Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Spladow.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The timing of this trade is so bad...I don't hate Flacco as a backup, but man...this whole situation was so poorly executed.

Why did Joe Douglas feel the need to take the unnecessary risk in not landing an established backup QB?

James Hasty likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They dont want to be embarrassed, that is all its about. They will give Mike White a shot but if he's horrible then they can lean on a Flacco to give them some non-embarrassing 27-14 type losses. They paid 6th round pick for that

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

This post clearly falls beyond the artistic boundary into the obscene. Thanks for that.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

When the time comes can you guys please tell me who in the 6th round you would have picked? This will also look good on your resumes.

KingRoach likes this.
  6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Joe D is still very chummy with the eagles staff and front office, so this is just a gesture of good will by our star studded GM. I’d rather have him building and maintaining these relationships then have a shot at a starting player in the draft. Some things are bigger than football.

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If Flacco plays I believe it will be a 5th…but regardless, it’s another lottery ticket we can use on a player or can be used to move up in the draft.

It’s just not smart business to give away a pick here, when you could have signed a cheap vet before the season for no draft compensation.

I also question how much better Flacco is at this point compared to White or Johnson. Like they can hold the fort until Wilson is back in a few weeks.

REVISion, James Hasty and IDFjet like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I LOVE it!!!!

Borat and barfolomew like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I disagree. It's easy to say that with hindsight. If they had kept Flacco or signed another vet, then they would have had to keep 3 QBs on the active roster and have one less position player or have one less on the PS. I think that JD would have signed a vet QB, but Saleh didn't want one, so any knocks go against Saleh, not JD.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think the above is correct. I don't buy that ownership forced JD's hand or that Flacco is here to be a back up to White. JD is very stingy with his draft picks, and he will not be giving one away for a third stringer rental. I really feel JD wanted to develop Morgan or White and thought one of them will emerge as a good back-up for years to come. I was hoping for that too. The problem is that he was wrong and doesn't feel now that White is a good back-up. That admission costs a 6th round pick, plus we lost 4th round selection Morgan, who was even worse than White, in the process.

JD took a gamble to develop a long term back-up, it didn't work, and he paid a price of a 6th round pick for it. As a contributing factor, though not a main one, we are getting experience and a credible voice in the QB room, which we unfortunately lost with Knapp's passing. Flacco after all was a true FQB and a SB MVP. With that said, if JD felt White was a good back-up, he would never make this trade.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I just don’t like giving up a draft pick for a 2-4 week player that probably won’t help us much in an already lost season where it’s probably better off to lose games, barring a miracle

I would understand the move more if Wilson were out for the year, but it’s like why even have Mike White as a backup if you can’t let him play a couple games at most?

If Flacco ends up airing it out to Mims again all bets are off and I’ll approve of this move lol

12. NCJetsfan

I understand not liking the move. I'd rather not have to give up draft capital, but believe that JD hates having to do that much more than any of us do. I believe that he would only do it if he felt it was absolutely necessary. As Borat points out in post #310, this could help LaFleur with the offense since Flacco has so much experience, and it could also help get Mims on the field. If that's what it takes to help LaFleur learn and get Mims on the field, it's well worth the 6th or even a 5th round pick imo.

Borat and King Koopa like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think what's more bothersome than the compensation is just the fact that this is clearly a panic move to save face after the embarrassment Sunday. We shouldn't be giving up any draft capital to save our idiot coaches embarrassment for their own ineptitude. Of course a 6th rounder likely amounts to nothing anyway but it's the principle.

You trolling? I'd prefer our GM not do charity work for other franchises on the side but that's just me.

ouchy and Red Menace like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

It's JD's job to work with and help the CS. In the end, I don't see it as a big deal. Flacco could help advise LaFleur since he has a lot more experience, could help Zach, and definitely could help get Mims onto the field more. If so, then it would be well worth the cost of even a 5th round pick.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes I do. JD took a chance to develop a solid back-up for years to come in Morgan and White, and turned out to be wrong as both failed. Morgan, a 4th round pick, was beat out by White, who apparently wasn't good enough in JD's eyes, making us give up a 6th round pick. Now, that trade alone, stemming from the fact JD was wrong before about White/Morgan, lost us an asset compared to getting a vet in offseason, no doubt about it. However, if you look at overall JD's trades, even in the past 2 months, we got a 4th for Herndon and 6th, spent 6th for Flacco. Yes, JD lost some, made an error in evaluation of White/Morgan, costing us some capital, but he surely won more. So, in aggregate, he is still well ahead even in the last 2 months! And I am not even counting earlier Sam's trade, where he fleeced Panthers, who just benched Sam.

Where I was surprised is that you called him a moron for not having a vet, citing Zach will be out. Then he gets a vet, and you are berating him even more. Then you say you wanted someone who knows the system, not Flacco, even though Flacco played in this system in Denver, and that's exactly why JD got him. So to me it seems like no matter what JD did, you still insult him. To me, if we get a veteran back-up, Flacco is as good as it gets without breaking a bank for guys like Fitzpatrick and Tyrod, who cost 10+ mil. Knows the system from Denver days, and a credible voice in QB room. Someone who can actually teach Zach and has credentials of being a real FQB, rookie of the year, SB champ, MVP, etc. And he can still play - was much better than Sam last year, 80+ passer rating, did well in pre-season. The only negative really is that JD was wrong about Morgan/White and gave up a 6th rounder. But like I said before, he is still well ahead on the trade count.

NCJetsfan, Red Menace and bicketybam like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's not what Flacco does. He's said it several times.

The system being the same is also a Jets PR move. Maybe it's similar but LaFleur has never coached with Kubiak, nor has Kyle Shanahan. Kubiak last coached under Kyle's dad in 2005.

If the system isn't much different from whatever Flacco remembers from two points of separation in 2014, then we truly have a moron as an offensive coordinator.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That was when he was FQB and lost the starting job to League MVP. Let's see what happens after being a back-up to Sam, and a 3d stringer to Hurts and Minshew. I bet he knows his role at this point if he wants to keep playing in this League.

Of course it is not exactly the same, it is a variation of the similar concepts. The point is that him being exposed to these concepts before should speed up the learning curve vs someone who has never learned similar system before. Hence Flacco should be able to pick up Mike's variation relatively quickly.

#317 Borat, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Robbie has more drops than anyone in the league and a worse PFF rating than rookie E. Moore (and 113 other WR).

Maybe “admitting” a mistake in not signing Robbie was just JD placating fickle fans.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm talking about last year when Anderson excelled.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Is Flacco starting Sunday?