Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I would agree that his odds of winning any games are against him, but I also think they are still not as great as Wilson's are at the moment. The 0-4 last year was with last year's roster which didn't have much talent. This year's team has some talent and with solid QB play might surprise. And if the object of bringing Flacco here is to go 0-4 then why are the Jets parting with a draft choice to bring him here when we have 2 backups perfectly capable of going 0-4?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's truly ridiculous. I get frustrated on Sundays and say stuff that I regret later, but the comments and attitudes of some here are nothing short of ridiculous! We definitely have some "fans" who are anything but, and for their own mental health (and for all of ours) who should either step away from the team for a while and breathe, find another team to support, or find something else to do with their time. They are obviously miserable, off the deep end, and are making this place unreadable.

#262 NCJetsfan, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Falco21 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I might kick the tires on Eric Mangini for an executive position. I wouldn't be all that interested in him for a sidelines position because he has been demonstrably unable to hold onto those.

He's a very smart guy though and he might be able to overlord the football operation - with his decisions not coming under the purview of anybody else unless the owners decided he had to go.

Rex Ryan's Jets squads had a huge underpinning from the drafts that Mangini and Tannenbaum put together.

If I was going that way I'd first do due diligence on how damaged Mangini's rep was around the NFL. Would he actually be able to make good hires below him in the coaching and personnel positions?

I'd also make the one condition of the hire be that he had to work from the executive level - it would have to be an absolute condition that he could not promote himself closer to the field than that.

RochesterJet and Red Menace like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

And where there were no OTAs, mini-camp, an abbreviated TC, and no preseason games.

Falco21 likes this.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

That's reasonable but only if Flacco is down behind White in the QB order - White can only become that long term backup if exposed to real NFL action not just putting in a good session with the scout team.

Which now also brings up the point of who is going to lose their roster spot when Zach is back?

Any of these reasons make be want to jump onto the sack JD bandwagon.

The feeling we were supposed to get is that after wasting a couple of years with Gase, JD is now the man in charge and in him we trust to bring forth the new competitive Jets. If he's being ordered to make himself look like a chump for constructing a bad QB roster by the Johnsons then he's just a yes man for them.

If he can't impress on his CS hires the need to use Mimms or having checked with them beforehand that he would be used and thus not become a tradeable asset for his accrual of draft picks then that seems like poor performance.

If gaining a couple of pointless wins here and now was important then where was teh original vet QB? why not retain Darnold as a shield? Why cheap out on FA signings? basically why did you build a roster that everyone knew was going to hav to rely on excellent health and lucky breaks to outperform last seasons total?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Agreed.

Good question.

Sorry that these would make you want to sack JD. If your boss orders you to do something you don't agree with, you have to decided if it's a hill worth dying on. You have a choice to ignore their order and risk getting fired or losing some of your authority, or doing something that is not ideal, but really won't hurt anything.

JD can impress on his CS all he wants, but he gives them the freedom to choose what they want to do. When you're working co-operatively, that's the way it has to be. You start ordering them around and make it a "I'm your boss and telling you to do this" situation, and you build resentment and can destroy the cooperative nature of your relationship. Now after seeing that LaFleur continues to resist using Mims, this could be a way of continuing to impress upon LaFleur or pushing LaFleur to have to use Mims because JD knows that LaFleur is wrong and that Mims can help this team. This could be a sort of warning, use Mims now or you won't have a job come January.

I've clearly laid out the reasons for not having a vet QB initially. No need to rehash them. Retaining Darnold would not have worked and would have been truly stupid. It could have split the team and caused a true QB controversy. They didn't build a roster that everyone knew was going to have to rely on excellent health and lucky breaks. That's your take, and a totally mistaken one imo.

#266 NCJetsfan, Oct 26, 2021
    westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe Sherwood being out for the year opens up a roster spot and White will go back to PS when and if Wilson comes back.

I will be shocked if Flacco is not on the team when Wilson comes back.

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. Morgan I wished the Jets took a chance on him. We have now drafted two QBs in the last 4-5 years, a 2nd and a 4th that have yet to appear a game. Sad and wasted picks.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I haven't read through all 14 pages at this devastatingly stupid move.

Needless to say, it is fucking scandalous that we are trading draft picks away for a player that was let go for being shite just a few short months ago.

An absolute fucking joke of a move.

Fiftynine, SOJAZ, REVISion and 5 others like this.
  10. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I think we have a whole range of emotions going on here that probably wouldn't exist if this team was 2-4 and hadn't only won 2 games last year...and for that matter been a total train wreck the past decade...and brought in what was billed to be the "anti-Gase" coach etc...But I also think we all need to be ok picking and choosing items to like or dislike without it being an indictment of throwing 100% support behind someone or taking 100% support away from someone. To use a bad analogy, our political party system seems to be "you need to believe 100% of what the GOP says to be a GOP follower" or "100% of what the Dems say to be a Dem follower"...let's not do that here.

