Jets will add 4 players to ROH this season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I met Wesley Walker about 10 years ago down in Florida at a Jets pep rally before a Dolphins game. Very personable. Nice guy. I must have talked with him one on one for 20 minutes....I think I was annoying other people who wanted his autograph...LOL.

IMO he should have been inducted into the ROH before Toon, however it may be they are saving that so that he has his own day......

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

LOL, yeah, that had to be a factor.

Remember the hockey game "Blades of Steel"? Was that part of the Tecmo family too? I loved that game.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I love Wesley and Al but I think Al was the more consistent player while Wesley was a great deep threat. Wesley just dropped way too many balls, it was boom or bust for him. Either a deep ball or nothing. I think both deserve and both will receive the honor but I have no problem w/ Al goig in first.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Blades of Steel was a Konami game (same company that made Contra & Castlevania).

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're the #'s guy and always look at the facts.

Wesley Walker had better stats..........Fact!

Almost a 20 yard per rec. average is incredible. 71 TDs.

Both players very good WRs, but Walkers' stats and longer career should have given him the nod to enter before Toon.

Walker had a case of the drops is his first & second year, 77 & 78, after that he had solid hands. His reputation for drops last well into his career, but it was a myth after year 2....that''s a fact.

I doubt there is another Jet fan on this site that knows more about Walker's career. I've seen every play of Walker's career from day one his rookie year (77).

Don't try to agrue with me Junc, in your "I'm right, youre an asshole " way...it won't work.

Facts are Facts.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

No quarrel with any of the four, but I agree that Walker deserves it before Toon.

7. nyjunc

You have me confused w/ someone else, I am not all about #s. #s tell part of the story.

Wesley was a feast or famine guy, no in btw. If we needed a biog catcn we didn't go to Wesley we went to Toon. I saw Wesley drop way too many balls and I rarely saw Toon drop any.

I didn't see Wesley in the 70s, I saw him in the 80s and hewas still dropping passes so that's not a myth.

For all his better #s he only had 2 1,000 yd seasons in 13 years. 19 Yds per rec is great but if he caught more balls that would have gone way down but he was an all or nothing guy. Toon was the guy who movesd the chains and set up the offense to score points, he was vital in every aspect of the offense, Wesley just ran straight and caught some TDs. If I need a big play on 3rd down at a critical moment I'm throwing Al's way, I know he'll catch it.

I don't mean to take anything away from Wesley but it's ignorant to assume just b/c he had better #s he was better than Toon or had a greater impact.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

[​IMG]

9. nyjunc

Isn't your post going against what you and the other mods have been emphasizing? Isn't this a discussion board? We all have different opinions, I didn't say his was wrong, I simply stated a case why it's not crazy to put Toon in ahead of Walker.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I don't have you confused with anyone else...LOL.

Walker hardly ever dropped a ball after 1978, he earned that reputation in 1977, his rookie year. Some people believe he dropped a lot of passes early in his career cause he had to adjust using one eye. I saw his entire career...solid hands after year 2.

Walker was a deep threat, but also many of his plays were YAC. You can't say Walker was less valuable, cause he was primarily a deep threat, that's nonsense.

Live in your fantasy world that Toon had better hands than Walker, both were solid players and made plays to win ball games. Walker just did it for longer and his stats prove it.

Walker's longevity and stats should've have made him entered the ROF first.

Seems to me most in this thread agree with my POV.

Close to 9000 yard and 71 TDS, end of the story......Toon isn't even close.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm discussing with you your POV is offbase.

Let's not start about arguing, that's calling the kettle black.

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Toon and Walker are comparable. Toon was on his way to the Hall of Fame until the concussions. Walker was more of a deep threat but was hurt alot. They have plenty of players who will end up honored. Walker, Gastineau, Fields, Powell, Chrebet, Clifton, Mehl, Lewis, Sauer, Snell, Boozer among others.

13. nyjunc

I saw Walker from 1981 until the end of his career, I have a million 80s games on tape and in just about every one I see him dropping passes so he was dropping plenty in the 80s.

There's absolutely no doubt Toon had better hands, Toon wasn't afraid to go across the middle and make the tough catches. His career was cut short b/c of his fearlessness across the middle and getting too many concussions b/c of it.

I wouldn't have been upset if Walker went in first but it's not crazy to suggest toon should go in first.

Congrats about most agreeing w/ you but that means nothing. By the way, you very well could be correct in this case. I'm just making a case for why Toon could deserve to go in ahead of him.

I saw Wesley drop too many critical passes throughout his career. His yds per and TDs are excellent but again he was a boom or bust guy, not consistent enough to be great. Toon was great for a brief stretch before the concussions.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

You're right, junc.

Just don't turn this thread into a 20 page "junc thinks he's right" thread. You need to adopt the words "agree to disagree" into your vocabulary.

15. nyjunc

What are you talking about? Let's not soil your wesley walker underoos here, this is a discussion. Stop acting like a child.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Seen every Jets WR. Toon was the best all around WR this team every had with the possible exception being Sauer Jr. Toon was a very special talent he wasn't very good he was great. Don't need stats saw it with my own eyes.

17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Toon at his height looked like he was the best WR in the sport not named Rice.

18. nyjunc

Read the posts, this is the biggest problem on here. people perceive what they want to perceive rather than actually reading. Did I say he was wrong? did I attack him? NO, as usual I was attacked in a childish manner. I don't even think he is wrong but why is it a problem to present the other side of the story here? It's not crazy to think Toon deserves it more than Walker, that doesn't mean he does. It's debateable.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm not anti Toon, just like I believe you're not anti Walker.

My POV bears out a strong case for Walker to go in before Toon.

Walker really didn't drop that many passes in the 80's....believe what you want .

Walker's lenght of service, stats warrant him before Toon.

Toon was great and might have had a better career than Walker if he didn't have jello for brains. It was terrible Toon's career was cut short, but that's football. Walker's entire career 12+ years makes the case his value was so important to the Jet's organzation for over a decade. Walker won many more games than Toon did......the most important stat.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He will eventually get in. He is deserving. Stupidity shouldn't count against him.