Joe Namath changed the game forever

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Tell that to MATT SNELL and Dave HERMAN, RANDY RASMUSSEN, JOHN SCHMITT and BOB Taliamini, George Sauer and Pete Lammons!

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Matt Snell is my all-time favorite New York Jet (next to Joe Wooly Mammoth).

[​IMG]

And why shouldn't he be, I ask you.

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

#63 Beamen, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  4. Beamen

Beamen New Member

That is why, from everything I've read, Joe Willie really did deserve the MVP award in Super Bowl III, despite not throwing a TD... That Colts D was supposed to be unbeatable, and he called the shots and brought that team right back down to earth...

5. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Tell that to the Jets D who had 4 int...but I guess they don't count for nothing.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^The Colts offense moved up and down the field that day - they missed a field goal and threw 2 picks in the endzone. The Jets D was not great that day - but they were opportunistic, which was good enough.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

So exactly what are you attempting to say with your post. I would say allowing only 7 points which was given up in garbage time was a pretty good effort

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

People totally underestimate what Namath did for the Jets in SB 3. He didn't have an incredible game, he was efficient and called a great game but it was by no means a great Namath performance.

What people miss is the AFL was every bit as good as the NFL but they were overwhelmed in the first two games as much psychologically as they were physically. Every one on both teams new Namath was the best pure passer in football, it wasn't even a question and Namath kept telling the players all week during film sessions how much better they were than the Colts. SB 3 was the first SB that the team believed they could win and a great deal of that had to do with Namath. The Colts also were outright afraid of him which allowed the Jets to run the ball on them all game.

9. championjets69

Ha I began to laugh when I saw how JWN quick release was beating the vaulted Colts D pass after pass. Then after wearing the Colts D down running the ball down there throats the entire 4th qtr. It was a day that I am sure any NYJ fan that saw that game can still remember to this day! Besides the win it was all that money that any NYJ fan that had the guts was due that had bet the NYJs straight up!

10. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I'm saying that the Jets D, in spite of giving up only 7, did not play all that great. The Colts wracked up yardage but didn't put the ball in the endzone, and the Jets took advantage of their mistakes. Joe Willie's ball control offense was the main reason the Jets won. John Facenda's narration in the original SBIII highlight film said it best "time and again the Colt's offense snowballed down the field, only to melt under the hot glare of the end zone". The Jets D was opportunistic enough to hold the Colt's at bay, and Joe Willie did the rest.

11. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

If the Jets' FO actually listens to the opinions on this board in order to make decisions, they deserve to never get back to the SB....

12. championjets69

Well I do not know if you saw the game or are just going on "hi" lites but 4 INTs & I think 2 fumble recoveries seems pretty good in my book & holding them to all of 7 points would certainly win many games even today. I'm sure fans of today would love to have a D that gave up only 7 points per game. So again I have no idea what you are attempting to say. Always remember that at the nd of the day the only thing that matters is the score not stats & last I remember the NYJs had 16 & the Colts had 7. That meant that our D played a good enough game to win right?

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Eat your heart out, winstonbiggs. Art Monk will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year!

14. winstonbiggs

Doesn't bother me in the least there are plenty of really good but not the best of their era players in the HOF especially if they compiled over time. We might be having this same argument about Wes Welker in 20 years?

#74 winstonbiggs, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I find it ironic that you derided me as a "stat monkey" and your knock on Monk is based on stats.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Posted in the Hall of Fame announcement thread at Football Outsiders.
    Finally, I got some support on the Monk: #1 or #2 WR on Redskins? issue.

17. winstonbiggs

Thrown back nicely.

To be clear my argument is Monk was very good but not the best of his era. The 20 pages of PR campaign that was waged for Monk and available on line doesn't change that. It is the reason he and Harry Carson are in and why Klecko and Hill will never get in. The Giants and Redskins organizations get behind this things and it matters on marginal guys. Monk has been rewarded. I'm sure Curtis will go in before Davis who may not even go in and I would have traded Curtis's entire NFL career for TD's.

#77 winstonbiggs, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I think there are two types of Hall of Famers. There are the no-brainer guys which includes players like Joe Montana, Sammy Baugh, Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, and Chuck Bednarik.

Then there are the other Hall of Famers. These are the guys where we can debate whether or not they truly belong. Guys like Monk, Carson, Howie Long, Jim Kelly, and Len Dawson are in that group. I don't have a problem with those guys being in the HOF. I think if a guy was very good and made some All-Pro teams and was an integral part of his team's success for a decade he deserves consideration.

19. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

[​IMG]

20. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact that prior to Namath's 4000 yard season noone had even thrown more than 3700 yards and noone would throw for 4000 again until 1979, 13 years later, when Fouts did it.

What most stat geeks today forget (and I mean nothing bad about that statement, I'm a stats geek) is how different the passing rules were back in the 60's. No rules protecting QB's, no 5 yard bump rule on DB's, infact about the only way for a DB to draw an interference or holding call was if the ball was in the air. Not saying they were real football players back then, just stating the rules were very different than the passing friendly rules adopted in the late 70's early 80's.