Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry. I know how much you wanted Cousins, but I really do think his signing with Minny is what ultimately will be best for the Jets. It will take longer to get to where we want to be, but we should stay there longer.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

1. The bolded is hilarious to me because that is my last name, minus the G. What does that say about me? Basically, I'm always right.

2. I agree Teddy would fit the culture and he'd provide nice competition for a rookie... but do we actually want that? The only way that pays off for us is if he's fantastic and it's clear we should make him our guy going forward. Even then, are you willing to do that after one good year? At least with McCown we know that we have the actual franchise QB in waiting halfway through the season. Or at least the guy we want to be the franchise QB.

3. Do compensatory picks work for guys that are on one year deals? I'm asking because I honestly have no idea... and I know, that negates point #1 of my post.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Well, back to scratching off lotto tickets for the qb answer.
    Yay

TonyFtLaud and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

fitting he would be your role model lol ... but as I said Lamar / Rosen always been my top targets. Still would've liked Cousins.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

looks like cousins is gone. 3 years 84mil fully guaranteed with the vikes
    also trey burton to the bears 4 years 32mil

7. playtowinthegame

I just thought the gif was fitting...it's funny is all. No need to be butt hurt. Lol

8. 101GangGreen101

hahah I'm really not, Jets had a shot ... they could've had him but its time to address the attention to Teddy and the draft.

9. playtowinthegame

Mac is playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess.

10. 101GangGreen101

I can't wait to see fans blame Bowles for not getting Cousins. Mac is so reactive. We'll probably end up with Mason Rudolph and no one on this forum will be happy.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

WOW! I'm shocked for two reasons. One, I can't believe that he actually had a good thought; and two, I can't believe he isn't trashing the Jets.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

What may pose a "headache" - which I guess would be a good one to have - is Teddy is very successful, but we still have a guy like Rosen/Mayfield on the bench. Then what happens to them?

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

same way every team does it. if the rookie is showing promise, trade teddy, get a pick start the rookie. If not, trade the rookie. there is always a market for QBs. pack did it with favre/rodgers. pats with brady/garappolo, falcons with vick/schaub, chiefs with smith/mahomes, chargers with rivers/brees. it's a pretty common thing

14. NCJetsfan

Paesan,

Funny post!

I think the only ways that Teddy wouldn't pay off for us are as follows:
    1. He isn't the same player before his injury or immediately gets seriously injured again;
    2. He doesn't play well;
    3. Mac and Bowles forget about trying to draft a QB (or maybe never planned to draft one anyway) and decide to just roll the dice with Teddy.

I think we need a good bridge to the rookie (if we draft one), someone who will help that rookie develop, and will push him, so yes, I think we want that. If I'm not mistaken, Mac has said since day one that he wanted to build sustainable success. Cousins wouldn't have brought that. He would have at best brought 5-6 years of good times, but since he only wanted a 3 year deal, it would have been only 3 years, the rebuild would have been scrapped and the Jets would have gone all in on winning it all in that 3-year window.

As for making him the FQB after one year, I don't know. IMO it would depend on how well he played and where the rookie was in his development. Supposedly, Teddy is only looking for a 1-2 year "prove it" deal, so he can then cash in. So, even at worse, if true, Teddy would only be here two years and would then walk in FA. If the deal was a 2-year deal and the competition was extremely close in TC, but Bowles opted to stick with Teddy for the entire season, and he played really well, the Jets could either decide to keep him and the rookie as a backup for the duration of his contract, or could look to move Teddy for quite possibly a #2 pick at a minimum and maybe a #1 pick (or more) if Teddy played really well. They could then anoint the rookie as their starter in 2019. If the rookie winds up being a bust and Teddy is even just a solid game-managing QB, the Jets could sign him long term and would have the best QB they've had since Chad.

As for compensatory picks, I don't know for certain, but I've never heard anything in regard to the length of the contract being a consideration. It was just if you had a player under contract, his contract expired and he walked in FA, then you possibly get a compensatory pick (dependent of course upon if you signed any FAs).

#3234 NCJetsfan, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  15. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you think he's capable of playing checkers

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Smart kids..:p

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Whew, that was close.

I was never opposed to Cousins but it wasn’t my preference. I’d absolutely sign Teddy Bridgewater and stay put at 6. Hell, I’d be tempted to trade back and draft Lamar Jackson if any other draft QB we want can’t be obtained.

All Gas No Shake, Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

So Barkley will fall to the Jets at 6?

JetBlue likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

With everybody's permission, I am moving this to NFL Forum. Can I change the thread's title to Chicken Kirk?

Br4d likes this.