Jets vs Lions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IATA, Oct 31, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Question for the Lions fans - have any teams been able to effectively remove CJ from the game yet? If so, how did they respond?

I feel like we have Revis Island back and CJ will be taking a vacation there on Sunday.

2. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Actually, we did...

6 sacks against 'Skins
    4 sacks against Bears

You are right we're still getting more than 2 per game on the other games.
    This.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

poor guy.

I'll reiterate what i said in another thread.....unless Barry Sanders shows up....I expect the Jets to slap the taste out of the Lions' mouths. The worst thing that could've happened to the Lions was Green Bay shutting out the Jets last week....I'm sure the Jets will play angry and run up the score.

Rex doesn't like 2 things:
    1) his dinner arriving late
    2) being shutout in a game

4. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Bad line and unlucky. If you look at the Peppers hit from this year he blew past Backus and was on Stafford in no time. Worse, Peppers reached around to try and knock loose the ball from Stafford (successfully) as he was bringing him down. This pinned Stafford's right arm against his body all the way to the ground and the full force of Stafford plus some of Pepper's weight landed right on that shoulder.

Bad line + unlucky way to fall = separated shoulder on most QBs in my opinion.

The shoulder issue last year wasn't really a bad line... it was a hail Mary type of play and Stafford scrambled around a bit to buy time, got into position and set his feet and threw a good pass, but payed for it with a huge hit.

5. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

@ WhiteShoeWillis: The Rams did a pretty good job against CJ. Other than that, he does get shut down once in a while but that's generally only when a team decides to slide an LB over for most of the game (making it essentially TRIPLE coverage). If he's one-on-one or even dealing with a pesky second defender he usually does okay.

To give you an example, the last time a team tried to go one-on-one with CJ was the first Bears game in 2009. He had something like 9 catches and 130 yards (and a robbed TD catch thank you AGAIN refs) by halftime. The Bears did not continue this strategy for the second half.

As for how the Lions respond to this someone already pointed out that the Rams pretty much took him out of the game and we still scored 44 points. That is not necessarily the standard though. We have played teams that took CJ away and blew us out by 30.

6. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

Okay I'm just posting so I have 10 posts and can quote people. Silly board with your silly rules :)

7. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Well, it's just one example, but the Rams held CJ to just 4 for 54, and the Lions put up 44 points!

Frankly, CJ's numbers have NOT been that huge this year. They are heavily inflated because in a few games we've been behind late and teams have played "prevent" on us which has opened CJ up considerably and he gets a lot of yards late in those games while virtually nothing earlier.

In my opinion this is because Hill doesn't have the same comfort level with CJ that Stafford does. CJ is one of those guys who can be open even when he's not. Throw it where only he can get it and he'll jump for it. Stafford is more comfortable tossing it up and letting CJ make a play for it while Hill would just check down to a TE or RB.

Against Washington CJ was getting the ball early and often. I expect to see a number of these "jump ball" type passes to CJ. It will be a fun game to see Revis against CJ.

8. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Before people start acting like megatron is unstoppable (I think he's Awesome btw). Look at his game by game numbers.

He's only had 2 100+ receiving yard games. He's been held to 4 recs and 50 some yards a few times. So he can ve taken out of the equation. He's blown up two out of the last 3 gme

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis - I like that. Well it's not going to be triple coverage on Revis Island, it will be one man and there will be no 9 receptions for 100+ yards in a half.

I am more interested in how there offense moved the ball, but if there were 3 guys on CJ I guess that explains pretty much everything.

10. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Okay guys... you now have three Lions fans posting here regularly. Share the love... please stop on by over on MotownSports.com and give us Lions fans your thoughts/feelings on the Jets. The nice thing is that it's a Full sports board so we've got forums for talking about when your teams lose to the RedWings, or when your teams totally destroy the Pistons, or when the boys of summer start playing again too. :wink:

#230 RedRamage, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  11. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

See my post above yours. I don't think Hill is as comfortable with CJ as Stafford is.

12. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Watched the NFL Replay Lions game last night, and have to say I was pretty impressed with Megatron. Stafford too. Kid's got a really quick release. Seems to throw a little low at times, but there's definitely some zip on those balls.

I really hope Revis has the "Revis" assignment all game. This right/left garbage is not what we're about, I don't care how good Cro's playing.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

talk to nyjunc...he loves spreading his gospel to other nfl messageboards.

14. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

A mere typo, sir.

And as I said in my first post, I have been waiting for Revis vs. CJ since about four seconds after the schedules were announced. I *want* Rex to put him out there alone just to see what happens.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Three defenders on CJ easily explains other people being open to make (or blow) plays.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

prediction: the Jets continue their swoon, horrible playcalling, turnovers and stupid penalties abound as the Jets lose badly to the Lions and this place goes absolutely bezerk w/calls to fire Schotty.

Hopefully me putting 50 on the lions and predicting a disaster is enough to get the Jets a W.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Whatchu talkin about WhiteShoeWillis

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think that's what we're gonna see. I have a question about CJ, I've barely seen him play aside from circus catch highlights...is he more Randy Moss (big, fast, does a great job getting open deep) or Brandon Marshall (catches short/medium passes and turns them into big gains by breaking tackles)?

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Please don't call me sir, I prefer something more along the lines of prick or asshole.

I'm sure you will see it Sunday.

19. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

CJ is a Big, Fact, and very athletic. He does not, however, seem to do a good job of getting open. It's rare that he's "wide open" for easy passes. This may be due to the fact that the Lions have rarely had a serious threat other than CJ and teams double (and even triple) team he regularly. He does a very good job of going over the middle, though this does expose him to big hits and he's taken more than a few. He can break a tackle (see his touchdown against Washington where he was stopped at the 5, and then dragged the CB until he was close enough to the Endzone to layout for the TD) but he's not always good about staying on his hit after a big hit.

20. jthom19802

jthom19802 New Member

To be honest it's both. He has a very long stride so if the safety on his side doesn't roll his way he can get plenty of separation and be 50 yards downfield before you know it.

But he does the intermediate stuff too and while he goes down easy sometimes, if he gets momentum going he can be unreal (see: dragging DeAngelo Hall into the end zone last week).

One thing that you'll probably find surprising if you don't watch a lot of him is that the guy can fall down and gain five yards.