Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

there is a few weak minded posters of this ilk

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

nah i ain't arguing with you, I am agreeing with you, just adding to your point that's all. It's the same old story really with certain fans, they want the most talented QB in the league, they want dem Madden stats ... IDK about them, but I'm all about winning and Cousins is a solid QB that can make plays late in games. That Seattle game, I was sold. I still like the draft prospects QBs, and it will be a little bittersweet not to grab one, but hey it's all about winning.

LAJet and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

relevant

kiper picks allen 1 overall due to "higher ceiling" and kiper is one of the "draft gurus" so ryan leaf pointed out how kiper mocked him over peyton manning becuase kiper said leaf has a higher ceiling

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/ryan-leaf-response-mel-kiper-mock-draft/422550

we all know how that higher ceiling worked out with leaf and manning

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And like an idiot, I keep responding attempting to get them to respond with an actual answer. Oh well, at least everyone else can see what’s going on and laugh along with each other.

5. GasedAndConfused

:)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-directs-biggest-comeback-in-redskins-history

Cousins directed the largest come-from-behind win in Redskins history behind a 33-completion, 317-yard, three-touchdown performance. The 33 completions tied a franchise record held by Jason Campbell and set in 2007. Cousins' third touchdown pass went to Jordan Reed with 24 seconds remaining to complete the dramatic comeback. The Redskins had trailed by 24 points in the second quarter. The team's previous biggest comebacks came from 21 points, which the Redskins pulled off three times.

Do people realize how hard it is to QB a game when your down 24 points in the 2nd quarter and also how bad a defense has to be to allow 24 points in such a short time?

in the 2017 season the skins won 7 games. more then half of them (4) were game winning drives led by cousins and 1 was a 4th quarter comeback against a tough seattle defense. but you know according to people here, he can't win a game

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, he's not a FQB - yet. He might become one, but if he were the Redskins would be keeping him, they wouldn't have screwed around with him to the point he decided he wasn't loved enough.

And let me do some math to try and figure out your assertion that "by your standards there are only 2 or 3 FQBs in the NFL" From your own posts on this thread you've established that Cousins is a "top 10-12 QB". If we then say that he isn't a FQB yet, that leaves 10 or 11 guys better than him who might well be considered FQBs. Now let's say that not all of them actually are, but certainly MOST of them are, leaving that number far in excess of "2 or 3". So my standards aren't really impossibly high by my reckoning, it's just that Cousins hasn't reached them yet.

Further, if "even professional scouts guess wrong" then my guesses might actually even be better than their's sometimes. Of course they have much more experience and information than me, and so we can expect them to guess better, but they sure do miss a lot despite all that knowledge and experience. And oddly, sometimes ignorant fans like me are actually right, and not just in rare cases, but a fair amount of times, especially when you factor in the disadvantage we have. You want to dismiss my POV, go ahead, that's your choice. But keep in mind your POV is no more valid.

As to things outside Bowles's control, there are many things that fall into that category, but the development - i.e. coaching - isn't one of them. He's the HEAD Coach, and the buck stops with him whether he - or you - like it or not. Of course the players have a responsibility to improve themselves, but the team - and its coaches - not only have a responsibility, but a vested interest in doing that too. If they can't, or won't, they're not qualified to keep the job.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

I'm missing the point you're trying to make here.

8. GasedAndConfused

i never said he was below top 10. i said at worst he's top 10. someone posted the numbers and he's top 8 in every important category over the past 3 years in the NFL and top 5 in most of them. I think he's a borderline top 5 QB and when we see brees and brady retire in the next year or 2 he'll be top 5 easily. I'm not going to ding him for not being as good as 2 guaranteed HOF Qbs with many records broken over the past decade.

i'm not dismissing your POV i'm dismissing your ability to acknowledge any other POV other then your own as plausible. drafting a guy with a "high ceiling" historically shows they have as good of a chance to be a bust then a decent QB. that's factual over many years of NFL history. "high ceiling" is nothing more then a label they give to someone with a lot of talent but hasn't put the talent to use in actual game situations. it's a back-handed compliment really. like yeah he's got potential to do something, but hasn't reached it yet. many don't as in the case of leaf.

and no bowles has no control over player development. position coaches have direct control over that and to a lesser degree the GM since he hires the positional coaches. a head coach is simply put a manager. some take on dual roles of play calling and managing but none have a say in player personnel , coaching staff (although the GM usually lets the coach pick some staff positions) , and bowles is a "defense" coach so to blame him for QB development is just completely false. it's like blaming a cook at a restaurant for the waiter not doing his job.

