Josh Freeman Won't Be Offered Extension

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Jan 7, 2013.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I was never all that impressed with Freeman and I suspect that any team looking to trade for him would have to give up a lot more for him than he would really be worth (mainly due to the fact that mediocre quarterbacks are inherently overvalued in today's NFL market).

2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

The 4000 passing yards and 27 TD passes look attractive for a 24 year old

But then again, sanchez totaled 32 TDs last year, so anything can happen I guess

3. If you wouldn't trade Sanchez for Freeman straight up then our conversation can go no further. Unlike Sanchez we've seen Freeman throw w/ accuracy, respond to big hits, call out WR's for dropping balls/running the wrong routes & show some hints of a back bone.

Over the past 2 years Sanchez has thrown w/ NO accuracy, he gets rattled from big hits, never shows any means of accountability to younger players & has folded under pressure.

I don't get wrapped up into playoff appearances or lack thereof in this situation. It's obvious that Sanchez was far from the reason for success in 09/10. Rather he depended on a very good surrounding cast. And before we go into Freeman's surrounding cast...when has he ever had a defense even close to what Sanchez has had in NY?

I never suggested we give up a #1 for Freeman. That's insane. I suggested a third rounder or some evenly disributed trade package including picks/Freeman for one of our corners/picks.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that after a couple of AFCCG appearances, Sanchez has at least earned himself a more imagianative nickname than 'Suckchez'. Especially since to majority the doofuses who call him that were likely rooting him on at certain times.

Those morons should at least start some Twitter polls to get people that have brains at their disposal to help them choose a new nickname.

I think it's time for Sanchez to go... at least send him out with style.

5. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Are you fucking kidding me, this past off season they signed VJax and Dallas Clark, drafted Doug Martin, and signed a pro bowl guard from the Saints. Plus he had Mike Williams who killed in his rookie year along with Rejus Benn. Those players alone are better than we had on offense. Grass is not always greener.

6. slimjasi

In 2010 we had a healthy Edwards, Cotchery, Holmes for 12 games, a healthy Keller, LT, a solid running game, a very good offensive line, AND a defense ranked 6th in points allowed and 3rd in yards allowed. IMO, that is better than anything Freeman has ever had to work with in his short career. And again, I'm not all that interested in Freeman . . . I'm just saying.

7. abyzmul

I been kickin the tires on this classic car you brought in and the only thing I can think of is that this old sarcasm meter on it just ain't working anymore.

Want a quote?

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

and we made the AFC Championship Game, right?

9. slimjasi

and Sanchez was the weakest part of that team, RIGHT?

10. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

He wasn't the cause we lost on both counts, our much hyped defense shit the bed for two halves

11. slimjasi

This isn't the least bit relevant to my point. He was still the biggest weakness on both teams. I'm not evaluating him on one or two games, I'm evaluating him on the crux of his NFL career. I, like many others on this board, have watched every snap he's ever taken. He's been anywhere from decidedly mediocre to downright awful, depending on the talent around him.

12. abyzmul

Truth there. Sanchez looked good in the postseason and the crumbling defense gets the credit. I kind of blame Ryan there. The D laid down... more than once.

13. nyjunc

actually he was a strength w/ an up and down run game and up and down D he managed to help us win 11 games. How many games did the D try to blow only to be rescued by mark and the pass O?

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I douno about that the Buccs have alot of talent all over the place, Carl Nicks,Doug Martin,Vincent Jackson,Dallas Clark,Legarette Blunt,Rhonde Barber,Mason Foster,Mark Barron,Mike Williams. And by the Way Vincent Jackson had over 1400 receving yards. So they do have some talent over there for some reason they can never get it together because they fire there Staff every 3 years

15. slimjasi

and yes, our over-hyped defense shit the bed in the 2nd half of the Colts game and the 1st half of the Steelers game, but so did our offense. (we were SHUT OUT in the second half in Indy and we scored three fucking points in the 1st half in Pittsburgh. Those were team losses and both sides of the ball were to blame.)

Whether the looney Sanchez apologists want to admit it or not, our passing game was always the biggest weakness of our 2009 and 2010 teams. Any intellectually honest Jet fans who watched those teams knows this.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Jets need to have two standards when it comes to obtaining a QB.

FA:
    The bar is set pretty low & it's simply a cheap 1-2 year deal. At best this QB will be placeholder starter for a couple seasons. At worst, this QB will lose QB competition & become a backup.

Trade:
    This costs picks & MUST presents an upside better than placeholder/ game-manager.

====
    If Freeman was a FA, signing him to a 1-2 year deal would make sense. However, he is not worth pursuing in a trade. It's better to keep picks & ride with Sanchez/Moore/McElroy.

The odds are against 6th & 7th round sticking around but we're too desperate to throw away those small odds draft-lotto tickets.

Let's examine the late round pick, Slauson. He's turned out to be a serviceable OL for multiple seasons & if he wasn't starting he'd be fantastic backup/depth on OL for cheap contract. He's never gonna be one of the top OL in the game but he has provided average CHEAP service for the Jets.

====
    Don't trade any picks for QB who's just a slight upgrade over the FA market.

17. nyjunc

shut out 2nd half against Indy after the D blew a double digit lead.

Our D was the primary reason we lost both title games, the O deserves their share of the blame but we lost mainly b/c the D didn't show up.

18. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

How many playoff games has Freeman won?

Clown.

19. slimjasi

Do you actually ever bother to read the crap you write? Do you comprehend how absurd you sound? I'm just wondering.

I'm not going to bother providing the meager individual stats of your hero quarerback for your dismissal, since you have repeatedly insisted that "fantasy numbers" (Your preferred dirty nickname for statistics) don't mean anything to you. (By the way, that is an utterly moronic opinion - statistics are the only purely objective way of evaluating things like a quarterback's performance, and while they shouldn't be solely relied upon to evaluate a player, they certainly help illuminate matters of contention . . . but I digress . . .)

In 2010, we were 11-5 . Of our five losses, WE SCORED LESS THAN 10 POINTS IN 4 OF THEM. Like most of us, I watched every play of every one of those games. Sanchez and our passing offense was dreadful in each of those contests. Without going into any more detail (and trust me, I certainly can, I have every game from the last 12 seasons on my hard drive along with a photographic memory), please explain to me, based on the point of fact I just alluded to, HOW THE FUCK Mark Sanchez was a "strength" of that team? Was it his 54.8% completion percentage? Was it his 75.3 QBR? Oh right, I apologize, there I go relying on those meaningless "fantasy numbers" again. My bad. Clown.

#59 slimjasi, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  20. slimjasi

1) To the bolded: Right because that's what good offenses do, they fold their tent and don't score for the rest of the game (AN ENTIRE HALF) after their defense blows an 11 point lead that they held for less than two minutes of actual game time. Got it.

2) A slight improvement on either side of the ball could have won either or both of those games (especially the steelers game).