Jets vs Lions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Oct 31, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Mark showed me a lot today. First 300 yard game, game tying drive with no TO's. Followed by the game winning drive.

I hope everything is okay in Cotchery land, a couple more uncharacteristic drops.

2. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I haven't read the whole of this thread so apologies if this article has already been posted. It seems that Raiola and Peterson were bitching about the Jets in response to Scott's comments, which of itself is of little more than passing amusement.

However, this bit jumped out at me:

"Despite all this, the Jets would have needed a touchdown to win -- not a field goal to tie -- if Hanson had not been injured in the third quarter when Trevor Pryce of the Jets ran into his knee on a field-goal attempt."

It's my recollection that the foul by Pryce occured on fourth down as Hanson was attempting a FG, and instead of the three pointer the Lions went on to score a TD - meaning that had Pryce not committed the foul, there wouldn't have been an extra point conversion to be attempted.

3. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Peterson should shut the hell up. LT didn't need to sell it. They'll call that dumb shit every time.

BTW, I do think LT tried selling it. He acted like he was hurt and then popped up after he saw the flag. Smart play on his part.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah I mean I thought that play was pretty cut and dry, LT was clearly out of bounds

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

heh, clearly Scott has no idea how scheduling in the NFL works

"That's trying to be a fake tough guy,'' Scott said. "If that's the case, put us all in a cage and let us go see who comes out on top. Man, I hope they schedule us next year.''

6. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

It makes no sense to say a push would have been the better play. LT had already taken two steps out of bounds.

Most likely, any contact would have been called.

7. NYJ55NJ

NYJ55NJ New Member

i was there today!

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

oh emm geee no way!!1

just kidding, did you have a good time? any lions fans harass you?

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

How was Ford Field? Looks nice on TV. A little different than other stadiums. Probably nicer than ours, especially on the inside. Is it?

10. 624

624 Banned

Watching the Edwards TD again, it almost looks like he throws the ball up before he crosses the goal line.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Good Win !!! The Lions blew it and amazingly the Jets took full advantage. Great to see the execution down the stretch. BIG WIN !!!

12. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

I thought that too when I saw it. I'm gonna go watch it again more closely.

13. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

[​IMG]

From this looks like he was across, but just barely. In real time it look like he flips the ball at the exact moment or immediately after crossing the plane. Hey whatever, it's just funny.

14. 624

624 Banned

Yeah, a little risky though...I hope someone says something to him about it because it could be costly.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

yeah i thought he hadnt scored yet when he flipped it live. But hey its not like there was anyone within 20 yards of him, so he would have had a chance to recover it if the refs ruled it live.

16. NYJ55NJ

NYJ55NJ New Member

yes...
    I was wearing my Pennington jersey and some drunk ass behind me kept giving me shit
    this guy was an adult wearing braces

so at the end I just said to him... "Lions suck... you're an adult.. and you wear braces.."

17. NYJ55NJ

NYJ55NJ New Member

meant to quote the previous message... my bad

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Ignore. Just seen the Gholston thread.

#478 ConcordeChops, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  19. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Ouch what a painful loss. Yeah know, I have my hopes up going in, but I really didn't think the Lions had the talent to stand with the Jets. But when we were up by ten late int he game... This is why is sucks to be a Lions fan. They should just promise, but then they just fall apart in the end.

Kudos to the Jets, they didn't give up and pushed forward and got the win. I just sucks as a Lions fan.

Now, I certain feel like there was some bad calls. At least twice it looked like Revis was making significant contact BEFORE Calvin Johnson caught the ball. But at the same time I think there were a few times where a Lions player may have made contact a bit early. I really don't think there where a lot of bad calls one way or the other, so I can't blame officiating too much.

I think the Lions did a lot of things right, but they also made some real big mistakes:
    • Should've gone for two on the TD after Hanson got hurt. It was the wrong time to have Suh try a kick in a live game. All the momentum was going the Lions way. A two pointer would've meant even more.
    • We went into the stupid "prevent" defense too early. We play not to lose instead of trying to win.
    • The Peterson hit on LT... just a bone headed play. Yeah, it was sorta close and yeah LT did try to sorta sell it as a bigger hit than it was. But the guy was CLEARLY out of bounds when the hit came and it just was the absolute WRONG time to do that. This is been very typical of the Lions. Shooting themselves in the foot this year.
    • The pass from Stanton at the end of our last drive. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 15 seconds here is a LIFE time. If you're going to play prevent defense, you NEED to take that time off the clock. No excuse for that.

Now, having pointed out the Lions mistakes, I would be quite remiss if I tried to make it seem that the Lions gave the game away to an inferior team. The Jets did a number of things right:
    • Revis even if he "cheated" a bit certainly did shut down CJ. (I will counter this by pointing out that the Lions now have more than just CJ as a receiving threat and were still able to put 20 points, which is a lot by Jets Defense Standards).
    • Your OL such down our DL. As dominating as our DL was last week, this week they were not nearly the factor that they were.
    • Sanchez vs. Stafford... so far it's all Sanchez as Stafford comes up lame again. It appears to be that he just re-injured the same shoulder and from what I've read so far this isn't uncommon with a shoulder separation. Still, can't say as I'm encouraged about Stafford's ability to stay on the field. Early talk among fans is that we better be looking for a QB in the mid rounds of the draft. :(
    • The Lions (lack of a) running game: Okay, we got shut down, but don't pat yourselves on the back too much. The Lions running back has stunk for a while now.

Finally comment about the "chippiness" of the game. I don't think you can really say that one team or the other was worse at bad stuff. Yeah, the Lions has some late hits, but the Jets did a few bad things too, like the Stafford hit out of bounds or the guy who tried to rip Peterman's helmet off when he pushed the pile at the end of the one run. It's just two teams that are frustrated... the Jets coming off a bad loss when then down to an inferior team for much of the game. The Lions being "almost" there, but just can't get over the last hurdle game after game after game. It was just two teams with a lot of emotion and it spilled off onto the field.

Quick question... anyone have a Bills message board they could recommend? This is going to be a real interesting game for the Lions next week. Perhaps Bills best chance at a win and the Lions best chance at a road win in like... forever!

Thanks for hosting a suffering Lions fan, and thanks for those who visited MotownSports.

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I have ADD and that's a long post. lol

I am shocked how well the Lions played, I know all the talk about them being a new team has been swirling around this year but I never paid too much attention.

Obviously have a great offense, we are probably the only team in the NFL that could neutralize a receiver of that SIZE and talent. lol

Best is a fantastic young back with great hands, I didn't realize that he was a great pass catcher going into yesterdays game.

Once you fill some Oline spots and some talent in the secondary you will have a great team. With a back like that if the Lions could develop their oline to: 1. Help Stafford (he'd concern me if I were a Lions fan) 2. Help Best to really become a feature back in the NFL. The Lions are currently 30th in rushing yards, which is a shame with such a great back, It will also help your already talented receiving corps.

How do you feel about your coaches? Pretty dumb call by Schwartz I'd say, are those typical calls for him?

I'm actually looking forward to your matchup with the Pats on Thanksgiving now, hopefully Stafford is healthy, because NE will not be able to stop your passing attack.