Chief
    Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/peters-brings-his-fire-and-edge-to-jets
    "Warrior" is an overused term to describe fierce athletes, but it may be closer to describing Leonard Peters than a lot of other football players.

Peters is the undrafted free agent safety from Hawaii who is perhaps the most interesting candidate participating at this weekend's New York Jets rookie minicamp. And much — but not all — of the interesting elements come from his Polynesian heritage.

Such as his hair. One of the first things you're likely to notice about Peters in uniform is his dark mane billowing out of the back of his helmet, down to his numbers, Troy Polamalu-like.

"With a Polynesian background, it's always been a warrior-like thing to grow your hair," he said. "I don't know about comparing me to Troy because he's one of the greatest players."

Peters describes the Steelers safety as a good friend, dating to Polamalu's first Pro Bowl appearance at Aloha Stadium.

"Our high school football team [Kahuku High] actually does security for the Pro Bowl," he said. "So I was able to walk around with him and his wife for two days and pick his brain. He is a great guy and an inspiration."

Inspiration describes what Peters and a teammate came up with to bring together their Hawaii teammates before games: a traditional Maori dance form called a haka.

"Because we are from Hawaii and are called the Warriors, we tried to think of something from a Polynesian background that we could do," he recalled. "So we asked some New Zealand Maori people if we could dance the haka and they said OK. And we asked some mainland players who were on the team and talked to them about it before we even danced or practiced it, and they said they were OK with it. I think it just draws us closer as a state and as a football team."

But Peters goes farther back in years and deeper into the culture than that. For instance, he's got tattoos running up his left arm and spilling over onto his chest.

"Most people walk into a tattoo parlor and point at something they like. Each symbol of my tattoo represents a different generation of my family. And I'm not done yet," he said, pointing to some new body art working its way up his right calf.

Then there is the fire knife dancing. Think baton twirling, but with flaming swords instead of batons.

"I grew up dancing, since I was in fourth grade all the way through high school," he said. "I've traveled all over the world, to Taiwan and Japan."

So, no, Peters had never been to New York before this weekend, but the potential of playing in the Big Apple is hardly going to faze him.

But will he ultimately play here? That's what the minicamps and training camp will help determine. Peters went undrafted probably due to speed and injury concerns — a Hawaii TV station pointed out damage to his ribs, shoulders, arms, spleen and knee over his college career. He's known as a big hitter, something he said began from his early participation in rugby, but sometimes the guy he hits doesn't stay hit.

The Jets' coaching staff will polish up this Polynesian gem and we'll see if Peters can cut it at the NFL level. He seems to have plenty of toughness and focus. As he said about one of his other pursuits:

"You get used to playing with the fire and the heat. No matter if you're the best fire knife dancer in the world, you're going to get burned, you get nicks and scars. But it comes with the territory, just like football."

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

12. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Probably never, especially considering he took #43.

As for Peters overall, he's a solid player, but it's good to keep realistic expectations of the guy. He's basically a power SS type, and he's not going to beat out a guy like Eric Smith, who's just as good/better as a tackler, and is a much more impressive athlete. I can see him sticking in a backup role because he's probably a beast of a special teamer.

13. ANJI

ANJI New Member

LOL, why did he take 43????

I think Peters could be a player and I don't think is as slow as he was timed. If Peters really runs a 4.56 when healthy like Kerry Rhodes did coming out and Coleman ran a 4.6 coming out...... I can only hope we really found a gem.

14. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

how the hell didnt he get drafted....

15. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

I completely agree but i just watched Mangini's presser on newyorkjets.com and he's in love with this kid and he's emerging as a leader among all the rookies, ufdas and walk-ons. i'm sold on this kid based on his huge hits alone and his speed.

16. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :up:

17. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I'll reserve judgement. He's a UDFA, and coaches love to fall in love with them since they work hard. Now, the real shame is a guy like him, with the work ethic, isn't given the talent, but some of these turds (not anyone in particular) get all the talent, and don't use it to become great.

18. Barry the Baptist

I really hope this guy makes the team, I was a Hawaii fan growing up and we only had 2 guys play on the Jets in all the 20 + years I've been a fan. Nuu Faaola and of course Rich Miano. I continue to think of the UNLV/Hawaii football game in Vegas 3 or 4 years ago and I absolutely loved this kid then. I just remember him climbing into the stands during a fight that either involved or was too close to his family. I already know I'm getting a Peters jersey if he makes the roster.... It's not everyday we get a Warrior in the team.

19. Barry the Baptist

Here are some mages of his tatoos that I found

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy is freaking jacked

20. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Well you know it's because of his injuries. That's why in the youtube videos he has a knee guard on. He maybe another "Boar Hunter" but IDK, looking at those highlights his noise for the ball is of a NFL level safety....... it appears to me his question marks are with his body and can he hold up. He ran a 4.68 in a home depot soccer thing still not 100 percent, I see the leg brace is off the right leg in the jets photos and Eric loves him. We will see...