Keller Believes He's a Probowler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Keller is a good receiver; but he's not a great all-around tight end, and there are at least four or five better tight ends in the AFC alone.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'd say,based on a "qb quality to t.e. production ratio" vernon davis would get my vote.consiering who throws him the ball vs gates,gronk and graham he is doing more with less so to speak

3. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Guys who I'd take over Keller in the AFC:

Rob Gronkowski
    Aaron Hernandez
    Antonio Gates
    Tony Moeaki (assuming he returns to form)
    Owen Daniels
    Mercedes Lewis
    Heath Miller
    Jermaine Gresham
    Scott Chandler

I will say that I'm biased toward bigger TE's that can also block. Personally, I love Scott Chandler as a TE. He is a great blocker who is utilized in the passing game mostly on 3rd downs and in the red zone. He is a complimentary piece, not a focal point. But he's just so clutch for the Bills. Once we get inside the 20, he becomes a big piece of the offense, and the rest of the time he does the dirty work.

I'm not really a fan of the smaller, receiving TE's like Keller. As such, I dont really care for guys like Hernandez and Daniels but there is no doubt those guys are both better than Keller.

I like Keller, I just think he's rating himself a little too high. Even if he puts up stats, he'll never block and be an every down TE.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Agree with most of what you said, but remember Pro Bowl quality doesn't necessarily mean you need to be able to block. If you score a lot and make one or two highlight plays, you probably will get the Pro Bowl nod. If ESPN decides to hype you up, even more likely.

Basically I'm saying Pro Bowl quality doesn't necessarily mean the best at your position.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Blocking doesn't matter if you are going to the probowl as a TE. People only care about receiving numbers. He could get it. I don't think he will but its possible. He always seems to get more TDs early in the season and then fade. Needs to be more consistent.

6. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I agree that Davis has been a great TE, with very impressive production considering the QBs he has had to work with. Probably the best in the league when grading based on that ratio. I still think that you can say that Gronk and Graham are both better players though, even though it is difficult to make an objective comparison due to the obvious advantages they have had.

Davis is definitely one of the more underrated players though. Up until he had two ridiculous games in the playoffs last year, it seemed like people only wanted to talk about the younger, flashier TEs.

7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

He also seems to have an abnormal amount of passes bounce off his facemask.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this is what is great about sports.we can debate this forever and know one will be right or wrong.you just wonder what it would look like if davis had a h.o.f. qb throwing to him.

i would definitely put davis above graham since graham plays with wr's that take the top off defenses

9. Bills over Jets

Yeah, that's very true. Keller has the ability to put up the stats necessary for the pro bowl, and I guess that's all that really matters.

10. gopats88

gopats88 Member

No. Reputation matters quite a bit. With Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Gates in the conference, that by itself is a very large obstacle for Keller to overcome. Even Gresham has a bit of an advantage, seeing as he will get more hype as a younger "up-and-coming" player, and was already selected as an alternate last year.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Hernandez is good but having Gronkowski and Brady throwing him the ball in that 2 TE scheme is the reason he puts up his numbers. Id rather have Keller than hernandez. He was a bit of a pro bowl snub last year though.

12. Bills over Jets

Reputation does matter quite a bit, and although Keller doesn't have one at the moment, if he has a good statistical season I have no doubt that the NY media will create one for him.

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I actually believe that Gronkowski and Welker are the biggest reasons that Hernandez's numbers aren't much higher. If Welker leaves after this season, I think Hernandez will put up reception and yardage totals that will lead all TEs. Keller's numbers are hurt a bit because of the QB and Jet's offense, but he also benefits from being the closest thing to a possession receiver on the Jets' roster, which is far from the case with Hernandez.

I expect some disagreement here, but I honestly think that Keller is in a better position to put up stats, just because of all of the competition Hernandez has for targets. According to this tool here (http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/), Keller actually was targeted 6 more times than Aaron, yet caught 14 fewer balls for 100 less yards. Some of that can be attributed to better defensive matchups and on target throws, but I think it goes beyond that.

I've already posted my Hernandez/Keller skill comparison, but to repeat myself I really don't see any way in which Keller is better (except maybe blocking, at which they are both pretty bad). Hernandez has better hands, gets better separation from defenders, is better after the catch, and has shown more versatility (admittedly that last one might be a result of the Patriots system). I understand that the "Brady & Pats offense vs. Sanchez and Jets offense" factor complicates things, but I feel like the difference in their ability is noticeable just by watching them on the field. It isn't a tremendous difference, but I feel like it is fairly clear.

14. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Graham over GronK?????!!!!!! Based on what? Gronk had more yds, TD's and Graham makes Keller look good as a blocker, while Gronk might be the best blocking TE in the league. Plus Graham gets to play in Domes a minimum on 9 times a year. So think about it again, kid and on what planet is Jimmie Graham a better all round TE than the Gronk

And as far Keller being an all pro, here is his main competition in the AFC

Gronk
    Hernandez
    Gresham
    Gates
    Moeaki
    Daniels
    Dickson
    Miller
    Cook

And remember most of them don't have Keller's advantage being their QB's first or 2nd option, and all of the above, with the possible exception of Graham, are better blockers Keller. Hell Stephan Hill is probably a better blocker than Keller.

15. allan1

allan1 Active Member

gtfo jills troll

who the fuck is scott chandler? How many 50+ catch seasons does he have? How many playoff TD's does he have.

mercedes lewis caught 39 passes last year. Heath Miller peaked in 09 but is on the decline and has been overrated his entire career because he plays for the steelers and there's dumbass fans yell heeeeeeeeeeeaaath.

#55 allan1, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  16. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Keller SHOULD be putting up stats. Hell he's his QB's first or 2nd option on almost every play. Meanwhile most of the rest of the TE's in the conference are usually the 3rd or 4th

17. allan1

allan1 Active Member

most of those TE's have a professional QB throwing catchable balls. We have Sanchez.

Most of those TE's play in a pass first system, we've been run first since Rex got here.

Put Keller in New Orleans and he easily catches 80+ balls a season. Heck he somehow managed 65 catches in this disgraceful offense last year

18. allan1

allan1 Active Member

not when Braylon Edwards and Tomlinson were here he wasn't, as well as another safety blanket in Cotchery. Keller was a 3rd, 4th option just like the other guys.

19. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Which is why his numbers were lower those seasons...

I don't necessarily agree with that entire list, but the idea that throwing a guy on a team like NO or NE will automatically double their stats just isn't true. Keller's best year so far, statistically, was the one where the Jets other receiving options were most scarce. NO and NE both have 3-4 other solid weapons that are all going to get their share of looks, which can leave any mediocre player feeling left out.

20. Professor Frink

I disagree, I think it's harder for Keller to put up stats.

Imagine you're a DC coming up with a game-plan to stop the Patriots' offense. You would use very different personell packages, and different coverage and pressure schemes then what you would use against the Jets. Keller has to fight off jams more often, and because of the talent around him, it's harder to get the kind of favorable matchups Hernandez sees on on a regular basis. Keller also has to deal with a larger percentage of failed pass plays because of things out of his control, like the O line giving up pressure, or Sanchez making a bad throw or decision.

Keller isn't a traditional in-line TE, and never will be, I don't understand why the Jets' coaching staff insists on using him that way (probably because they don't have anyone else that can do it.) If he went to a team that had a more spread out attack (like the Saints or Packers) or a team that already had a traditional TE (like the Cowboys or 49ers) he would be much more effective.