Jets trading for Haason Reddick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Saleh just said Will's gonna be a good one, but he needs more upper body strength. The same criticism he had coming out of college. Not big and bad enough to play any position other than the wide 9 and cut him loose. Saleh wants more well-rounded lineman, and he's not ready to go all in on Will just yet. 'Maybe' Will shows up 20 pounds of muscle heavier, but we'll have to wait to see. Will's first season was a lot like Huff's first 3 seasons: situational in passing downs. Saleh wants more out of Will, and he doesn't want to wait 3 years to get there.

JD tried resigning Huff last year, but not for the big dollars Huff wanted. Probably something in the 8-10mil per range, but Huff wanted double that. Douglas just said "Sometimes a player bets on himself and wins". Would JD have loved to keep Huff? Of course, but not for that much dough, and not that much dough for a kid who spent his first three seasons playing like 4 or 5 snaps a game. Huff JUST recently developed his game like Saleh wanted....good against the pass AND rush. If Huff had been as good his first 3 season as he was last year, he'd have gotten the big dollars sooner.

Reddick is a really good pass rusher. He's kinda what we all hoped Lawson was gonna become after JD traded for him. I wish JD extended Reddick's contract, and it still might happen. But if he's one and done, we'll get a comp pick that will off-set the pick we have to send Philly in 2026.

But for now, Joe Douglas has done a good job of giving Saleh proven pass-rushers, and Will's development could be a cherry on the cake.

Be happy folks!

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im asking you a question about Reddick. That’s it.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Jets are in a "win now" mode?

Good... so am I.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do I think this is a good move? No.

The reactions to all of the moves have been relatively the same.

My reactions to all of the moves have been relatively the same.

You’re telling me no this one is different though. Let’s see what happens dawg.

ouchy likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

Two things concerned me about this… The 2026 3rd round pick is definitely calculated. That means there was no contract discussions had therefore the only risk that could be taken is losing that pick and picking up a worse compensatory one that same year.

also that’s an unbelievably terrible return for the Eagles. Again leads me to believe that there is no guarantee of a contract extension which means we weren’t going to give up anything of immediate value to get him here. Love the trade but if he walks after one year it’s a flop.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm shocked the response is so negative here. The only argument I can see is JD could've just resigned Huff but JD himself said he wanted to.

A 3rd rounder IN TWO YEARS?? Seriously? WHO CARES?? What's wrong with y'all??

8. BroadwayAaron

Yes I’m telling you this one is different because to no one with eyes and a TV set our Hassan Reddick and the three guys you listed even in the same hemisphere. no clue how it will actually pan out but there’s a much much higher chance this one does than all of the others you for some reason brought up.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

It’s not about the player, it’s about everything else in context.

The jets take McDonald with a top 15 pick when they didn’t need him.

then they didn’t use him.

then they didn’t trade Huff at the deadline when they could’ve gotten something, signaling to everyone they were either going to resign him or franchise him.

Then they didn’t resign Huff, and lost him for nothing. Now it’s time to finally use that top 15 pick in McDonald I guess.

now instead of using McDonald, they trade a 2/3rd round pick for another pass rusher when they could have just resigned or franchised huff.

now McDonald will be on the bench, again.

the eagles signed your pass rusher for nothing, and then made you give up a 2/3 round pick for theirs. It’s embarrassing. Reddick is a fine player, but what in the fuckedy fuck are the jets doing?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Pretty much. And we traded assets for a guy that’s 30 years old AND are extending him for god only knows what reason.

11. Jedi mind tricks

So let's just say for arguments sake McDonald was a mistake and he's a bust. You would rather the Jets waste years playing him anyway?

12. BroadwayAaron

say it with me: GMs in win now mode don’t care about the current high school senior that they just traded away. Keyboard GMs do.

JetFanInNE and SOJAZ like this.
  13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Nobody knows anything about McDonald. He has barely touched the field.

14. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

That sounds a heck of a lot better in the bubble that wants to pretend Aaron Rodgers' prospects as a 41yo QB are a lot better then reality is actually projecting them out to be right now.

For those of us living outside that bubble the real re-build/re-tool likely starts next winter. Which then hopefully puts us on pace for 2026 to be the next realistic chance we might see a more legit stars line up perfectly "GFIN" year.

I don't want to be giving up 3rd rounders in what hopefully ends up being a much better GFIN projection then this one. That is why I care.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

So that makes it a good move? Because our general
    manager who has made more poor moves than positive ones did it in “win now mode,” makes it the correct move?

The Jets have opportunities to build for now and the future because of the core of young players they have.

When they don’t “win now” next year, the franchise is going to be in a disgusting hole for a long time again. All for a fun 10-7 divisional round exit?

16. Jedi mind tricks

Agreed. But the people who know the most about him are the ones who made this trade.
    And just to be clear, I'm not saying McDonald is a bust. I just don't get the argument that it doesn't make sense to make this trade bc we drafted him.

Borat and SOJAZ like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The keyboard GMs would be preferable to Douglas.

18. BroadwayAaron

Yea the ones who would have bargain shopped at LT, RT and WR instead of going big in a win now year. The only thing that would accomplish is making even more keyboard GMs miserable a year later.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Nobody is mentioning it, so it's possible I'm wrong, but I have certainly had the impression that Reddick was one of the most vocal leaders of that Eagles D over the last several years. This might be just as important as his sack numbers.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

A 2026 3rd rounder. Maybe 2nd. Not this year. Not even the next. But three drafts from now. For a top tier player at a position that is arguably the most important besides QB for this team considering how the defense operates. There are so many legit criticisms of this move, complaining about the compensation is not one of them. Age barely cracks the top 3.

JetFanInNE, SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.