Latest Jets Transactions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Jun 2, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

That's not the case with him, he was moved to FB because Bowles needed another body there for the backups and 3rd stringers, that's what he said a week ago. It was to help the team right now, not because they want him to make the team. Guys like that are just camp bodies. He's not gonna make it as a linebacker or FB. Doing multiple things not good is not going to help his chances. He'd have a better chance focusing on one thing.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With the motor Reilly has and the camp he's been having, I wouldn't bet against him. If he doesn't make the team, they can kiss him goodbye. Someone else will sign him.

3. NCJetsfan

Did anyone copy the depth chart that was in the Star Ledger following the Green and White game? I did, but forgot to paste it into the forum in this thread. There were some surprises. I will try to reproduce it from memory, but may have a few things wrong.

1st string - Ferguson, Carpenter, Mangold, Colon, Giacomini

2nd string - Ijalana, Dozier, Freeman, Winters, Brewer

3rd string - Wesley Johnson, Aboushi, Dozier, Qvale, Brewer

I think that's right. If so, Aboushi is definitely in trouble. Dozier has passed him on the depth chart at LG, and he isn't even in the mix at RG. If correct and things stay that way, and they keep 9 OL, I think Ferguson, Carpenter, Mangold, Colon, Giacomini, Ijalana, Brewer, Dozier, and Winters make the team, Aboushi, Freeman and Qvale don't. I think they would probably trust that Dozier or Winters could handle the backup center position, and would cut Freeman.

4. DaBallhawk

Agreed, he's getting better and better each day. If he keeps it up he'll probably make it. He should definitely make it over Babin. Cheaper, younger, special teams ace, and probably not much of a dropoff in pass rush.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

this was the article:
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/xx_observations_from_jets_saturday_night_green_and.html

the depth chart you listed is correct, with exception that Harrison was playing 3rd string RG, and Qvale was not listed on any line.
    when i read it the other day, first thing i thought was what happened to Qvale?
    does anyone know if he was hurt?

i listed 10 OL in my first roster prediction, and i'm sticking with that unless i see some guys separate from the pack in preseason.

6. NCJetsfan

Thanks! Yes, I had forgotten about Harrison. I haven't heard anything about Qvale's being hurt. That's especially surprising since he has been getting 1st team reps so often. I think 9 OL is an absolute minimum the Jets will keep, but I would be mildly suprised if they keep 10. I wouldn't be shocked because I think they'd probably lose Harrison if they tried to pass him through waivers. The problem is that they're going to lose some good players no matter what they do. If they keep 10 OL it means one less WR, RB, CB, S, or LB they can keep. 53 is just not enough to keep adequate depth and young talent.

7. DaBallhawk

I still think it's just a rotation thing. Aboushi was with the starters during OTA's. Winters was nowhere to be found, Colon was out, Qvale didn't do anything either. Freeman was invisible. Those guys are now getting their shot. After the first preseason game I think it'll switch up again.

Anyway, Vickerson was taken off PUP. Good player, let's see what he can do.

8. BacktoQueens

i agree they are not done tinkering, and not done evaluating.
    we haven't even played a preseason game yet, which is where Olineman need to make their marks.

but it's more than a rotational thing at this point.
    Aboushi has never worked with the starters to my knowledge. that was Qvale and Winters even in OTA's, with Carpenter on the left side.
    and with Dozier ahead of him even at LG, it's obvious to me he is behind the other guys........at least at this time. it could change yet.

still surprised Qvale wasn't at least getting some reps at third string RT if he's healthy.
    agreed on Vickerson, he has a real shot now.

9. BacktoQueens

you are right, 53 is just not enough.

there are probably a bunch of reasons to support an expanded roster.
    the main ones i keep thinking about though:

1) injuries. you cannot bubble wrap these guys. the NFL is becoming a game of attrition, with the healthiest and/or deepest team having the best chances to both make the playoffs and succeed in them. but how can you be real deep with only 53, unless you are lucky enough to not get more than one injury at a specific position?

2) positions are getting more and more specialized. you can see even in our camp that positions like OLB and TE really have 2 distinct roles within the same position label. how can you have backups in the event of injuries with so many distinct specialized roles?
    add this to point 1 (injuries), and coaches are changing what they do mid season just based on who is healthy or not.

3) developmental players. with the salary cap being what it is, you have to develop players to take on future roles. rookies being thrust into major roles is generally not a good idea. but with a 53 cap, there is only so many veterans you can roster while protecting those developmental players. the practice squad is a good idea, but the fact that no one is protected makes it a very risky move. i'd like to see either a more protected practice squad, or an officially expanded roster.

