Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what he did - drafted bad football players on purpose.:rolleyes:

You don't think he would've drafted different players if Saleh & Co were the CS then?

Jets69 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re saying that he drafted players (most of which are bad) based solely on Gase’s system. If that’s the case, then Douglas should be fired tomorrow. Gase doesn’t have any wildly defined systems anyways like a wide zone, wide-9, man corners, etc.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So you're saying that a GM doesn't take into account the type of system his HC is using? That he just drafts whoever he feels like and tells his CS "Here ya go!"

PJ4Ever likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There aren't any offensive systems that call for cantankerous, slow-footed OT's and WR's who can't learn playbooks or run routes.

The failures of the 2020 class are on Douglas.

Borat, ouchy, papapump and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

What skill sets did Lamical Perine, Ashtyn Davis, Zuniga, Cam Clarke and James Morgan have that fit Gase’s systems?

Wirfs and Becton were the same style of mauler run blockers and he chose Becton. I guess if you want you can argue Mims for Gase solely but it was obvious we were targeting Van Jefferson in a trade down (dad was the receiver coach here) and Douglas overthought the trade down.

BrooklynJetsFan, Borat and ouchy like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

good points

two things come to mind for me:

1. Becton vs Wirfs…if I recall, Wirfs was a RT and we were looking for a LT. Doesn’t mean that Wirfs couldn’t play LT, but I think there were two factors…one, Becton WAS a LT, so you didn’t need to “project” him there, but more importantly, I think JD went for potential…he took the player with a lower floor but a higher ceiling at that size. I would have been totally fine with Wirfs…safe pick and Iowa produces lots of very good OL. I think this was a higher ceiling type decision

2. The whole trade down thing…I know lots of people love to say trade down a lot, and there are definitely times where you should. However, this trade down is a great example of the risk…trading down gets you more players, but I’d rather have one very good player than 2 or 3 JAG’s. Would anyone here NOT trade Jefferson for both Mims and Davis? That’s why I don’t have a problem with the trade up for AVT. Yes the price was high. But I’d rather have the very good RG which was a HUGE need for us than a lower player even with the two 3rd rounders…they’d have just as much chance of turning into more Davis’ and Zuniga’s. AVT stepped in as a rookie and we haven’t had to worry about RG. That’s valuable.

anyway…I think this upcoming draft may be a good trade down spot with one of our first rounders, but I hope JD doesn’t get too cute with it.

Borat, PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We can’t knock the trade back, 99% of this board loves it when our GM trades down, personally I hate them, you are leaving good players for other teams to take when you trade back.

9. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

6 years !!

AJW likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

As I've said before, his first draft class looks bad while his second looks good even with a TBD on the QB. How the 2022 haul performs will go a long way towards determining how long he's on the job.

11. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

6 year contract.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....o-reported-6-year-contract-as-new-gm.amp.html

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

12. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Why is everyone giving up on Wilson? Look at Phil Simms first few seasons with the Giants. Sometimes it takes time and better personnel around a QB to achieve his full potential. I see glimpses but it is hard when your WR's are on injured reserve. Give thr guy more time. Patience!!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Zach busts the 2021 draft is a HUGE bust. Lets not forget what we walked away from to take Zach. It was the most valuable pick in our history.

tomdeb, Bellys Lies and Jets69 like this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

What did we walk away from and can you prove it?

Before you talk about what the 3rd pick brought, I will say again that is not a carbon copy of what the jets would have gotten, or proof that the 9ers would not have traded for the 3 anyways with the jets trying to sell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Idzik was essentially a cap guy, and really not much of an upgrade from Tannenbaum. He was out of his element for sure, but a small part of me felt bad for him. I think it's lingering old school mentality about any profession: I'll fake it.

A lot of people forget that Idzik's father used to work for the Jets, QB development coach or something like that (Todd & Robinson). I think he was also some other kind of assistant OC coach here, but he left because he and Walt Michaels were always at each other's throats. And the beat goes on.

So, slightly off-topic, but just thought I'd throw it out out there for no other reason than to just throw it out there, haha.

HomeoftheJets and AJW like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

No it’s not. It only busts the whole draft class if we spend 6 years trying to prove Wilson was the right choice into a second contract while the good players we drafted end up leaving their prime before we can compete.

You can miss on draft picks. It’s OK. You can even miss on selecting quarterbacks. When a franchise takes too long to right the wrong that’s what ends up setting them back.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't see why the 49ers wouldn't have done it. Maybe Lynch could have thought he could get the 2 pick for less than what he gave up for the 3 pick but the day he made that trade he and his crew had breakfast with the Jets entourage, before the trade went down.

ouchy likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Some of them I think were drafted for Gase/Williams' scheme fit, some weren't.

On your list - Perine, Zuniga, Becton, Mims for scheme fits, Davis & Morgan were taking a chance on their skill sets. Clarke was like 6th round right? by then nobody is a scheme pick....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can only speak for Becton and Perine, both of whom were productive in the man scheme, Perine looks completely lost when he has too many options to choose from so his field vision sucks and he can't freelance like he needs to in this offense.

Becton we have been over a lot and he's just too fucking big to run all day long.

Mims is definitely not physical enough and his routes are terrible. I consider him a bad fit because he's not a willing blocker but since he really couldn't get open with Gase it's probably more about him being a shitty football player than anything.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The thing about JD's trade down to get Mims - Chase Claypool went with very next pick. If we kept the pick, we could have beaten Stealers to it. Jefferson went next. Maybe JD had Chase, Jefferson, and Mims rated similarly, but the bottom line is: he was wrong. Claypool and Jefferson are producing at critical spot while Mims doesn't look like he even belongs in NFL. That is a pretty big mistake by JD, there is no way around that.