Jets trading for Haason Reddick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 29, 2024.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Nothing would surprise me with this team.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Here's what a good GM would have accomplished:

Tag Huff, then trade him straight up for Reddick and save the draft pick. This would require foresight regarding Philly's interest--it doesn't seem so far-fetched to be able to know that if your whole business is GM of an NFL team with all these scouts, research dept, etc.

Does it take a genius to realize that a team who hasnt made the playoffs in 13 years should be acquiring draft picks instead of trading them?

#162 IDFjet, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not sure about that. I can’t say where the Eagles lined him up, but he pretty much always lined up at edge for the Panthers.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/3/17/22983390/eagles-all-22-film-review-haason-reddick-splash-player-highlights-position-sam-linebacker-rusher

This doesn’t have the percentages but says he rushed the passer on 80% of his snaps. I don’t think he was off the ball a lot in the 3-3-5 alignment they talk about.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/haason-reddick-pass-rush-eagles-super-bowl-57/

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

With no evidence of player dissatisfaction, when a team lets a player walk after contract completion, which is more likely--the FO doesn't value him for a new contract or the player turned down an offer from the team that he now accepts with a new team?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no doubt about rushing the passer I would tell him to do it 99% of the time myself

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I get why the Jets didn’t tag Huff. We had limited cap space and tagging him immediately drains cap space for free agency until you find a suitor for a trade. What if that never comes? You have to release him from the tag and you’re behind everyone in free agency.

But I thought the Jets letting Huff walk was a sign that maybe they were going to seek out some longer term solutions on offense for defense. Instead, they patch fixed three offensive spots for one year deals on 3 guys that are 30, 33 and 33 and two of which have pretty big injury concerns.

And then they went out trying to find another defensive end desperately.

I would’ve been a bit more interested in trying to find a younger big time guard/center, and maybe pursuing some of the younger receiver options in free agency before I spent all my time trying to find another edge rusher. It’s just so unrealistic from a team building sense to require 3-4 interchangeable edge rushers at all time.

It reminds me of when everyone said Bowles needs good corners to run his defense. Every defense needs good corners lol.

7. BrowningNagle

Well the Eagles would end up paying more for Huff and getting less in return for Reddick so I imagine they would have something to say about that plan lol

IDFjet and NOVAJET like this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If that’s the case then Jets will be resting their defensive ends a lot more this year, Reddick rushed a lot from strong side as an Eagle.

Maybe Saleh will rush him from weak side and strong side depending on what DE is on bench.

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

What is the Jets offered him the same and he did no?

What if they Jets offered him more and he said no?

What if the Jets tried to make an offer and the agent didn't respond because Huff told him he wanted to play elsewhere?

What if he got the offer and signed it before the Jets had an opportunity to match or make it higher?

What you are saying is 1000 percent speculative. I don't care, believe what you want. But it has no more validity than any other take on the situation. You have no idea and I'm sure more will come out eventually to make it clearer.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I wouldn’t extend him cause he might lose his edge.

Hungry for a new deal he might put up big sack numbers this year. if that prices us out and hes gone in 25, at least we got a big year outta him

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You're simply incorrect about dismissing the FO conclusion but I agree with your right to think that way. Carry on Jets fan.

JackBower likes this.
  12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Lol this is ridiculous and also completely speculative. Why would the eagles do this? They could just go after another rusher or keep Reddick, then the Jets are stuck with a guy they tagged because they tried to play chess.

NOVAJET likes this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Love this statement. Speculation = facts in the eyes of many posters on here when the fact is they don't know shit that goes on in the FO. I just look at the results not the process and the results this off season have been pretty f'n good.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

At the price of a #2 pick (assming since you said a big year)? Ya--if we make it to the AFC championship game due to his play it'll be worth it.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t think the Jets made a big effort to retain Huff. At least nothing that Huff and his camp took seriously.

I don’t think he would’ve left within a couple days of free agency without any reports of matching the offer or any reports of real discussions between the two sides.

Just speculation as we all are doing but that’s the feeling I get.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--this is speculative

BrowningNagle likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

After digesting this for a day, this is where I'm at FWIW.

If there wasn't some good reason that Douglas couldn't have retained Huff, this was a big mistake regardless of how Riddick turns out. Best case is that Riddick plays up to his historical level this year, but then he has to get a new contract. Even if the Jets decide not to resign him they'd still owe a 2026 2nd/3rd to the Eagles. If the Jets do resign him after another great year on his part, it's likely going to cost a lot more than the $17M that Huff would've presumably gotten from them...maybe even upwards of $20M/year...for a player who would be on the wrong side of 30.

I like Riddick. I had hoped the Jets would've drafted him. I'm not surprised at how well he's played. So I'm not against acquiring him, I'm just really questioning Douglas as a GM and what is plan is. Also, I'm frustrated that the same level of investment isn't poured into the offense. And part of that effort includes being aggressive and creative on finding similar pieces for the offense as they always seem to find for the defense. Their priority still seems to be on defense in a league that favors offense. When will this change? I'd like to know the total salary invested on defense vs. offense (minus Rodgers' salary because starting QB salaries are way out of line with all other positions). I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near equal.

In the end I'm left with the questions: Why couldn't they have retained Huff? Did he tell them flat out he wouldn't sign a new contract with them? (I'm thinking that's a big part of it)? Or did they not actually value him as an "every down" player like Riddick is? Or is Saleh going to adjust his scheme and didn't really need Huff and his skill set as much?

Whatever the answer(s) is, here's one thing I'm certain of: The Jets need to become SB-relevant this year or Douglas & Saleh have to go.

18. ColoradoContrails

Exactly! You said this much better than I did.

19. BrowningNagle

it’s what message boards are for

IDFjet likes this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I had no issue letting Huff walk. I think he’s a little overvalued by Jets fans. I also don’t have too much of an issue with trading for Reddick, especially a pick 2 years from now. What I have a problem with is doing this after having spent 1st round picks 2 years in a row when our offense is and has consistently been anemic. What kind of defensive genius needs studs at every key defensive position?