Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I stand by my belief that Cousins will choose to sign with Minnesota because they are a Super Bowl contender while we aren't. While I still think that drafting a QB is the way to go, I won't throw a fit if the Jets got Cousins.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That's like when Mike Francessa used to say, "I'm going out on a limb and saying there's a 50/50 chance it might happen"

Everyone will know where he's going when he signs on the dotted line.

FlaJet likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The bigger question should be...who the F is Tony Pauline? #ScrubReporter

FlaJet likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Profootballtalk is making it seem like everyone else is offering Cousins much less money than the Jets are offering.

So the phony is still keeping all his options open.

I can't say I blame him I'd go where the most money is too.

Minnesota, Denver have too much talent to pay this guy what he wants and still keep those rosters intact for long.

The Jets are pretty much starting from scratch.

He's coming here I think. :(

FlaJet likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That is
    Awesome. Damned good cut at it. Thank you for sharing it again. I missed it. I still would take Prescott and Geoff ahead of him, but for a top say 10-15 QB is it really worth it for us? My good Lord, if he is worth over 30M then Aaoron is worth over 45M?
    I just don't see him as the guy that can take a young team on his shoulders. I rather roll the dice and find one thru the draft while we continue to develop the rest of the team.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You don’t sign Bridgewater to a one year deal; it’s always going to be a multi-year deal that is favorable to the Jets to move on from if he isn’t good. But you don’t risk him being great and only being signed to one year.

TonyFtLaud, FlaJet and FJF like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I agree on that, i was just making a point how much it can set back the franchise if we miss the shot

8. GasedAndConfused

You can sign teddy B and still draft a QB at 6 though, which was my main point, signing teddy b doens't change anything and is low risk

The Dark Knight and boozer32 like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

@NYJetsO12 see what i mean lol

Anyway I've posted this several times over in this thread, but i get it's a big thread so here it is.

I posted earlier in this thread

IDK about all that. cousins is singing a LTD likely 5-6 years. in NFL years that's a lifetime.

lets look at the "win now"

both the jets and broncos won 5 games in 2017 while none suffered major injuries. both did it with not so good QBs
    Both defenses allowed the same points per game (23.9) despite the jets defense having an extra 100 plays run on it.
    Denver will also lose talib if they sign cousins which is a big blow to their secondary.
    on offense they have thomas and sanders at WR. not much depth behind them and no good TE. sure both are capable 1000 yard WRs but so are enunwa and anderson. plus we have kearse and likely ASJ as well. at the RB position anderson is just decent. i'd take powell and maguire over anderson and booker any day. I'd say the jets have more weapons on offense then denver overall. they do have a better o-line though but we can fix that if we land cousins. If denver lands cousins they can't do much to improve. we can still sign o-line and a WR for him. a landry or robinson maybe. and have an extra 2nd round pick

now for the future
    sanders and thomas will be 31/30 at the start of the season. the age where WRs decline. not much left in the tank. for us enunwa, anderson and kearse are all young. enunwa and anderson could both be here the next 5+ years with cousins. that creates chemisry and consistency. We are one of the youngest teams in the NFL. denver is not. a lot of their players are on the wrong side of 30

So one could easily argue that not only are we a better "win now" option then denver, we are also a better option for the length of the contract

now as far as arizona goes i'll make it easy, they have less money then and aren't as good as minn so makes no sense to cousins to go to a place that can't pay him nor are they better then the vikes. Money wise the jets and browns have the most to offer, denver can pony up some cash too but as i said jets are better then both of those. if he wants to win now bets bet is less money in Minnesota. If he wants money out of the 3 options the best is the jets. The cards can't offer either. He doens't seem like he wants to play of Cleveland. Denver still has an outside chance. so i see his landing spots as jets/vikes with denver having an outside shot. I can't see any other team having a legit shot at signing him

FlaJet and boozer32 like this.
  10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

why not? you can always franchise him next off-season while working out a long-term deal

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

Ijilana, Skrine, Winters, David Harris, and Forte (cost us a comp pick) were/are all overpaid ... Mac contract negotiating leaves much to be desired

Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Hell no. It’s cheaper to sign him to a multi-year deal than franchise him. And it isn’t about a long term deal, per se.

If he does really well, but we have Mayfield sitting in the wing, you can trade Bridgewater and ascend Mayfield. You can’t do that if you only have him for one year or franchise him.

Bridgewater still has potential; you don’t sign potential to a one year deal. You sign him to a multi-year deal that is favorable to cut him if he underperforms, or you make him the backup when you start your drafted 1st round QB. Nothing about a one year deal makes any practical sense.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There's a difference between overpaid and bad contract. A bad contract hampers the team. None of those guys did that.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I would not consider the Jets a good team..so he is now considering going to a potentially bad team (Vikes) or a considerably bad team (jets) ??

Cousins will visit us next week for a donut and a cup of coffee while Mac frantically drives his price up for the Vikings

16. GasedAndConfused

good thing you aren't kirk cousins then. I can't really do anything to change your mind, you can feel how you want, but you aren't in the NFL and you don't know how the players feel about each franchise. You also dont' know who their friends are, who are talking to them, how much they like staff (FYI cousins loves bates and will be in a similar offense here he ran in wash that's a huge selling point over learning a new system) You have to think of it how you would look for a job because that's what it is to them. Lets say you think apple is a shitty company, but you have some friends that work at apple and they are like it's fun to work here just check it out and you go for an interview and get a butt load of money, you also find out your boss is an old friend and the job you are doing is exactly the same as what you've been doing but you are going to get paid a ton more money, at that point you probably wouldn't care.

If the NFL was the way people made it sound on forums. 50% of teams wouldn't exist at all since everyone would refuse to play for them

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

okay ... you asked for evidence that mac overpays players and i obliged

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Cousins wants to sign for 3 years now. So that alone should make the Jets pass on him. Anderson will be going to jail and is a moron. No one knows how Enunwa will recover from a neck injury. So we really only have Kearse as a primary. Another huge reason for Cousins to bypass the Jets. The Jets are just devoid of any talent and it will take too long to get to where the Vikings are already. The snail pace of Maccagnan GM skill will never get us there anyway.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hope he doesn't come here. Go back to Washington. The Jets have nothing to surround him with. By next year if he did come here he'll be on his 3rd offensive system. Too much instability with the Jets. Coming here to pad his pockets is not a selling point.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Translation: I still have a week to fill before any real news and need to keep this juicy gossip mill going to make quota