For example, I'm still a JD believer/fan as he's done a lot of good things since he's arrived and seems to have a very good plan on how to advance this team. He's great at adding draft assets, will he be great at turning those draft assets into actually productive players, you could definitely argue he hasn't done that so well yet...zero wrong there, good debate, and as much as I like/support JD unless I'm going to stick my head in the sand I'd have to give a nod to anyone who questions JD in that regard as it matches what's happening vs. what we think will be the case in the next 2-3yrs etc...So in this instance, it seems that the original backup QB plan was both a bad one and one that needed a panic (i.e. very quick reversal if that makes everyone feel better) move to correct. If you build an emergency response plan at work that everyone agreed upon, signed off and approved, then when the emergency hits you abandoned the plan, it's clearly wasn't a very good plan from the start...What makes this worse, in my opinion - and that's honestly not worth much here, is my belief that this original plan was more inspired by Saleh and the CS. Remember JD looks as player acquisition (or lack there of) as a partnership with the HC/CS, meaning he's going to try and support the HC/CS needs, just within his evaluation system.

So Saleh, in his glory days of running the Jets (i.e. before the games were actually played), IMO was feeling great, saying lets go young, we'll grow together, all those things that work prior to a 1-5 disaster of a start and when you're not already looking at being burned at the stake...now that the pressure is on and the man clearly doesn't have any answers and all of that "lets grow together through the tough times" nonsense got him to public enemy #1 or #2 status in NY, the plan gets scrapped...It's not about trading for Flacco....It's not about giving up a draft pick...It's about what I'm seeing as a total lack of strategic thinking, lack of enterprise risk mgt., lack of believe in your own planning/prep and shows me that this NFL HC thing was maybe a bit more complicated then Saleh originally thought...This, also explains the ML hire and lack of ability to fix things...I have no idea if any of what I said is even remotely accurate but in trying to connect the dots this is how I see it...

Sill on the JD bandwagon but I'm off the Saleh bandwagon and he'll have to earn my support from now going forward

kevda5n9ne, SOJAZ, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I agree that it shouldn't be 100% or nothing, and we should feel free to criticize certain moves that we don't like, but the level of disagreement is way too high imo. It's as if many expect the GM to be perfect from the beginning and never make a mistake. Some here were ready to crucify JD the day he was hired and have criticized every single move that he has made. Those are the posters I'm referring to, not those who question or criticize moves in a rational, reasonable manner.

I mostly agree with this post. I disagree with your comment, "will he be great at turning those draft assets into actually productive players." That isn't the GM's responsibility. That is up to the CS. The GM gets input from the CS as to the type of players they want, positions they want, the GM and Scouting Dept. identify the best prospects at those positions of need and determine who would be a good fit and come up with a plan, then draft those who fit. At that point it's up to the CS to develop and coach up those players, and put them into a position to succeed where they can be productive. I think Saleh and his CS have had mixed success here. They've had much more success on the defensive side and on STs, than they have on the offensive side.

The original backup QB plan may have been a bad plan, but maybe not. They thought they had Greg Knapp to help both LaFleur, the Jets' QB Coach, and the Jets' QBs. They couldn't help that Knapp died. By the time he died, I believe all the better veteran QBs had been signed. As another poster pointed out, a lot of NFL teams don't seem to have great backup QB plans, and many, if not most teams aren't keeping 3 QBs on the roster. I'm not sure what the plan was, as I remember reading that the Jets intended to re-sign Flacco, but he signed with the Eagles before the Jets could talk contract with him. That sounds to me like he didn't want to stay here, and after last season, who could blame him? So that left the plan either going with some other vet QB or roll with White and Morgan and trust that one of them would prove to be a viable backup QB. I agree with the bold, and think that if it were up solely to JD, that he probably would have signed a vet QB, but Saleh didn't think it was necessary. So imo why should JD take a hit or criticism for this? Why should he have forced a QB on the CS that they didn't want? If so, that would have just damaged the relationship between Saleh and JD, and Saleh may have cut that veteran anyway or not used him. I think Beathard should have been signed since he knew the system and could help the offense learn the system, but Saleh obviously didn't want him.

So you are blaming Saleh for this situation, and I agree with that. JD is just trying to support his HC and give him what he thinks he needs/wants. I'm very disappointed in Saleh, and basically in the same place as you that he needs to prove to me that he deserves to remain the HC of the Jets. His choice of Knapp and Ulbrich (and perhaps some of his other defensive coaches) seem like good choices, but his offensive coach choices seem to have been very poor, except maybe for the OL coach. IMO if Saleh doesn't fire LaFleur absent any major changes/improvement over the next 3-4 games, then Saleh shouldn't be back, either.

#271 NCJetsfan, Oct 26, 2021
    kevda5n9ne and RedRoute1 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

You're probably right.

13. NCJetsfan

The Jets were going to take a chance on Morgan. He didn't play as well as White in practice or preseason, but they still were going to sign him to their PS. He opted to sign with Carolina instead. That's not on the Jets.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

This seems like a silly waste of a pick.

IDFjet likes this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The true tragedy of this move is the total disregard for Josh Johnson's feelings..... a sad day indeed :(

CotcheryFan, cval and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. K'OB

I'd rather he got his turn before spunking a 5th on Flacco

IDFjet, ukjetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

.... and miss out on a chance to go to the playoffs?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

K'OB likes this.
  18. K'OB

I'd rather not miss out on the #1 draft pick now, this season is fucking toast, so 3, 4 or laughably 5 wins would just be an utter waste of time, doubly so if Flacco got them.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Must draft this beast.
    [​IMG]

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Don’t be silly. We can beat Jacksonville and then trade up from position #4 to #2 by using that extra draft capital we have.

K'OB likes this.