Landry/Bell both to start

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, May 19, 2012.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

first.coples will be playing with his hand in the dirt.he will not be transitioning to olb.he will be the starting d.e. and maybe moving inside in some 4-3 packages.secon.maybin hs been working on his weight to be able to contribute in the run game.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You still don't get it do you?

What had a shitty strong safety last year in Smith who couldn't cover a pop-warner TE. We now have a better strong safety in Landry. We had pretty good cover guys in Leonhard and Pool, especially Leonhard. We DOWNGRADED our coverage ability at that position, that's what I'm saying. No safety on our current roster has as good coverage ability as those two. I'm not saying Leonhard and Pool are awesome safeties or that they're good in run support.

Let's assume they're going to put Landry at FS because he's played there before so that's the most likely configuration. That's a downgrade in coverage ability from Leonhard at FS. Now you have Bell at SS who is probably just as awful as Smith in coverage. How have we improved the coverage in our safety group?

Our only hope IMO is that Josh Bush can start in his rookie year and surprise everyone.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Normally I don't hate on fans of other teams, but you really are making yourself look like a complete idiot.

1.) Qiunton Coples will play LDE. He is going to be a stud. He will not reach his full potential his rookie year, but he will still be a well above average player in this league this year.

2.) LaRon Landry is fucking fast, and good in coverage. Plain and simple. He may become injured again, but his pure gifted athletic ability won't just vanish.

3.) The Jets run a D with the best CB tandem in the league, in which they nearly always play man coverage, with a 1st round pick at nickel CB. Who on the Bills is going to make plays? Stevie Johnson can't be targeted every play.

4.) That leaves Fred Jackson. Well, since we weren't as good at stopping the run last year, let's make an effort to sign players who will help us. AKA Quinton Coples, LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Sione Pouha.

Do you understand why you sound stupid yet?

4. patfanken

patfanken Banned

You are making a lot of assumptions here that have no basis in fact.

One of the major Questions about the Jets drafting Coples, besides all the attitude and "motor" issues, is how a player who best fits a 4-3 is going to adapt to a 3-4. Usually 3-4 DE's are 300lbs or over. At 280, Coples might have difficulty setting the edge against OTs that are 40-50lbs bigger and double teams with the TE. Not to say that he can't, but we still have to see if he can.
    WAS "fucking" fast. 2 years of serious Achilles problems have slowed him down some. And the word out of Washington was that coverage WAS a problem, even when he was healthy. BTW- it was no coincidence that Landry's best years came when he was playing with the late great Sean Taylor, and believe me, YBell is NO Sean Taylor.

I can't speak for the Bills, but the Pats somehow managed to put 30+ points and 300+ yds of passing on the "best CB tandem in the league" in BOTH games last season and have improved their WR situation as well for this year.

The Jets DO have 2 great CB;s (actually one great one and the other is merely good) but they can't cover the entire field and the Jets might have improved their Safety position this year, but I'm sorry Bell and Landry in coverage won't scare the Pats any more than Leonard and Poole/Smith did.
    We will have to see if Coples is a plus or minus against the run playing out of position. If run defense was a problem for the Jets last season, Pouha must have been part of the problem, right? Bell and Landry might help the Jets in run support, but remember for all their coverage issues, Leonard and Smith were both very good in run support, so I question how big an upgrade that will be.
    Not to call the kettle black, but do understand why you sound so presumptuous yet? :wink:

#64 patfanken, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

^The run defense was a problem in about 3-4 games. People keep talking shit about this defense like it was in the bottom third of the league. Number fucking 5 ypg.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I agree with most of your assesment of our safety situation, but this part isn't making much sense. Coples played his best football as a DT in the 4-3 which as I'm sure you know translates quite well to 3-4 DE. He was beating tackle/guard or guard/center combo blocks as an interior 4-3 lineman, so I think he'll do just fine against a T/TE combo block. When he was moved to 4-3 DE he didn't have as much success.

