Leinart Overanalyzed? ABSOLUTELY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vilma#51, May 2, 2006.

1. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Are you actually even daring to compare yourself to a top 10 draft pick? Are you really "pretty sure" that you wouldn't have been able to put up those numbers? Even though you're constructed of "pure muscle"?

Much like the volume being on 11 in Spinal Tap -- your ego is obviously on 11. Maybe you should change your name to Narcissus instead of Vilma#51.

Pffffttt.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Man, that's a big arm! SWEET!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#22 abyzmul, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  3. GreenMachine

Leinart also had Shoulder and arm sugery...but people fail mention that....

4. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Like they were saying all draft long, its not necessarily how well you play in college

ITS HOW WELL YOU ARE PROJECTED TO PLAY IN THE NFL

look at Ken Dorsey. He won a national championship and was a kick ass QB. Jason White was a heisman trophy winner and took his team to back to back BCS championship games. He couldn't even make a roster.

Bottom Line:

Great College performance doesn't equal NFL greatness

5. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Matt Leinart's going to be a terrific QB for the Cardinals, and will have that team in the playoffs very, very soon. I wish him the absolute best.

6. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Actually Tannenbaum said they tried to trade up to 9. They did NOT say it was for Leinart. NY beat writers assumed that. I think it is more likely it was for Cutler.

7. Bawden

Bawden New Member

I was a big Leinart supporter and would've loved to have him but I look back now and the only thing im upset about is that I wont have as much fun trying to pull a Leinart rookie card because he's not a Jet and generally LT's rookie card don't go for much. But either way I like the direction our team is going. Its looking like a nasty team, that punches you in the mouth in the trenches with its O-line and I like Clemens. Pennington wasn't a top 10 pick and he worked out for us. Supposedly barring Clemens' injury he would'a been ranked higher. I just kinda wish we took Lendale somewhere along the line but then again every year there seems to be atleast 2 or 3 good RBs.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Shanahan had the ammunition to trade down anywhere in this draft. He could have easily made a deal with Detriot to jump ahead of AZ. He didn't because he prefered Cutler to College stat boy Ken Dorsey Light.

Simms and Brady have much better arms than either Penny or Leinart.

9. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

what's been done is done. the jets didn't select leinart. so why bother debate over it days after the draft when we know all you are going to do is start a new thread about it every game that leinart plays as a pro. The fact still remains that Leinart isn't a jet and probably will never be one. Nothing you do will ever change that.

10. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

Buddy, it was a joke...where's the sense of humour on this thread...or maybe it just wasn't that funny...anyway

11. Vilma#51

Vilma#51 New Member

Mark my word...I WILL NOT post "told you so" thread...well maybe just one just for you... Yes, past is the past...but isn't alot of the things that we discuss on this thread (and in life) that way. We do it to try to improve and hopefully learn from the mistakes of the past.

12. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

We don't select the players in the draft though. Just because you believe we made a huge mistake in drafting a tackle instead of Leinart, doesn't make it true 3 days after. The fact remains is that we won't know it was a mistake until a couple of years after when they both actually start playing the game for a while. You make it sound like the only important player in this draft was Leinart, when all he is a good prospect. Well so was d'brick. Until they start actually playing football there really is no point in discussion because neither have done squat in the nfl nor will until september.

13. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

This is the same sort of argument made every year by people who want a QB. But college production, especially national championships aren't THAT much in a QB's control. Does Leinart play defense? Does he run the ball? The reason USC won their games while he was at the helm was because of their running game and their short passing game. Admittedly, he's decently accurate in the short passing game. However, most of the time, the USC model for victory was this. Run the ball and take a 10 point lead. When the defense stacks up against the Bush/White combo, and Leinart throws to superior wide open receivers against defensive backs that are trying to do man coverage.

Not to say that any QB would have succeeded in this offense, but it's true what a lot of personnel people say, we just don't know how good he is because he played with so much great talent. If you want to argue that he's good because his team won so many games, that's not giving any credit to their incredible defense, offensive line and supreme running game. If USC didn't have such a great defense, he definitely does not win 2 national championships. Heck without Bush/White, they don't win 2 national championships.

What I did see on tape is a guy that struggles when the game is close. Against Texas, Bush bailed him out time and again (short passes that he'd take long and pad Leinart's passing rating). He also made a bonehead move on the last play of the game holding onto the ball too long and not giving his team a chance to tie with a field goal. Against Notre Dame, he made one good throw on 4th down that set up the last touchdown (I'd say great, but it was really too close to being knocked down). But honestly, every other throw was not that impressive. Bush again did most of the work (including the QB sneak).

All that said, he does have a decent chance to be a good QB. It's possible he could be like Carson Palmer. But he could also be like Gino Torreta. Or Ryan Leaf. The tricky thing with measuring numbers for a college QB is that of all the positions in college football, the QB numbers are most deceptive. It could be that the player is truly great (see Peyton Manning) or it could be that the player is in a great system (see Danny Woeful). From everything I've read, though, he seems a little too cocky (see Leaf) and I haven't read one thing about him being a film buff (which every great QB in the NFL is). In any case, everybody likes him because he's been associated with a winning program (which is not a bad thing), but a winning program definitely covers a multitude of flaws. I'm not going to say he'll be a bust, but I will say that I would not be surprised if he's looking for work in 3 years.

14. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

get over it. Matt Lienart plays for Arizona. The Jets are a team that is rebuilding.

15. rillo

rillo New Member

exactly.....so sick of all the leinart BS....get over it already. Leinart should do good in AZ...has alot of talent around him....even though the oline is suspect at best......Clemens is hopefully the future.....i'm routing for him

16. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

If we overanalyzed him...so did another 9 teams. Whether they needed a QB or not...of those 9 teams...most do not have a future hall of famer QB...if they did..they wouldnt be drafting in the top 10.

Hey...nothing wrong with this thread..its good discussion...I just look at like this..of the top 3 Qb's selected...1 will be very good...1 will be ok...and 1 will be a bust. Some may say that could be said for any position...not true..when you draft a Qb that high...and it doesnt work out..it sets the team back years...years...because of financial obligations etc. Drafting Qb busts destroys teams.

Will it be Leinart? Who knows. Just that the stats you provided are impressive..yes...but it doesnt include that he had a tremendous offensive line...and 2 incredible running backs. He could be a product of his environment. Just check out the schools in Florida that produced Heisman nominees/winners with great programs and where are those QB's today.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yes I do believe that Matt Leinart was overanalyzed.. Just like Peyton Manning was overanalyzed when he came out.. They had very similar college careers(except Leinart won the big games.) Arizona might have gotten the steal of the draft at 10.. And he is in a pretty good situation too.. I do believe Mr. T has said that Leinart was his top rated Qb..

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

remember though that was in Hankett's verison of the west coast which was primarily throws under 20 yards -- many of whaich were screen or dump off to a FB -- leinart would be amazing that that type of offense but in a vertical pro-style offense it might not be a good fit. Arizona might be the perfect fit have 2 big WR to throw to but they get vertical and getthere fast -- might expose Matt as a great college QB that took advantage of some weak secondaries that had to focus on white and bush all day.

we picked the player that fits our team best.

19. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

:eek:hmy:

filllllllller

20. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

And a second rounder. YeaYea.

:beer: