Jets vs Lions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Oct 31, 2010.

1. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

They haven't won anything in over five decades.

The Jets haven't won anything in over four decades.

Neither screams winning culture to me.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

we're a lot closer to a championship run....then you guys could ever dream to be....and you can thank your buddy, Cat-Poop Millen , for that.

Rex destroyed the SOJ mentality....

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

yeah, lets just skip over playoff victories and conference championship games.

that's not "anything".

since the last times the lions even *made* the playoffs, the jets have been to 2 AFC championship games

#303 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the word "playoffs" isn't even in your vocabulary.....you should probably cease pointing any fingers of futility at us.

5. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

Nobody is saying that the Jets aren't upset that they lost. Every team is upset when they lose. Especially at home; especially a shutout.

I'm just saying that people talking about them being "angry and motivated" - as if the loss will affect their play this week - is foolish.

As I said, they aren't going to play hard because they lost to the Packers. They're going to play hard because the're trying to win the division and get to the playoffs.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that's the dumbest thing i've read on here today.

7. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

The Jets are building to it, but if they don't win the SB in the next few years I doubt many fans would view it as a success.

You have to win.

8. jets_fan_in_fishtown

i agree 100%.

but to compare the two franchises is ridiculous. especially over the past 15 years or so.

you guys have been the clippers of the NFL. i like the lions, i really do, and i've always rooted for them since they sucked so much for so long....but you guys are running into a buzzsaw this week.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

This.

there's a guy I work with who's a diehard Lions fan....he's pretty delusional about this weekend too....I always compare his franchise to a CFL franchise......he doesn't like that too much. :)

10. jets_fan_in_fishtown

eh, i don't like to rub it in their face except this week when they're a little more confident than they should be. as a knicks, jets, mets and islanders fan....i sympathize deeply with suffering fan bases.

but some of the comments from the lions, the detroit press and the fans obviously shows they've been drinking the koolaid just because they've already matched their win total for the last 2 seasons.

i count the bears game as a win..but victories against the bears, skins and rams just shows they have the ability to beat the middle of the road teams.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

oh no....i've worked with this guy for the last 4 years.....I actually called their 0-16 season during TC that year.....he didn't believe me....and wanted to cut his wrists after he found out I was right.

These are the memories I cherish.

12. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

In fact, I can! It was the magical sports season of 1935-36... something that hasn't been duplicated before or since.
    • 1935: Joe Louis, a Detroit native, bursts on the scene as a world premiere heavy weight boxer.
    • October 1935: The Detroit Tigers win their first baseball World Series
    • December 1935: The Detroit Lions win their first NFL Championship
    • April, 1936: The Detroit RedWings win their first Stanley Cup
    • April 18, 1936: Detroit, the City of Champions, celebrates it's first Champions Day.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

no wonder they called it the Great Depression

14. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

In what way? Do you actually believe that the Jets will be any *more* motivated to win than they would have been if they had won last week? They get 16 regular season games and they want to win them all, whether they won by 3 or lost by 30 the previous week.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i believe they'll be extra motivated to lay a beatdown......football players are prideful mammals. Especially when there's a winning mentality in the locker room....once again, something you wouldn't understand from a Lion's POV.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Wow. Jets fans all smug with the "culture of winning" talk. I say the millenium has come!

17. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

This is just an arrogant statement. To think that a Lions' fan wouldn't know something about being hungry for wins is he dumbest thing *I've* read today. Yes, football players are pridefall. Again, if you think that at any point on Sunday during the game that any single member of the Jets is thinking about the Green Bay game I believe you'd be mistaken.

18. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

I hope you know that I've been joking in many of my comments here... especially lately in this thread.

However, I do want to address this point. Please bear in mind that what you see as being to "uppity" isn't really. Yeah, deep down we hope and pray that the Lions win, but I think most will realistically tell you that the Jets are a much better team right now. This excitement you read/hear from Lions fans is that feeling that maybe, finally, hopefully we're on the right track. That thrilled giddy school girl quality you see Lions fans figuring we've got a punchers chance against the Jets, rather than a Division-3 highschool football teams chance.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I would think Lions fans know more about heartache and suicide than being hungry for wins....just sayin'.....arrogant or not....it is what it is.

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

If I were a Lions fan I'd focus on becoming a draft expert, especially examining top 5 pick talent.