Jets vs Patriots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Nov 25, 2010.

1. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Pre Randy Moss Trade Example:

Moss, Welker, Tate, Hernandez line up at reciever. According to your logic, Revis makes Moss completely ineffective ---> leaves Brady with 3 recievers to throw to.

Post Randy Moss Trade Example:
    Branch, Welker, Tate, Hernandez line up at reciever. According to your logic, Revis makes Welker (or whoever) completely ineffective ---> leaves Brady with 3 recievers to throw to.

Even without Moss, the pats can still line up the same amount of recievers, and Brady will have the same amount of options. What many pats fans are arguing is that he will actually use the recievers not lined up against revis, instead of trying to exploit the Moss-Revis matchup. Nobody thinks that Revis will magically disappear.

I understand your logic to some extent, but the numbers don't add up the way you seem to think.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

short scrappy white guy who plays the game the right way >> lazy colored w/ bad attitude. See Pedroia >> Cano.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

who's the chick in your avatar?

4. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

in the first scenario, brady could throw to welker. in the 2nd scenario, he cant.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I know the Patriots fans explanation, but that does not make it a better situation to me. Its not like Brady threw to Moss non-stop with Revis on him. Also, I don't expect Brady to ignore Revis now that Moss is gone. He never has. He'll still throw at him occasionally.

6. gopats88

gopats88 Member

wow, if I were full of hilarious quips like this, I bet I could have 3000 posts in no time

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Well in your post you stated that brady will have one less option to throw to which is just not true. And, yes he did throw to moss quite a few time in some of the most crucial situations.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Don't think Grant. Think Sherman.

Rex Ryan's March to the AFCCG.

Burning down Foxboro, then Pittsburgh, and anything else that stands in his way.

9. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I think he was targeted something like 9 times for 2 catches and 2 picks. 7 incomplete passes is usually an entire game for brady, and throw in two interceptions that is a game-changing matchup.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I personally would not throw at Revis. Brady probably will though, at least a little bit. The point I made in my post is that Patriots fans are delusional by thinking losing Moss makes them so much better. You don't sound like that crazy of a Pats fan, stating stuff that makes sense. Saying he will look to other weapons more often makes sense. Doesn't mean that makes the offense that much better than Week 2, far from it. But at least that idea makes sense.

11. Hobbes3259

Yeah...Moss has been such a big contributor....:rofl2:

Moss no longer helps you win the division because of Revis, that's why he is no longer a Patriot.
    (e.g. we'll both beat the phags and the jills, so how do I come out on top head to head)

12. Hobbes3259

Duh...see above.

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I agree that he will throw in the direction of Revis, especially if he is matched up against welker who can put those quick moves on anyone. But again, there is a difference between testing the waters and forcing the issue.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Good point. It's a lot easier to throw to Deion Branch and Brandon Tate than Randy Moss.

15. Wizard Of Odds

Wizard Of Odds New Member

The Jets are 4th in the league against the run, allowing 86 yards a game. The Pats will have difficulty running against this defense, and to be honest I can't see why they would game plan that way. They are going to get scored on because their defense just isn't all that good, so they need to score when they have the opportunity, and their best chance to do that is with the pass. Having said that, the Jets are 12th against the pass while the Pats are 16th in passing yards so even passing the ball they are going to have resistance.

This is why I think the Jets win this game, because our offense matches up against the Pats defense better than the Pats offense matches up against ours. The Pats will have resistance whichever way they go, but the Jets won't meet tremendous resistance regardless of what they do.

16. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

You're right, but both picks in the week 2 game were on balls thrown to Moss. The first Brady threw too deep, and the second was just a stupid play overall and he never should have forced it. And, IMO, turnovers make all the difference when two teams are fairly even.

I understand where you're coming from, but there's some truth to the "Patriots fans explanation." Not trying to sell you any Kool-Aid here. :wink: The Patriots' offense is a lot more diverse and versatile than they were with Moss around.

17. Hobbes3259

Except....

Without Moss running down the field every play...Putting Revis on Welker...basically puts him Zone coverage while taking out your favorite option.

18. Wizard Of Odds

Wizard Of Odds New Member

Yeah but we're not fairly even... The Jets match up better against the Pats than the Pats match up against the Jets. Brady threw those picks out of frustration, because he was getting shutout in the 2nd half and had no choice.

I think it's no coincidence that Brady hasn't thrown an interception in 166 attempts or whatever, but threw two against the Jets defense. He also only had a 72 QB rating in that game. He is obviously having a hard time with the Jets, which makes sense because this team was built to neutralize bigtime passing teams like New England and Indy.

Believe me, you're going to lose this game... It doesn't necessarily mean you won't win the division, but you are going to lose this game because you just don't win any of the match ups here.

19. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

You guys laugh, but Moss just isn't the same guy anymore. I don't know why. Since his game at Indy last year in week 10 where he put up 9 catches for 179 yards and 2 tds, he has not had more than 6 catches or 100 yards in a game. That's over 19 games, he's played more than an entire seasons worth of games where his production level has gone way down. Maybe he got hurt last year after that game, maybe he's become depressed and lost interest in football, maybe his physical skills really have just fallen off a cliff, who knows. He hasn't been the same player for an entire calendar year.

Tate and Branch still probably run a slower 40 and would look less impressive in practice but Branch alone has been a more productive player this year than Moss. Tate shows flashes of brilliance with huge plays on occasion but he's still too inconsistent, but Branch is better for the offense because he fights for balls and will always run the correct route, which Moss seemingly stopped doing sometime during November last year.

If you mean 2007/2008 Randy Moss you're 100% correct, but for one reason or another that guy just isn't around anymore. He doesn't show up against good defenses, and I think we have some evidence that the guy's fragile emotional state becomes a burden for everyone as soon as he stops putting up insane numbers no matter where he is. The Pats offense is more flexible and more precise in 2010 without Moss making it harder to defend then it was in August even if it isn't quite as explosive.

20. skeleton_frames

I think this is what it comes down to for most people: mental block around the Pats losing at home against a team they already lost to once.

As an example, read Clark Judge's game preview:
    Despite the evidence to the contrary everyone finds it impossible to pick against Brady and the Pats.

Just like before week 2.