Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

See this is where you lose me and this fan base proves they have lost their shit.

"this is one of the dumbest things I've seen this team do"

Really?? Lol

So trading for a stop gap veteran QB who knows the system and the verbiage involved with it and giving away a 6th round draft pick while our starting QB is hurt is on the same level as drafting Vernon Gholston, trading Leon Washington, giving away two picks for Litto Shephard, signing Trumane Johnson, our entire 2015 and 2016 draft, etc.

You truly believe that this trade ranks up there?

This fanbase is so far gone

Attackett and bicketybam like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

When were you ever on the fence? :D

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Jets fans: also been right in their criticism most of the team over the past ten years as we have the worst record in football over that time.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He's saying it's the dumbest thing because it is contrary to the path that we were on the whole season--we obviously planned not to have a vet qb backup and as soon as Zach goes down we give up draft capital instead of using our backup or the guy we've been carrying on the PS.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  5. Falco21

Back to my point

So...that qualifies it as being one of the dumbest moves this franchise has ever completed? Lol

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion just like everyone. Your examples involve mis-perceiving talent in transactions. This is not an example of that.

IMO this move is more similar to Idzik picking up Percy Harvin for $10mm after the season was already over. There was simply no good reason and we could have carried over that asset.

Maybe we expected that this regime had a plan they were following and this move looks like they forgot their plan.

7. Falco21

I know I'm entitled to my own opinion, as is everyone.

The opinion that this is one of the dumbest franchise moves in history is shit, in my opinion of course.

I'm sure 2-3 years from now, everyone will still talk about how terrible of a move this was. You know, because it was one of the worst of all time

KingRoach likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That option disappeared two months ago when we passed on every option for Mike White… who now apparently isn’t good enough to start a few games so we traded a pick for a bad QB that doesn’t know the system that isn’t good enough to start a few games either. Do you not see the issue?

9. Falco21

Who said he doesn't know the system?

In fact, everyone is coming out reporting that was the exact reason why they traded for him, because he knows the system and verbiage associated with it.

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It’s a minor move but makes it look like the Jets brass have no real plan which is the concerning part. I don’t think most people give a shit that we got back Flacco, it’s just the manner or how this all happened.

Everyone in the world said for the Jets to get an experienced backup…Jets do it their own way, then the first sign of a little trouble they give away a pick for one anyway?

The move itself is whatever but do you not see any issue whatsoever with how we got there?

stinkyB and ukjetsfan like this.
  11. bicketybam

Are we 100% sure this is an indictment of White and not an indictment of Johnson? Maybe they have zero confidence in Johnson as the backup in case White gets hurt and we all know that at any given moment defenders can come running free at the QB, completely unblocked. Maybe White is hurting from the NE game?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, it is one of the dumbest things I've seen because it was so ridiculously predictable. And it's not so much the bringing in of Flacco (although he's shit) as it is the admission that we should have had a veteran on the roster in the first place. It's not only dumb, it's admitting that they were dumb.

Your comparisons, as others have pointed out, don't come close. Gholston was widely regarded as a promising pass-rusher. Washington, love him though I did, was coming off a serious injury and didn't total 500 rushing yards COMBINED over the five seasons after he left the Jets. I could go through your other arguments but they are just as weak and nothing compensates for the fact that so many people saw this coming. Except those running the team.

It's dumb, any way you want to look at it.

stinkyB and IDFjet like this.
  13. Falco21

I see an issue with not signing a veteran QB from the beginning, yes. It was a stupid move on JD and something I would not have done.

Having said that, no they did not foresee their starting QB go down for 2-4 weeks. They signed a veteran backup who has played in a similar offense and knows the verbiage. He will require much less of a learning curve and make as a stop gap until Wilson is healthy.

Do I think we should have had a guy on the roster already? Yeah, absolutely. Do I think signing Flacco is one of the dumbest moves of Jets history, absolutely fuckin not.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

That's a reasonable point, but if the Jets have zero confidence in Johnson even being a backup, why the hell is he on the practice squad?

westiedog1, IDFjet and King Koopa like this.
  15. bicketybam

There are several people here, myself included, that didn't feel the pressing need to sign an experienced backup before the season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

I really don't understand how anyone wouldn't see the need for an experienced backup when you're starting a rookie.

17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I didn’t either but the Jets should own it….Not signing a backup then giving away a draft pick because Wilson is missing a couple games doesn’t make sense

18. ukjetsfan

We can agree on that, at least :)

19. bicketybam

To develop him for future use? That would be my guess. If he was ready for the NFL he'd be the backup instead of White. That's my take.

20. ukjetsfan

Josh Johnson is 35 years old.

All Gas No Shake and IDFjet like this.