10. DaBallhawk

"Until he comes out there with a helmet and shoulder pads, I consider him a ways away."-Todd Bowles on RB Stevan Ridley who is on PUP.

themorey likes this.
  11. DaBallhawk

12. DaBallhawk

13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Like many others here I am conflicted as we see and hear that many "fringe" players are making marks at camp and improve their chance of making the roster. It is probably the worst year for the talent the FO will have to cut to get to 53 as there will be a lot ot talented players cut - unlike recent years where no-one signed any of those we released (DW a notable exception with NE prior to SDC)

We are going to lose a good RB, decent WRs and OL depth on Offence while we jettison some decent play makers on D as well. But on the bright side our STs and depth should improve immeasurably

14. TestaverdeWinsGames

If the regular season started tomorrow, here's what I'd expect the team to look like. Not differentiating starters or back-ups, but just guys who will make the team:

QB: Smith, Fitzpatrick, Petty
    RB: Ivory, Powell, Stacy, Bohanon
    OL: Ferguson, Carpenter, Mangold, Colon, Giacomini, Freeman, Dozier, Aboushi, Harrison
    TE: Amaro, Cumberland, Davis
    WR: Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith, Evans, Graham

DL: Wilkerson, Harrison, Williams, Vickerson, Douzable
    LB: Coples, Mauldin, Davis, Harris, Pace, Babin, Lattimore, IK, Reilly
    CB: Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Milliner, McDougle, Williams
    S: Gilchrist, Pryor, Jarrett, Miles, Walls
    st: Folk, Quigley, Purdum

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I like this--here are my notes:

1. Think you are right about RB barring injury
    2. You didn't leave a back-up T; hence, can't see this 9 being the group.
    3. You like Evans and that's as reasonable as any; you must see Graham as the KR
    4. You are going with 7 cb's really and this could be the case; I see 1 more LB in either Mays or Henderson or maybe both with another cut but it is a conundrum on which CB to cut--especially with Dee injured.
    5. Overall very good.

16. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I understand many of your differences. However, I see them keeping Richardson just because Stevan Ridley will not be ready for the season.

1. Until Ridley comes back from PUP, I think they will keep Richardson. This is going to be a ground and pound team with a big running committee. They won't keep a FB because from the sounds of it, they are trying other players at the HB position.

2. Your very right about KR. I believe the PR duties will either go to Kerley or Decker but the PR is already on the team no matter what in my opinion. I would have liked Owusu as KR, but he doesn't have experience. I think once Owusu heals they will try him at KR but it's a longshot. I have a feeling I will be adding T.J. Graham to this roster after preseason game 1, but for now, Graham has had a quiet camp. I feel like perhaps an injury or someone stepping up will clarify the WR corp.

3. Yeah, they really demoted Aboushi but apparently he will get his shot at OT in the preseason.

4. I've actually heard some good things about Simon. I think they will keep him over Vickerson because Vickerson is not healthy and hasn't even practiced yet. They're probably looking for young healthy talent to develop at the position due to all the uncertainties with Sheldon Richardson and Muhammed Wilkerson's contract.

5. I'm not sure if there's a rule or something prohibiting him, but I'm assuming there's not. The staff has said he will be out around 4-5 weeks. This probably puts his first game around Week 2 or Week 3 of the regular season. If he's on the PUP, then the Jets probably only sacrifice him for a game (PUP is 4 games missed minimum is my understanding). They will have to consider if it's worth it to keep him on the active 53, but the Jets have a ton of depth at CB already. Keeping an extra spot open at CB makes sense with all the depth they have.

IDFjet likes this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

11 DBs and only 5 DL is more than a little lopsided.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. TestaverdeWinsGames

Maybe it's lopsided here and there but I believe in keeping the best 53 players. I think Bowles would agree and use his best players to his advantage.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sheldon is suspended and Mo is hurt.

Without those two guys you have three starters and only one backup.

Unless Revis is going to spend some time at NT you may want to think again.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

My Lorenzo Mauldin prediction is happening... slowly but surely.. it's still early.. but i can see it happening. Mauldin will take Pace's starting spot AND have a nice impact on the defense.. his motor is incredibly high and i noticed that when he was in louisville. Pryor has a similar motor we'll see it more now that he's a SS but yeah.. I'm souped for Mauldin i think he's going to be our best OLB that we've had in a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time... kid lives in the back field .. just hope he can get his coverage up in space. Can't wait to see him thursday