Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It’s a slightly bizarre yardstick that the last remaining Douglas defenders are still trotting out the “yes but Idzik” argument as a measure of success. I’d be a great Secretary of State because I’m not Genghis Khan.

Notwithstanding, if three consecutive GMs have been this appalling then you have to start looking at institutional issues. The law of averages state that we should have had someone relatively competent pass through the FO by now.

SOJAZ, stinkyB, Cman68 and 6 others like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idzik sucked because keeping Rex was a condition of taking the job, so that's who the Jets were stuck with. Mac sucked because the Johnsons went with whoever Casserly recommended, i.e. nepotism. And Douglas sucks because keeping Gase was a condition of taking the job, same problem as with Idzik's hiring.

Br4d and ConcordeChops like this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That's only because jets fans flock to vote for the players reconizedby nfl, we need something to hold onto

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We just need to remember that Gase was in his first year on the job when Douglas was hired. It would have been fairly bizarre to hire Gase, fire Maccagnan, hire Douglas and then fire Gase. Bizarre even by Jet's standards.

SOJAZ, Cman68 and KingRoach like this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic

6. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I disagree completely. NO ONE could have predicted what happened to the 2020 draft class. It's pure arrogance on your part to play Monday morning QB and pretend as though you could have done better. And I'll be the first to admit it appears as though the 2020 draft has very few keepers? Bryce Hall and a punter?

7. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas is an EXCELLENT GM. Probably the very best this pathetic, shitty organization has ever had. I say that while being 100% aware that the 2020 draft class at this point looks like a wash. I'm not going to get into all of the good he's done for the Jets. But most of you are well aware. Would his critics enjoy going back to the MIKE Macagnan days?

KingRoach likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Excellent at trades, yes. The drafting still leaves a lot to be desired. Moving on from Darnold was the right move, but Zach hasn't shown enough to make one think he's a franchise QB. The team has won 12 games since Joe got hired. At some point, they need to win more than 7 games in a season.

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You could use this exact same defense for Idzik's drafts.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Excellent dude?

The punter is horrible. Becton is the last salvageable piece of the 2020 class realistically other than Hall and for those who think Ashtyn Davis isn’t dogshit because PFF.

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Ok, I am curious. Not about what you taste like.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

#232 abyzmul, Dec 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Jonathan_Vilma and twown like this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

abyzmul likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

abyzmul likes this.
  15. abyzmul

Found that while digging through my inbox the other day, BeastBeach sent it over to me at the time and I was like "cool" because I had no idea what AV Club was. Bragging 7 years later just doesn't have the same punch.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Nope... All you need is high hopes and a positive outlook. Winning doesn't matter. Hasn't mattered since Woody bought the team. So, for the sake of our sanity lets keep the bar as low as possible, ignore the obvious and buy into the distant future.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And all this time I thought Barcs was a throwaway Abyzmal set up and posted a few thousand posts on so he could eventually go off on drag queens in combat boots!

Who knew?

18. abyzmul

Never sweat a well-organized bit.

Br4d likes this.
  19. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

A big difference between JD and Idzik is their respective football experience prior to getting to the GM position...JD has the complete track record and football ops experience that most acceding to a GM position have, while Idzik had more of an admin/cap background....That led to Idzik keeping almost the entire scouting staff he inherited which is usually not the case...that was red flag number one...The not trading any of his 12 picks in 2014 solidified his incompetence...I think the best way to describe Idzik was, he knew what the GM job was supposed to do but he didn't know how to do it himself...He probably could have taught a hell of a class on it but being in the decision making chair is much different...JD has been pretty good at most of the job, especially considering what he's had to work with but has also shown some rookie mistakes, the top two mistakes he's shown to me are: 1) In the FA market, he sometimes confuses cheap w/ value...he's finding that sometimes you get what you pay for and in NFL FA sometimes you have to overpay with "great" money for a "good" player...You can't make a living by doing that but you also can't make a living on underpaying for below average talent...2) Hiring a rookie HC who's plan was to hire a rookie CS may end up killing him...I'm a believer in hiring the coach and letting him pick his staff, but knowing the HC is a rookie and knowing his plan for his CS (which there's zero doubt JD knew upon hiring him) is risky and if 2022 is a disaster, I think both JD and Saleh will be out of a job. Here's hoping 2022 is a big year and big step forward for Wilson and Saleh and that JD kills it in the draft because I think this whole thing depends on it.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

You need to treat this like some new bud and break that shit up...

abyzmul likes this.