JFM traded to Denver for 2026 6th Rounder

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This says nothing about getting a 4th though? Could have been nothing more than a 5th round pick swap. It's clear JD just wanted to dump JFM ASAP. We weren't getting much back regardless if all we finalized on was a 6th two years from now.

2. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Yeah, what Borat asked above and who beat me to the post. I'd lean more into guessing a pick swap trade up to 145 or 147 would of been the more rational deal to be made there.

That we got the 6th back here as an alternative seems like we may have even arguably come out ahead on that to me. Payton wasn't doign what another GM did last year in the comp talks and outbidding himself here just to get a deal done a salary dump JAG the other team clearly wanted off their books.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Another Douglas blunder

IDFjet and jets_fan like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

They seem to be a dime a dozen at this point.

IDFjet likes this.
  5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Zach's pick, was part of the 1st-round tradedown to #11.Or maybe the trade-up for Corley. (too lazy to go see which one)
    So maybe in the end, Zach gave back some value, other than salary/cap savings...

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it’s just ridiculous, can’t get basic stuff right. It’s been how many years now

James Hasty and jets_fan like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, this 6th we got was turned into a 5th in a trade down with Minny in the 1st round, and then used to move up 7 spots in the 3d to get Corley. It wasn't much but something. But the point I was making though that we should have been able to get a bit more for JFM than for Zach.

His new contract is 2 years 15 mii, 10 guaranteed. This is not 28 mil at all, it's half of it. JD said we could not close the gap financially, but 7.5 per does not seem like a crazy deal for someone like JFM. I don't know, we got next to nothing back, the new contract is not terrible at all, it just doesn't look like a good move to me.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, and think that's a reasonable deal for a very good OL. I'm surprised that you didn't respond to the poster's comment that AVT is a "rotational JAG." That's positively absurd and totally wrong.

10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Don’t think he was worth the new contract either tbh, not mad at the move especially if clearly no other team was willing to give up more than that so that tells you everything

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Unless I misunderstood something, we were talking about JFM, not AVT or OL. @NJJets pointed out that the contract is bad, which is why we basically could not get any value and had to dump it. However, I provided a link where it is only 2 year 15 mil for JFM, with only 10 guaranteed. For what we are getting in JFM, I think it is a very good value, and the contract like this does not need to be dumped unless we are getting something meaningful back. And a 6th rounder two years from now is not it.

To summarize, the move to dump JFM (15 mil over two years - 7.5 per, 10 guaranteed) for a 6th round pick two years from now is not a good one IMO. I think JD should have waited to get a better deal or keep him for that price.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought you were talking about AVT's option being picked up. I agree that what we were paying JFM was a good value and he was a valuable starter, but he was really the only option to get additional cap space so that the Jets could sign their drat picks and have some money for the season. I totally agree that a 6th round pick 2 years down the road was a terrible trade, but I guess Denver know that the Jets were in a bind, and weren't going to help them. That's what happens when your GM is incompetent has made bad signings, bad draft picks, bad trades, and hasn't managed the cap well. I believe that it's even going to be much worse next season. With 11 starters and 6 key backups going to be FAs next year and with all the core players that the Jets want to re-sign/extend, I think we'll be lucky to keep somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of those players. We'd better make some serious noise this year, because we're going to be right back rebuilding next year.

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The new contract is what he signed in Den to my understanding. His remaining 2 years on his existing contract with us was 28m approximately. I’m sure JD tried to restructure it, maybe JFM said no? Bottom line, this team no longer has the luxury of rotating a million decent DT’s like JFM. Our DT’s have been rumbling about wanting more snaps, now they’re gonna get them. We need all the salary room we can get to fill critical “win now” positions. JFM is not a critical “win now” player and he took up way too much space. The 7.5m we save this year is critical.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

These two years were not guaranteed, basically he wanted 15 mil and JD, perhaps using your logic, didn't want to keep him. Let's just hope everyone stays healthy and Clemons can contribute if someone does get hurt. And McD will have to deliver. Also, Kinlaw is now going to be key. Saleh better be right about him. No more option to put JFM inside on likely passing downs. I just thought for these 7.5 mil we could be getting a heck of a lot. Also all of the sudden that 2nd round pick for Reddick 1 year rental, which is based on playing time, is not all that unlikely. Just overall doesn't seem like a great deal for us.

15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

.....and takes at least 2-3 backbreadking RTP calls with him. Could be addition by subtraction.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The defensive line depth got weaker and all but you can’t pay a backup hybrid DE/DT that much money. He didn’t net much because the rest of the league probably figured that as well.

Didn’t we also restructure him already and kick money down the road? That’s money they don’t want on the books next year.

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.