Jets vs Lions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Oct 31, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah that does suck, I hope the owner complained about that one.

2. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Washington also runs a 3-4, doesn't it? Not saying that Washington D is comparable to Jets D, just that they both us a 3-4 and that didn't seem to confuse Stafford all that much.

Cleveland Browns run the 3-4 and Stafford beat that last year too. Really the 3-4 isn't that obscure of a defense these days.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We don't even really run a 3-4. Our "base" is a 3-4 but Rex uses many different fronts and pressure packages that Washington and Cleveland couldn't dream of doing. The 3-4 may not confuse Stafford, but I'll take the chances that Rex's multiple fronts and pressure packages will.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

we need to win this game in commanding fashion...Or we will all be commit jets suicide on here

5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

A mangini 3-4 is not a rex ryan 3-4.

i think we should know that very well. not to mention mangini didn't even have control of the team at that point. they finally bought into his way the last few games of the season and this season.

neither of those teams personnel is versatile enough to execute some of the shit rex does and can do

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I expect a huge defensive game. Interceptions, sacks, the whole package.

7. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

I dunno... I mean our defense is good but I wouldn't sell the Jets offense that short.

:wink:

8. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Detroit:
    Offense: 26.1ppg - 3.6ypa rushing - 6ypa passing - 14 fumbles, 9 Ints
    Defense: 23.6ppg - 4.9ypa rushing - 7.3ypa passing - 9 forced fumbles, 8 picks

Jets:
    Offense: 22.7ppg - 4.8ypa rushing - 6.3ypa passing - 9 fumbles, 4 Ints
    Defense: 15.7ppg - 3.4ypa rushing - 6.6ypa passing - 7 forced fumbles, 5 picks

There is very little about Detroit's performance that is encouraging for them. There seems to be no reason we shouldn't be able to consistently run the ball on them.

9. MadBacker Prime

Exactly, it's a offset 3-4 mostly. When you have a OLB basically on the LOS for 75% of the game and varying where they're lined up it can be very confusing for a young QB.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

That has been the case for the past 2 games and we haven't been that successful in the run game. I'll believe it when I see it. I expect a relatively low-scoring, close game.

11. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I agree that I've thought this for a few weeks. Our commitment to the run is weak right now.

12. IATA

IATA Trolls

Teams stack the box against us now. Nobody is threatened by our airgame, nor should they be.

13. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

agreed.

denver had one of the worst ranked rushing d's and green bay was near the bototm of the league.

we ended up getting a fair amount of yards against denver but we didn't blow up on them.

and we know what happened against green bay.

however...something has to give. no way that happens 3 weeks in a row.

Don't underestimate the effect of the Dome. I think sanchez has a big game now that the element factor is gone. I might go with him over Flacco this week in fantasy (since i have ray rice and i hate double dipping QB/RB's)

14. MadBacker Prime

The Jets offense is searching for its identity right now. Since Holmes made his debut it seems like Schotty is trying to please everyone just like Braylon said.

Our team played great when we concentrated on running and utilizing Keller as our primary pass option.

Just keep it simple like weeks 2-4. Miami has a much better D then any of these teams we struggled against and Mark lit them up.

15. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I do remember some discussion about how Denver had sold out against the run by stacking the box pretty heavily. This will lead to more pass attempts. If our passing game was clicking we should be destroying teams. Our passing game didn't click in Denver so we had to fight for the win.

I wasn't counting men in the box on Sunday and haven't heard any analysis. I would imagine that that happened there as well. The problem is that I also heard how they were dropping into zones that Sanchez was having a hard time throwing into. Those two things don't mesh well unless the offense is just too predictable.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

IF we consistently run the ball. Detroit will load up in the box and dare Sanchez to beat them. Their best bet for a win is a shootout while ours is a low scoring game.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This actually made me LoL. Well played. :smile:

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Then Schotty needs to see the door so that an OC who knows what Rex wants out of his offense maintains the identity of fucking ground and pound.

You're right in what you said, but how sad is that?

How sad is it that the offense doesn't know who they are when Rex has made it clear what he wants?

I love how the only inconsistency is the coordinator from the mangini era. Not even Rex's own guy to run his offense. Its so fucking frustrating.

19. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

True, except if you watched how those numbers came to be.

So there's the thread that says the Jets have lost 2 games by a combined 10 points and fans should lay off. The Lions have lost 3 by a combined 10 points. They've had some bad luck this season with the officials, having to go against Vick instead of Kolb, early schedule, etc. They aren't the only team, but they are one of the few that rarely gets a break. They simply haven't earned one IMO.

They're getting better and if you've seen them play you'll know they aren't going to roll over for anybody this year.

The Jets should be able to gouge the Lions with their run game and Sanchez will have to make a few plays in the pass game to keep a few long drives alive. Stafford is bound to make a few mistakes against one of the best/most creative defenses in the NFL and Best/Smith will be hindered in the run game by a poor run OL/great run defense.

I think it stays close for a half and even into the 3rd Q, but then the Jets pull away.

But I thought the same thing against the Skins. The Jets are a better team than the Skins, but it has more to do with the Lions.

For the first time in almost a decade, I don't know what to expect from this team. And with this franchise, that's a good thing.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is the first matchup between the first two QBs taken in the 2009 Draft