BTW - even when he was playing out of position with supposedly a low motor and a bad attitude at 4-3 DE in his senior year he clearly outproduced the guy the Pats traded up to take right after he went off the board.

7. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Whatever I'm not trying to convince noone here. But these safeties will play better then last years hands down

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

These guys get an overpaid Mario Williams and all of a sudden have an opinon *sigh*.

For the last time, we were 5th in the league in overall defense last year. At this point everything is speculation but I think most people (fans or not) would agree that the players that have been put in place will upgrade the D.

Landry - if healthy this guy is one of the best SS in the league
    Bell- we needed depth with the concern of Landry's health and we got it
    Wilson - has showed HUGE strides in development
    Maybin - this guy has off the charts athleticism & we all seen is potential, + some size and watch out
    Wilkerson - a year under his belt and a full off season...
    Coples - sky's the limit if this guy has his head in the game

The only thing that I can see as a negative compared to last year is the linebacker core of Scott, Pace and Thomas being a year older. Maybe this will effect them maybe it wont, I mean they're 31 and 32 after all it's not like they're 35+ or anything.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why, because they're new to the Jets? You were accusing me of sugar coating things. I believe you're the one sugar coating things.

10. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

we might just possibly have one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

12. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

No lol. It just can't get any worse then our 2 safeties last year Cant be but I could be wrong lol

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

anything is an upgrade over Eric Smith.

14. gopats88

gopats88 Member

You keep on repeating that throughout various threads, but it isn't really true. At least it isn't supported by statistics. Jones missed 5 games last year to injury. He also played strongest towards the end of the season (presumably when his injury had fully healed). Here is the direct comparison of "per game" statistics.

Chandler Jones: 4.28 solo tackles/game, 5.43 total tackles/game, 1.07 tfl/game, 0.64 sacks/game, 0.14 interception/game, 0.29 ff/game

Quinton Coples: 2.42 solo tackles/game, 4.58 total tackles/game, 1.25 tfl/game, 0.625 sacks/game, 0 interceptions, 0.25 ff/game

#74 gopats88, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

First of all, where are you getting 8.29 total tackles per game for Jones from? Second of all, staying on the field is part of the job of a football player. If he isn't on the field he isn't useful.

Those .14 INT's and .25 ff/per game are awesome. :up:

I guess it's a fair point, but now you have an injury history too. And let's not forget, Coples was playing out of position and not trying. :grin:

16. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

I actually agree with you. This is shaping up to be a good off-season.

17. gopats88

gopats88 Member

ooops 8.29 should be 5.43, I'll edit my last post.

In any case, none of the stuff that you said justifies your earlier statement:

"even when he was playing out of position with supposedly a low motor and a bad attitude at 4-3 DE in his senior year he clearly outproduced the guy the Pats traded up to take right after he went off the board"

At best it is arguable who was more productive. It certainly is not "clear". Jones played two full seasons in 2009 and 2010. Saying that he has an "injury history" along with his other question marks is just a cheap way of defending your lazy comparison.

18. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

“To all the non-believers, to all the non-believers, specially you Tom Jackson! Way to have our back Keyshawn. Anybody can be beat. Felt great. Poetic justice. We know we are a much better team then we came up and represented ourselves. And we’re, we’re pissed off. We’z ready to come back to show what type of defense, what type of team this was, what kinda character we had. We take a lot of slack. People gave us no chance like we barely made the playoffs. We’re a good football team. For all you non-believers. Disrespect us. Talk crap about the defense, like we’re the 3rd best defense in the league. All we hear is about their defense. They can’t stop a nosebleed, 25th in the league. And we the one who get disrespected. Can’t wait!”

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And I did give you credit for making a fair point. Your point is more about efficiency than production, but it's a fair point none the less.

20. I love it. Patriot fans here defending their team & trying to knock our's down a peg. Somebody's alittle worried,aren't they?