Joe Douglas: Superstar?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Apr 24, 2023.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

That scratched where I itch.

2. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

This trade reminded me of the scene in draft day, when the Gm's job is on the line and he is pressured by the owner to get a Qb so he gives up 3 1st's to get a qb, Jd don't care about the future, he knows if things don't turn around fast he will be canned, so this is a desperation heave and a prayer by him, any Gm like that shouldn't have a job in the league espicially one who is 20-46 lifetime and drafted the biggest bust in Nfl history. And couldn't put together one good offensive line in 4 years. Please remind me the last time a team traded any significant draft capital for a 40 year old qb with a absurd contract that had no other suitors and his team was publicly saying they are done with him? Please. This moron got fleeced. He knows that if Jets don't make the playoffs this year he's canned so acted in desperation

#62 jets4848, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    mrodriguez4096 likes this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Most GB fans didn’t think they got enough. Most Jets fans think we overpaid. That’s usually the sign of a fair trade. I don’t like that we’re giving next year’s first (let’s face it, that’s what it will be), but I love that our QB is Aaron Rodgers.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

A superstar no, but I think he was a victim of circumstance and in many ways, his own success. He came to the Jets with the understanding that he was going to rebuild the Jets through the draft after a succession of GM/Coach parades who promised the same. To most Jet fans I would suspect that the word "rebuild" means building a team that would be able to sustain winning season after season and seriously compete for a title. He was on his way to accomplishing this, however, the miss at QB threw a serious monkey wrench into the plans. If Wilson had progressed as expected of a #2 overall pick, there wouldn't be a need to go out and get Rodgers. However, his other picks were good enough to make the Jets a solid winning team, maybe earlier than he expected. Wilson may yet prove to be an NFL QB but his development rate is too slow for the roster JD assembled that demonstrated it can win now. With the acquisition of Rodgers and the shunting aside of Wilson, the Jets have abandoned "rebuilding." They are now a team that will be expected to win and win big (at least for two years.)

5. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

So you wanted Douglas to get Carr and have him compete with the likes of Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert??????? You are kidding right? Aren't you tired of watching the Jets been losers for the last 10 years? There is nothing we can do about Zach it is what it is...

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Where in my post did I say I wanted Carr? Getting Rodgers is like trying to climb a mountain with rope, axe and pitons, getting 3/4 the way to the top when someone offers you a helicopter ride the rest of the way. Short term success presented itself and the Jets took it. This deal does nothing to insure the long term success of the Jets which is why I thought we hired Douglas. A good GM?....I guess so, but not a superstar in my eyes.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

If the Jets get 1 title out of Rodgers, they could go 0-17 the next 5 years and it wouldn't bother me at all.

westiedog1 and NOVAJET like this.
  8. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Thats a big if, anything short of him playing 2 years, winning the division and sniffing the superbowl will make this trade a epic failure. We still have to go Thru Cinci, Buffalo and Kc to make it to the superbowl which is not easy feat, and Ar has to stay healthy behind this atrocious offensive line which no easy feat, like I said this has debacle written all over it which the Jets specialize in. People acting like we are getting a 25 year old Aaron Rodgers in his prime, no we are getting a freakin 40 year old who is coming off one of the worst years of his career.

soh_vet and westiedog1 like this.
  9. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

People actually out here mad Joe didn't get Rodgers for a 7th round pick.

SOJAZ and horsehead like this.
  10. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Yeah and who was willing to pay more than that but the Jets? At the very least we could of gotten him for a conditional pick. Instead Joe Douglas went to the car auction and lucked out so much that he was the only buyer bidding on a beat up ferrari with 250k miles on it which the owner is deseperate to get rid of because he just got a brand new one and what does the bufoon do? He jacks the price up on himself.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The board was delusional about how much leverage Douglas had in negotiations, but that doesn't mean that it's acceptable that he didn't protect the 2024 first rounder against anything other than injury. It's putting his job over the good of the team because he could have even given GB a bit more compensation this year to protect that pick. But he didn't because he doesn't care what happens to us after this year if we miss the playoffs.

12. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

One thing overlooked by many…it’s possible Aaron gets through to Zach and the kid learns how to read what’s in front of him on the field. That’s one of the things we really need to happen from this trade. Fix that kid.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think we had the leverage and panicked to overpay a bit.

Can't really blame JD as this has Woody's fingerprints all over it.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Are you making your avatars yourself? Can you make a better Aaron Rodgers in Red and Yellow like my current Avatar? But I want face of Rodgers more visible

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

think Woody

James Hasty likes this.
  16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That right there seemed like a good argument for trading away the draft capital for a proven player

17. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

What are the cap hits for Rodgers over the next 3 yrs What if he retires after 1 yr What is the hit yr 2. These are the things I am most interested in. We have a few big contracts that start to hit the books mostly next yr. Tomlinson, Mosely, Lazard, Rodgers,etc.

AG3 likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Which finally closes chapter one. The rest of the book is yet to be written. Whether it is a love story, a tragedy or just another comedy is still to be seen.

joe likes this.
  19. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I've got my money on a suspense, action blockbuster with a thrilling climax.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're looking for the movie version which is over in just a couple of hours.