Joe Namath changed the game forever

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kentucky Jet, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I actually take offense to that because it implies I don't know what the fuck I'm watching. I saw Monk time after time after time run a dodge pattern and break it down the sideline for a first down. The guy was a clutch performer. He rarely ever dropped a pass.

I'm a stat monkey, yet I don't pay much attention to passer rating.
    I'm a stat monkey, but I list a guy catching 29 passes in a full season as being one of the best single season performances by a WR of all-time.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Of course Monk was better than Cotchery but he was the No. 2 guy and essentially a possession WR not like Irvin at all and that's why he isn't in the HOF even with his big time stats.

3. winstonbiggs

If you saw Monk for most of his career and saw Irvin and don't get why Irvin is in the HOF and Monk isn't than feel free to take offense. You were the one who said I can't see how anyone who saw them sees that much of a difference, they were completely different players and had completely different roles.

I apoligize for calling you a stat monkey, you're one of the guys who's opinion I respect.

#43 winstonbiggs, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

First, let me just write again before it gets lost here, that I do recognize Irvin as being better. However, I don't recognize him as being substantially better than Monk. Too many times did I see Monk make key plays in games. I think a case can be made that Monk was one of the best possession receivers. Irvin was not what one would label as a possession receiver. Irvin wasn't much more of a deep threat, however. They both had a similar number of 60+ yard catches.
    I remember in the 1980s that, outside of Jerry Rice, Monk seemed to me to be the best WR in the game. I do have support here because Monk is on the 1980s All-Decade Team along with Rice, Steve Largent, and James Lofton.
    Then in the next decade, he was so-so in 1990 and then was a big factor on the 1991 Super Bowl team. It was the 51 games he played from 1992-95 where he was just kind of hanging on and compilin'.
    I thought Monk was better than his stats and that his presence allowed Clark and Sanders to do the things they did.

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Here we go again. How old are you? Don't lie. If you did not see Namath play in the 60's, your opinion means squat. The game has changed so much since then.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

See us spin around aimlessly in our wheelchairs at the Rest Home. Next up is that Joe Namath doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. 10, 9, 8, 7....

7. winstonbiggs

There is the real problem in the 80's Lofton, Stallworth and Largent were the best recievers in the game and all in my opinion and in the opinion of the voters were a cut above Monk and they were his peers. Henry Ellard isn't in the HOF and he was a contemporary of Monks, Gary Clark isn't either both of whom who I thought were better and clear No. 1. Than you had guys like Chandler and Stanley Morgan when he was healthy was a total game breaker and a bigger threat on the football field than Monk in the same era. Maybe the best argument for Monk is Joiner but Charlie really played in the earlier era as did Swann.

He played in an era of great WR and being the No. 2 guy on his own team and having a long career but not really being considered the top 2 or 3 in an era of great WR doesn't get you in the HOF. Irvin was the No. 1 guy on the No. 1 team the guy was universally hated but he put up the numbers in his prime and was right up there with the very best in the big situations.

You could argue that Wes Welker was the biggest clutch performer on the Pats other than Brady and if he puts together 2 more seasons in a row like he had this year and than has a full career where he ranks high in total catches he will have done what Monk did. I wouldn't consider Welker a top 5 WR in the league although he is clearly an outstanding possession WR and can't be covered out of the slot that still doesn't mean he is a HOF WR. 20 years from now we may look at Welkers stats and say why isn't he in the HOF.

This era is going to be interesting because you have tons of big stat guys both recieving and running the ball but the reality is only 2 or 3 in the same era will deserve being in the HOF. That is what really plays against Monk who played in the era of the deep passing game and big plays and was over shadowed and rightfully so.

This is why a guy like Namath deserves the HOF, he fundamentally changed the passing game in the NFL, now he wasn't the only one you did have guys like Jurgenson but Namath put the spotlight on the QB and the quick strike game that has made the NFL so popular. You can see how the league continues to try and open up the deep passing game every time the defense catches up because the league knows that to the average fan the quick strike is still the most exciting play in football and keeps people watching. The big play WR is also tied up in that and will always over shadow the possession WR and rightfully so it creates fear in the opposition. This is why Welker will never get the attention that Moss does and why Lofton is in the HOF and Monk isn't.

#47 winstonbiggs, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Youngster, see my post above

9. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Great clip. Note the accuracy of those passes. Also remember - there is no offensive coordinator or coach calling plays - Joe Willie is reading the D and coming up with the play on the spot. And as an aside - check out Boozer's block on the blitzer coming in on the TD pass play. Back when running backs actually blocked. Great stuff.

10. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

11. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

12. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I wasn't born until 72 but I have seen a lot of his games on tape.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I have a copy of SB3 as it was telecasted by NBC. Those passes to GS in that game was things of beauty & was probably his very, very best game. You know he did not throw a pass in the 4th qtr of SB3 as the NYJ OL just hammered the Colt DL into submission?

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yup. I noticed Boozer's block on the replay, too. Was that the first MNF game? We still had Sour and Caster was also on the team. Grainy but good, I needed that this week.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Thank you Mr Namath for our one Shining Moment. The sad thing is if you were coming out in the draft this year Tangini would not take you because your not a Mangini guy. Your better than that. Your the Greatest Jet of All Time!

16. ingenius

ingenius New Member

no doubt the win over the colts changed history. it's too bad we have nothing else to be proud of.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Ah come on be nice as KSjet wants you to be. Stop posting the truth which is what most on this board do not want to hear because then it makes them think how stinky a team we really are

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You guys ought to get a room. Get some candles and voodoo dolls of Woody Johnson and Chad Pennington. Just make sure the room doesn't have Internet access. :up:

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Is there any Jet you want gone from the roster? You defend J-mac drop too don't ya?

20. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I seen that game I don't know how many times and yes Joe did throw some nice passes but our D won that game.