9. GasedAndConfused

my point was "higher ceiling" is meaningless. you don't pick a higher ceiling guy (leaf) over a guarenteed guy

let me put it this way, if the NFL had 0 cap limits and was more like the MLB, would anyone be against getting cousins right now?

10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Retagging this if Cousins spurns desperate Mac's offer and signs elsewere.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That's my point. It is unknown yet I keep reading post that Bowle's never plays rookies, and wouldn't play a rookie. You even said he would have benched Brady (who Brady who went 11–3 record as a starter, and earned a first round bye ) for Bledsoe who was 0-2 when he returned... o_O
    As I have said, there's so much we can knock Bowles for, there's no reason to embellish his faults.:(

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

dont bother me lol, I like some of the rookie qbs too

playtowinthegame likes this.
  13. playtowinthegame

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. playtowinthegame

Just having fun. :D

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Just a thought and something else to fight about.
    If Washington were to actually Tag Cousins as has been rumored and posted here, Cousins could hold off signing the tag, voiding the Alex Smith trade. (Cousin's 34.5 million would be immediately applied to the cap)leaving Washington short the cap space to complete the Smith deal.
    KC would move on making Alex Smith available for a second round pick.
    Would you be on board with signing Smith to the same deal he was offered by Washington?
    Cousin's could file his appeal as soon as Smith was traded, likely leaving Washington with no QB.

16. TonyFtLaud

Looks just like the official NY Jets draft watch party.

17. ColoradoContrails

Sorry if I confused your estimation of his ranking with someone else, but it's still relevant in qualifying that if I think he's a 10-12 QB, he's not yet a FQB. You disagree, but a lot of posters here have said he's a 10-15 QB, so I don't think my estimation is that low.

I certainly don't see how you can say I don't acknowledge any other POV than my own if you've read my posts (and I know you have). While I will argue and defend my POV to the fullest, I also admit when I'm wrong, or at least that the other persons's argument has merit.

Your "Cook and Waiter" analogy is wrong. A HC has the ability to hire and fire his CS, unlike a cook (unless he's the owner) whose job is to cook and manage the cooks under him. He doesn't hire the wait staff, although if he got wind that they weren't doing a good job he'd probably have input over their continued employment. If players aren't improving, Bowles needs to look at the reason and if it's poor coaching by the position coaches or game plans or plays called, then it's up to him to make sure that gets fixed or the coaches responsible are replaced. If tha'ts not how the Jets are set up then that's a big reason why they're so screwed up.

18. GasedAndConfused

he also benched fitz in week 7 of the 2016 season for geno who was terrible and then blew out his knee

on top of that lee, adams, and maye started every game as rookies. williams had significant playing time as a rookie as well but we also had rich and wilk. he played stuart and hansen over kerly after the suspension. anderson seen significant playing time as an UDFA rookie in 2016 and due to injuries even started a few games. then in 2017 he was a day 1 starter.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm not on board for trading for any qb

20. GasedAndConfused

like i said to you before you are entitled to your opinion but all the experts, analysts, and stats say otherwise.

as far as head coaches go, they don't directly hire anyone but as i said before many GMs let the head coach pick their staff. still it ultimtely falls on the GM. a head coach is responsible for using the pieces he's given in the best way, making gameplans, having the team ready to play, and managing the game. and in some cases calling plays on one side of the ball. they don't draft players, sign players, develop players etc. they put players in the best position for them to be usefull