Jets will go WR with the 4th pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

ML has an offence that is built off the run that leads to play action down the field. The problem is that our D couldn’t keep us in games and that changed the play calling/game plan on the fly for a young QB.

I saw a really quick accurate release that down the stretch looked more poised. Does he need to take a big jump year 2? Absolutely! Does our D have to be a lot better to not the offence get hung out to dry? Absolutely!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

ZW was all over the place on his screens and swings last year and that didn't change from start to finish.

He threw the ball high, he threw it behind, he threw it low and he threw it too hard. He's going to have to be able to make those passes without thinking too much in the process and he's going to have to make them like clockwork.

If you cannot reliably hit a wide open receiver 7-10 yards from you you cannot play in the NFL.

Mike White has half the arm that ZW does but he can hit those throws all day long and he can make quick decisions as to who to throw too. He is much more suited for Lafleur's offense than Wilson.

Sanchez and Darnold both had exactly the same problems that Wilson does in the short passing game. We've seen this dog and pony show before.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

of course. I think JD has earned a little trust. i'll give him the benefit of the doubt

4. Br4d

Who trusts 6-27?

Ralebird likes this.
  5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I think this is one of the reasons why the additions of Uzomah and Conklin are so big for this team. Big, reliable targets (especially compared to Kroft, Griffin, Wesco) and less of a need to rely on the type of passes to RBs that were an issue.

6. Br4d

The SFO offense dumps a lot of passes off to the backs. They run a lot of WR bubble screens.

Zach Wilson has to be able to make that pass with his eyes closed. If he can't it isn't going to matter who the Jets bring in.

Michael Carter and Ty Johnson were targeted 20 times in the Jets win over the Bengals. They caught 14 passes.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree that he didn't improve over the last five games in this regard. He still needs to improve, but he was a rookie learning a new style of play (for him) at NFL speed. He's always stepped up in the past, so I think he will again, but of course until we see it it remains a question.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I wish I can remember who said it, but after the signings of Uzomah and Conklin, the Jets are going to resemble the the Packers more than the 49ers, and the Packers run a lot more 12 personnel as compared to the 49ers, which doesn't surprise me because of Juszczyk.

As for the Bengals game, that volume speaks as much to the Jets' state of WR and TE (no Davis that game) and, let's be honest, F- coaching by the Bengals on the defensive side of the ball. Frankly, the high volume of targets to Carter and Johnson speaks to limitations/stubbornness of White. 50 of their 110 targets came in the New England game where White came in, the aforementioned Bengals game and the Bills game when the Mike White for MVP bandwagon careened into a ditch. By comparison, from 2017-21 only twice did the 49ers have a RB/FB with 40 or more targets (the most being McKinnon with 46 in 2018).

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Hate to quote myself but look at the play at 2:49 here in comparison to the Burks clips:

Very similar play to the two Burks catches down the field in the video above. London floats into the air while Burks looks like his feet are in mud. Combine that with the height advantage and I just think London is way more of a mismatch than Burks.

#69 REVISion, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    IIMeanDeanII and KingRoach like this.
  10. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Hard to argue. Wilson looked like Darnold in year one in that he can make the hard throws that not many Qb’s can make but can’t consistently make the easy ones that all successful Qb’s need to make.

He’s got more talent overall than either Darnold and Sanchez so hopefully he can figure it out like Josh Allen.

The team the Jets put around him last year didn’t do him any favors...

The Jets need to improve their oline and running game. They lack consistency and they almost always got overwhelmed when just 1 yard is needed on 3rd/4th... regardless of Zach’s struggles, hard for a young Qb to succeed with a subpar line, running game, bad TE’s and poor WR depth.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Elijah Moore fits that profile to a T!!

REVISion, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  12. Br4d

What Zach Wilson needs is a power running game with speed to the outside. That will bring the safeties up and then he's got his receivers one on one down the sidelines.

