Keller Believes He's a Probowler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 12, 2012.

1. patfanken

patfanken Banned

All fair points. There are advantages and disadvantages.

BTW- just for the record. According to the NFL.com site, the Pats ran the ball just 8 times less than the Jets last season and averaged only 4 more passes per game.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's impossible for him to make it, but he'd have to have a pretty incredible season to get in there based on the competition that is already out there for those TE spots in the pro bowl.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Fuck the Pro-Bowl, learn how to block.

4. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

lol

he is total trash, i cant wait till we replace him next year with a real TE

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me with this list? I will give you

Gronk
    Daniels
    Lewis
    and maybe Miller (washed up)
    Gates cant stay on the field, Hernandez is a big WR, Greshem could be better but currently is not, Chandler and Moeaki both had ONE good year. Keller is the 4th best TE in this AFC.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

seriously.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I didn't make that list, but I'll argue some of the points that you just made.

I don't know how you can call Hernandez a big WR, and then act like Keller is a complete TE. However Rex and company decide to use Keller is irrelevant. The fact is, he can't block effectively, and he is really only a factor in the passing game.

Really anyone's rankings are going to come down to what they value in a TE; it isn't a position like LT or RB where you can hope to draw a line in the sand between the "effective" players and the "ineffective". Every position has different skills that are utilized, but TE could almost be separated into two completely different positions. It depends on whether you want a weapon in the passing game, a good blocker, or someone who can do both.

I also don't agree with Heath Miller being "washed up". At 29, he is still a good player, he just has a completely different skillset than Keller. Incidentally, I think he would actually be a better fit for the Jets.

You are also walking a thin line when you exclude Gates because of injury. Despite missing 3 games in 2011, and being injured for many others, you could make an argument that he was still able to outproduce Keller (something like 50 less yards, but 2 more TDs). Despite missing 6 games in 2010, Gates clearly did outproduce Keller that year.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Let's put it this way. If Keller makes the probowl that means the Jets are doing some things very right, which probably means their offense would be above average at worst. Keller is more of a receiver, so yeah, I could see him making it based on that. An above average offense on the Jets, means guaranteed playoffs based on how good our defense is. I think it's more likely that Holmes makes it because he's back to hungry mode this year and will be trying to make a statement, but both of them, as well as Hill / Schillens will factor in.

9. South J-E-T

South J-E-T Member

I agree - Keller needs to be a much larger piece of the offense. He is a solid receiver who is under utilized.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Obviously, Schottenheimer didn't study history much; Keller is the prototypical roving Y type TE that could thrive in Coryell offense system. (That's how Kellen Winslow became HoF TE - not by his blocking.)

If Sparano knows anything about TEs and roving Y, Keller will see increased production too.

11. turbodog

turbodog Member

Keller is always hot at the start of the season. But completely disappears after the first 3 or so games.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wow never thought about that, how the fuck did Schotty miss out on something like this? Especially since his offense was an Coryell / WC offense - aka a bunch of shit that didn't mix together

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

All the talk about no receivers ... thats pretty much what keller is ...

14. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I think he's the most overrated player on our team.

15. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Maybe a Jets fan can speak on this, but it is my limited opinion that Keller's not producing has more to do with him not having the opportunity than his skill set not being capable of it.

I like his receiving skills. I think if he was given the opportunity to be a focal point of the passing game and moved around to create mismatches (maybe he will this year?) then I think he could do some damage in this league. Maybe he already has been given that opportunity and failed at it, I'm not sure. But I think he definitely has the skills.