Kellen going to push Chad in Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mavericknyc1980, Jan 28, 2007.

1. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Are you going to Compare Manning Five years ago to the one that won the Superbowl today as well as Lt three years ago when we beat them. The Charger, Steeler, Bengal and Chiefs teams we have to compete with next year will destroy the Jets.

2. FOURTHANDLONG

To be Honest Grossman remided me of Chad when we lost to The Patriots this year and the Raiders a few years back. When the Jets get behind and they know Chad has to throw it's game over. When Grossman threw that interception that broke their back it was the same situation as Chad throwing the one to Samuels this year that broke our backs. They lay back and wait to pick his passes off because he is not effective in those situations.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

Did I miss something or did the Steelers win the Superbowl last year????

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yes and yes.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a difference though between being a good game manager when things are working well, as Chad is, and being a bad game manager all the time as Grossman is.

I think the Jets need to upgrade significantly at QB, or in many other places on the team, to get where the Bears were this year. That said, I think Chad probably could have won a Super Bowl with the Bears talent around him this year.

6. FOURTHANDLONG

If you ask me it is a wash between Chad and Grossman because two or three times a year Grossman gets it right and throws for 350 yards on real balls throw downfield. If Chad can know when to throw but can't make the throws it really does not matter because at the end of the day we loose anyway.

7. Br4d

I have to disagree here. There's a difference between being a good QB who is incapable of playing at the highest levels, as Chad is, and being a mediocre QB who flashes occasionally but is consistently terrible otherwise.

The first interception that Grossman threw in the second half made me laugh out loud. It was like watching a kid in the punt-pass competition throw the ball up. Go look at the video, the look on his face was like that kid too.

I like Lovie Smith a lot, but he screwed up bigtime leaving Grossman out there as QB on this team when he had a journeyman backup in Brian Griese ready to go. Griese should have been made the Bears QB halfway through the season. Bears probably win the Super Bowl, a la Dilfer and the Ravens, if Smith makes that move.

8. FOURTHANDLONG

I guarantee you the bears will take a Qb early in the draft. The question is when does Mangini decide to pull the plug on Chad.

9. Br4d

When somebody comes in and takes the job or when Chad gets hurt again. Basically I see Chad as the caretaker of the Jet's QB job and nothing short of an AFC championship game with him performing well against that level of competition is going to make me think of him otherwise.

10. Italian Seafood

So if we miss another kick to win in the Divisional round, that will affect your opinion of the QB?

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If you look at the game for what it was we basically faced what the Colts did on SB sunday a young QB completely self destructing, our D stepping up and unlike the Colts who had a QB who could take advantage and blow them out, Chad did nothing and it was left to the kicker to make a tough FG on a cold winter night. Now Chad did have a bum shoulder but if he does anything that night the game is won by at least 10 points.

12. Italian Seafood

We were also playing on the road, not a neutral field, against a 15-1 team. Not to say Chad had a great game, but he twice put it in the hands and feet of his coach/kicker. If everyone wants to pat Brady on the back because Vinnatieri made all his big kicks in NE, let's at least recognize the fact that Chad got us into the same situation twice to win that game.

My point here is that it's a team game. To evaluate an individual on a team goal, like Super Bowl or AFC championship game, is out of balance. Everyone needs to come through when called upon. To put it all on the QB when someone else fucks up is inaccurate, so that's my question. Say Chad gets us back to that spot, making him 4 for 4 in getting us to the playoffs. However he plays, it comes down to a kick and Nugent misses. That's going to affect how we evaluate the QB?

13. FOURTHANDLONG

What about the coach not wanting to get the kicker five or ten more yards because he was scared to let Pennington throw the ball. Everybody knew the Jets were going to run and the Steelers stacked the line and stopped Martin. If chad could get five or ten yards more maybe kick would have been made.

14. Italian Seafood

The coach told you personally he was afraid to throw the ball because of the QB? Where do you get this information? Did it ever occur to you that running the ball enables you to gain a few yards and work the clock to your advantage? Since you're obviously on the inside with the scoop, did the coach also explain why he chose to take a knee and lose yardage when he had the NFL rushing title winner lined up in the backfield? We've had this conversation before, you still want to blame the failure of the coach and the kicker on the QB. As long as you take that approach you're never going to get it.

15. Br4d

Probably the biggest point in the loss to the Steelers was ZERO second half points out of the offense. The Jets scored ZERO offensive TD's in that game while the "screwing it up" rookie QB for the Steelers lead two TD drives.

If Chad had been able to play on that stage that day the Jets would have routed the Steelers.

Take a look at the playoff loss in 2002 to the Raiders. Same story.

Now take a look at the game this year against the Pats and subtract Jerrico Cotchery's 70 yard run and what do you have? Nothing.

Chad just cannot play with the big boys. He doesn't have the arm.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The reason the Colts were able to run the ball down the throats of both the Ravens and the Bears is both safties in both games were 15 to 20 yards behind the LOS. Fear of Mannings arm played a huge role in their ability to run the football.

17. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I don't think the steelers went to the playoffs this year or are we living in 2005?

18. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

19. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Great point and very accurate! He beat 1 team with a winning record and that was quickly avenged! Two other teams with goo d defenses SHUT us out! The guy threw 16 INTS and 17 TDs. IMO that is mediocre! He was the game managewr when we beat a few TOMATOE cans and some guys here think he is a top QB. I just do not see it! I hope he proves me wrong and wins a SB this year! I just have no faith in him at this point!

20. Italian Seafood

The game came down to a kick and the kicker missed. Brady is revered as a great winner because Vinnatieri made two FGs in the snow and two more to win Super Bowls. Those are the facts. You can break any game down to "this guy should have done that earlier", it doesn't work that way. A kicker makes the FG or he doesn't, and we're judging QB on that. You don't see the flaws in that?