It's what worked at BYU.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I’m talking about when it comes to my concerns on London. He makes the odd splash play but that’s it… He’s super slow, his hands are questionable with balls right through them and he gets shaken up all the time. This prospects reeks of being a bust.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with this take. It could mean that, but not necessarily. One decision that JD makes doesn't mean that's what he's always going to do. You guys are trying to pigeon-hole JD and define, him, and I don't think he's going to be that easy to pin down. Hill was a unique scenario. It was an opportunity to add a stud vet WR to our offense. They may not see Wilson the same as they do Hill. The fact that they like Hill or Wilson doesn't mean that they don't like, want or value a big WR. They can draft Wan'Dale Robinson in the 3rd or 4th round who can give them all the Deebo Samuel stuff. IMO you don't take a WR in the 1st round for that. You take a WR in the 1st round because he has #1 WR potential and you think he can help you immediately.

MLF also wants WRs who can block. Neither Hill nor Wilson are going to give you that like a bigger bodied WR can. MLF also wants speed. I may be mistaken, but think Watson is faster than Wilson and most of the other WRs in this draft class. He is also insanely athletic, moreso than any other WR in this draft class or most other draft classes. The Jets coached him at the Sr. Bowl and could be sold on him.

15. NCJetsfan

I both agree and disagree with this statement. I don't really see any of the WRs except maybe pre-injury Williams as being worthy of the #4 pick, but the reality is that in order to get the WR they want (if they really want one WR more than the others), then they may have to take him at #4. Atlanta has crap at the WR position. They pick #8. They could take the WR the Jets want. Neither Hutch nor KT may be there at #4, and there's a good chance that JJ and Karlaftis will both be there at #10. Therefore, they could think "if we take an Edge at #4, we may not get the WR we covet, but if we take that WR at #4, we can still get the Edge we want or the next best Edge at #10."

Ultimately I really don't care how they do it, as long as they come out of the 1st round with an Edge and WR and don't trade up from the 2nd round in order to do it. If they "reach" for a WR at #4 and he turns out to be the player they thought he would be, no one will care except some obsessive-compulsive anal types in the fanbase and media. If they take a DB or DT in the 1st round, I'm not going to be happy, but I will give JD the benefit of the doubt and hope it works out.

#75 NCJetsfan, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes on the rankings by the media "experts" Watson is down the chart in 2nd round range, but I think that's largely due to school where he played and the level of competition. With his Sr. Bowl and Combine testing, I don't see any way he falls to the 2nd round or later, especially with GB, Atlanta, KC, maybe Seattle and others wanting or needing WRs. IMO it all depends upon what the Jets think about his potential after coaching him at the Sr. Bowl. In addition to his having the highest athletic rating possible, his football IQ is supposedly off the charts. If they want him, I can't imagine the Jets not taking him at #10 or after a little trade down. I don't think he makes it out of the 1st round. He may not even make it to KC's or GB's pick in the 1st round.

17. NCJetsfan

Sharp cuts aren't the only aspect of route running. Varying how one gets off the LOS, where one looks or feints, how one varies speed, body positioningand other similar devices can be used to gain separation. Even though Burks may not jump that high, he knows how to use his size and strength to put his body between the DB and the ball, so that works in contested catch situations as well as outleaping the DB. Then with his size and strength he breaks a lot of tackles and can then outrun DBs and defeat their angles.

I'm not saying that the Jets should draft Burks any more, but think I could be happy if they did. At this point, if we can only have one WR out of the draft, I'd rather have Watson. Wilson and Watson or Wilson and Pickens or Wilson and Burks would be awesome.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I just think about it from a needs standpoint and I don't see anyone other than Atlanta taking a WR in the top 9. Only other one that's somewhat plausible would be the Giants because they have 2 top-7 picks but I highly doubt they go WR with Golladay's albatross of a contract.

So worst case, we miss out on "WR1" whereas if we try to wait on EDGE, there's a decent chance we'd have to take "EDGE5" in the class. The separation between the top 2-3 WR's isn't nearly as much IMO as the drop off from Thibodeaux to Ojabo/Karlaftis is.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

don't know what you mean by 6-27?