Kellen going to push Chad in Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mavericknyc1980, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

It takes more then intelligence to be a winning NFL QB!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy can not throw the most basic of passes- the out- and gets intercepted regularly! His trips to the red zone have been failures starting with the STEELERS playoff game. Were it not for an easy schedule, he'd be a failure!

2. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I don't believe that Chad is going anywhere near the bench, anytime soon. Sure, Clemens will be making progress, but Chad gives us the best chance to win and carried this team the whole year. If Chad can decrease the turnovers, then Clemens isn't playing anytime soon.

3. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

i was never a big fan of clemens in college, but maybe he has improved....i still think chad is our best chance of winning over the next few years

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well if Man is true to his word & as smart as he is made out to be then he to sees what CP does not bring to the table. If Mans true goal is to win the SB then he to will have to make the same hard decision that Shanny made in Denver. It sure would be embrassing to us having passed on JC & then see him win the SB before us. Sure will make Man & tan look real silly especially after seeing Bricks 1st year of work in the NFL

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Ugh - my initial post was badly written and lacked clarity - my point, though, was that Brick has a better chance to succeed than Cutler and was the more impressive this past season of the two.

6. championjets69

If this was directed to me I am sorry to say that I totally disagree with what U posted. I am sure you did not see that 70 yd in the air pass by JC. The point is that at this moment as JC is starting & KC is sitting at least in theroy JC in now ahead of KC & those results will become more evident as next season unfolds. As for Brick he is already considered at the least a mild disappointment & when you are picked as the 4th overall pick in the draft you should be considered a superstar not a disappointment

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Brick started 16 games and was much better than the players who manned that role in 2005. Cutler started five games and lost most of them.

Both guys should come back even better yet next season, however. As for Clemens, I can't hold an opinion - I've never seen him play sufficiently, and I tend to dismiss preseason as utterly irrelevent. I hope he'll be good, but no judgments until he's out there doing it.

8. championjets69

To assume somebody will improve from year to year sorry is not a truism. If the so called "experts" + the media + some of us on this board say that Brick was a disappointment no matter that he may have been better then the year before guy & played 16 games is also a so what. NORMALLY a guy that is average or below average is NOT going to be the next NFL super star the next year sorry to say as a OLman. As for KC I also put zero stock in xhibition games so on that issue we are on the exact same page

9. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

remember the PM you sent me about why I voted for you for least intelligent poster?

Here you go...

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm sure, as King is, that if they didn't see potential then Man and Tan wouldn't have drafted him #2. But what he leaves out is that the QB position was wide open at the time of that draft, so a major need was to bring in as many qualified QBs as possible to compete for the job. Nobody knew that Pennington would end up not only healthy but Comeback Player of the Year. This affords them the ability to let Clemens learn from the sidelines, as most good QBs do. Even Brett Favre rode the pine his first year in Atlanta, then got traded. Tom Brady didn't play through a 5-11 rookie season, the list goes on and on.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

What happens if we go to the first round of the playoffs and get kicked out again? Does Chad start in 08 or does Clemens get a shot? Do we even know what we have to take that risk if the whole team improves but Chad self destructs once again in the playoffs? When exactly are the Jets supposed to make the change if Pennington keeps leading them to first round playoff exits?
    There is a huge chance that the team as a whole could get much better in the next two years and we could be having the same conversation about Clemens or Pennington. People are going to keep saying Chad led us to the Playoff so lets stick with him even if he can't lead us to the promised land.

12. Italian Seafood

I guess we're just going to continue this over here?

If you want to continue to think Chad self destructs in the first round, go ahead. I can only point out to you that he's 2-1 in the first round so many times. The team as a whole has to get to the Super Bowl, the QB can do so much. If we can keep getting that far with him we can get the rest of the way with him. If and when the coaching staff thinks it's time to go with Clemens they will. That's what camp is for, Clemens had his shot this past camp and will again. What more do you want?

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Except Pennington is due a huge roster bonus in 09. If they believe Clemens is the guy, they can't afford to keep Chad in 09. If Clemens isn't the guy and is just being groomed as a backup, that's fine they won't have to pay two guys Franchise money. There is a lot of incentive to find out next year what Clemens has if they view him as the guy and Chad as a stop gap. If they view Chad as the guy, they should trade Clemens now before he is pigeon holed as a back up with no real value.

14. Italian Seafood

You're worried about the 09 cap before the 07 season happens? It's a year to year business, let's worry about winning in 2007 first, we have Tannenbaum who knows how to deal with the cap. Clemens has never played a game, his trade value probably hasn't budged since every team passed on him in the draft last spring. Some of you guys get so wrapped up in the future you lose sight of what is going on in the present.

15. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I was going to type of a long post but I'll just save time and say I agree with everything Italian Seafood has said in this thread.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Clemens starts I will be happy.

I will also know and expect him to be better than Chad.

Anything less, and I will lose trust in the coaching staff.

They know what they are doing. Clemens will succeed when he enters.

17. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

The only thing Kellen is going to be pushing next year is a pencil... Chad is the starter... face it, deal with it... it's reality.

Ellis

18. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I agree with Ellis.

Pennington's grasp of the offense is absurd. Moreover, despite his "terrible arm," Pennington won a few of those games by himself early in the year, with virtually no running game.

Peter King is still licking his wounds since he was, after all, the moron who thought Chris Redman would be a better pro than Pennington.

If Clemens wants to beat out Pennington, he's going to have to really show up.

-X-

19. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

It could have been worse. He could have picked Aaron Brooks.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Clemens has to beat out Ramsey before we have to worry about Clemens beating out Chad. This kills me. At this point, Clemens couldn't carry Chads jock strap.