Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be wise to give up a pick for a backup to your backup for 3-4 games but we don’t ever seem to do the wise thing.

IDFjet likes this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Teams like Buffalo, KC, and Seattle need veteran backups that can step in and salvage a playoff season if their starter goes down for a period of time. A team that was expected to win 4 games, not so much. The only benefit for the Jets is if you can find a guy like McCown who mentored Darnold in his rookie year. This is just my opinion though.
    JD has been willing to own his mistakes in the past (see Robbie Anderson.) They made the move less than 24 hours ago. I wasn't expecting a TV press conference from Douglas saying he made a mistake but I'm sure if asked he will be honest about it (assuming he feels it was a mistake and not just a gamble that didn't work out.)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. bicketybam

Jesus, that's right. Well them you got me by the short hairs. I'm not sure why you would carry a guy like that on your practice squad. I'd have rather kept Morgan that this ancient journeyman.

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

No worries, I had to check to see if it was the same Josh Johnson!

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Typical TGG reaction in this thread right now.

Maybe, just maybe, Joe Douglas realized he made a mistake not bringing in a veteran QB and decided to bring one in that he already knew and is familiar with the verbiage they use. It's not like JD gave up a 2nd or 3rd round pick or multiple day 3 picks. He gave up a conditional 6th rounder.

Yes, JD should have brought in a veteran in TC, but he didn't. He most likely just realized his mistake and decided to fix it.

KY Jets Fan and bicketybam like this.
  6. bicketybam

How many picks do we have in the next draft? Is a 6th rounder going to make or break next year's roster? There are picks and there are picks. It's not like they traded a 3rd for him.

7. BroadwayAaron

He played one year under an OC that’s from the Shanahan tree so the concepts snd terminology might be the same… and had a terrible year doing it.

He played one year for Kubiak who runs a similar offense back in 2014. I’m sure it’s just like riding a bike.

8. BroadwayAaron

It’s not the actual pick they gave up, it’s the level of incompetence shown. Like I said they passed on backups all spring and summer to roll with a guy they deemed not good enough to start a few games when the starter went down. Hopefully they let White still start.

9. bicketybam

His passer rating in 2019 was highest since 2014 and one point better than his career passer rating. Just saying.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. bicketybam

You can't get every single thing right as a GM. If you want to hammer the GM and the organization over this then more power to you. I'd like to focus on the two firsts, the second and the fourth they got for Adams and Darnold. Those two trades were of epic proportions and will have 1000 times more impact on the future of the franchise than losing a 6th round pick.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s not fair to judge a SB winning veteran QB to a guy who’s played 6 games. I’m sure you know more about your employment as opposed to a person who’s been doing it for 5 days.

This is not an indictment on Wilson, it’s a business decision that was made with the goal of trying to win football games.

Don’t forget, Flacco is coming in and playing behind the same crappy line that Wilson was behind.

I just want to see the Jets sustain a couple of offensive drives, is that too much to ask for?

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Huh? According to football reference he had the 4th worst QBR of his career. He had 6 TD and 5 INT in 8 games. That’s bad.

13. bicketybam

Passer rating.

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Actually it's a conditional 5th rounder--if the condition is met it's a 5th round pick--its a 6th no matter what.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Jets fans are less upset with adding a backup quarterback via trade in principal than they are at the fact that we traded for a guy that was literally on the roster last year and we decided not to keep. It just compounds the ineptitude of not having an NFL player on the roster at QB to start training camp.

And for whatever it's worth, it's such a nonsensical PR move by the Jets to push out there that Flacco knows the system. He last played for Kubiak in 2014 who last coached with Mike Shanahan in 2005. Kubiak has never coached with Kyle Shanahan or LaFleur. So it might have some similar concepts I guess but it's not like the offense hasn't evolved over the past decade with different verbiage.

Fiftynine and Royal Tee like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

I mean fuck both ratings and look at the actual stats that aren’t based on a formula. 6 TD, 5 INT, a high completion percentage because he was averaging one of his lowest YPA in his career. He did anything but excel in that offense.

17. bicketybam

I agree. Fuck the ratings. Flacco is, and always has been, a mediocre QB. He's Sam Darnold's ceiling.

18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

This was an eye opening move and IMO a “it’s too late” move. I rather chance with Mike white and go with the growing pains with him hoping to develop him into a back up QB for ZW in the next couple of years. I am disappointed that we may not see yet another QB not taking a single snap in a NFL game. I really wish to see Frank Morgan.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

So this is basically the great JD admitting he fukt up not once, not twice BUT AT LEAST 5 TIMES.....lol
    -Drafted James Morgan
    -Signed Flacco
    -Traded Darnold
    -Kept White
    -Waived Morgan
    -Dropped Flacco
    -Traded for Flacco
    All while allowing the QB's to get murdered.
    This my friends is what a YES MAN looks like.....

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It is quite remarkable that a trade of a 6th round pick for a veteran backup QB is suddenly the game changer and last straw for JD. Meanwhile all the really good things he's done in trades and picks suddenly gets swept under the rug because he signed Joe Flacco.

Again, everything this fan base does is so predictable. I distinctly remember so many people calling for JDs head when Jamal Adams was reported on the trade block. He gets a kings ransom in return and suddenly he did the right thing. Sam Darnold is traded and half this fan base again called for JDs head. Sam Darnold was just benched and looks like dogshit in Carolina.

I believe we finally have a GM who knows what he's doing. I'm sorry if you think a Joe Flacco trade is the end for you lol