Jets trading for Haason Reddick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 29, 2024.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

19 million would not have allowed us to get the offensive help we needed. We would have had to restructure deals and would still have been tight against the cap. We couldn't afford to allocate all those funds to defense.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did I miss the news that we were unable to extend Reddick? I haven't seen anything about it but he is showing up on our cap at 1 year for 16 million.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

16 mil is a lot less than that franchise tag we would have been paying for a lot less proven player.

But you give away a 3rd rounder (possibly 2nd) for one season of play, that's retard pills.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And Philly is on the hook for 34 mil. You just proved my point. We didn't want to pay for what we consider a situational pass rusher. Philly did. It was completely JD's decision to move on.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

From previous post: "The only reason Reddick was traded was because he wanted a long-term deal with Philadelphia that paid him to be among the best at his position."

I highly doubt JD will be giving him an extension he wants now. He will be 31 in 2025 and I just don't think JD will be giving him a huge contract at this time. Maybe there will be some sort of restructure to pay him more in advance from these 15-16 mil we owe, which would lower the CAP hit. But my feeling is that it will be more of a one year rental and we go from there after seeing how our Edge group actually performs.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Nice move by JD! Bryce who?

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The staff viewed Huff as a situational pass rusher and he got paid like someone who’s going to play every down. That’s cool but not at that price. Let another team figure it out. The jets got a guy who’s proven to play every down and be effective. I’m excited about it

Brook! likes this.
  8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ok references like " I read somewhere" are a bit vague. I appreciate you saying it's just your opinion that these things happened. No one here really knows unless Huff himself or Douglas releases contract offer information. It's fair to say perhaps they did not offer as much as Philly and also perhaps they discussed a transitional tag offer but opted not to for some reason? Who knows.

NCJetsfan, stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with the last sentence.

I loved the fact that he was successful with the Jets and hoped he would want to continue to build on that. Fans would have loved him. But he either wanted more money or more snaps. Might have had bag agents too

10. abyzmul

Or it could just be that the Jets GM is out of his depth, and/or that the Jets aren't the destination team that they have been desperately trying to convince everybody they are since the moment they traded for Rodgers. They said they weren't wanting to make much for coaching changes and nearly a third of the offensive staff immediately jumped ship. That's a bit of a red flag in my world.

There's a lot of things it could have been but now we get to see what kind of player Huff is with a different program and know whether it was a mistake or not. And we get to see how they use Reddick and if it's effective. That's the stuff that we as fans will know for sure.

11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

All true

I’m admittedly an optimist and keep hoping for the best for the team. If it made me miserable I’d move on — yet I’m a fan for 50+ years

I have a tough time thinking JD is moron when it wasn’t that long ago when he drafted Sauce, GW, JJ and Breece (two of whom he needed to move up for — i.e., recognized the value)

I blame the turf more than the CS for much of Jets misery

abyzmul likes this.
  12. abyzmul

I don't think Joe is stupid at all, but it takes more than intelligence to pull off that job successfully. It might just be that he's not a good personality fit. I've seen a number of (admittedly unsourced) rumors that there are people on the team that consider Joe Douglas to be "too nice", and although they didn't state in what respect, it can really be a few things IMO: in dealing with the CS, in dealing with contact negotiations with agents, or in dealing with the players themselves. They have traded away players or cut them outright so "they can play with a contender" at the end of the season. That can be seen as a pushover move, too. Mecole felt so much goodwill after his trade that he immediately threw the Jets under the bus after the Super Bowl. Although it could just be that Mecole is a POS.

I thought that the acquisition of the picks for the 2022 draft was far more impressive than the player selection. These picks fell really well and the decisions were not that hard, although we're seeing with Sauce's tackling weaknesses that the 6 pick was not a slam dunk and Garrett Wilson is as dynamic and exciting as he is light in frame, he gets beaten up a lot in coverage. Jermaine Johnson is turning into a dude they can really depend on though, but he is also evidence of their over-dependence on scouting the Senior Bowl because they fell in love with him and traded up. Breece is the best of that bunch and all the players drafted after that were Senior Bowl players. If you look at each draft individually, 2022 seems more like an anomaly than the rule, and as time goes on it's only those 4 picks that really stand out.

I really don't know what to think of the guy because he hasn't really been visible since the offseason of 2023. But the full body of work really isn't proving out to me.

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sauce is also wasting away covering a third of the field where teams put their shittiest receiver and deliberately scheme the play away from him. It’s an advantage for us to shrink the field and all but the coaching staff is only using half his talent.

Felt like JJ faded a bit last year. He also needs to add some moves. He bends and dips his arm under but gets held an awful lot in that awkward defender is sideways position where the league doesn’t like to throw a lot of flags. Would like to see him add an inside bull rush to setup getting to the outside shoulder.

Brook! and abyzmul like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JJ didn't have a great start to the year either, almost no pass rush at all. Which is another reason why we needed to make an improvement in the pass rush department. I've maintained from the beginning that resigning Huff to maintain pass rush was needed and will not prevent from offensive moves, and while JD didn't resign Huff, he basically invested the same amount this year in Reddick. Losing a 3d round pick in 2026 for a 1 year rental sucks though, but if Reddick can give a Pro Bowl level year, will be worth it.

As far as wasting Sauce, I agree completely. I am hoping they learned the lessons from last year - I recall sauce was saying he was going to follow Cooper I think, but he was out that game. The defense to me performs up to the talent level we have. In the first year of Saleh when we had scrubs, it was the worst in the League. After we got Sauce, Reed, JJ, Huff, etc, it drastically improved. This is not to say we have bad defensive coaches, not at all, but they can improve too and make the defense even better.

15. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Are we cutting JFM btw? Wouldn’t that put us right back to where we were before the Reddick trade?

per ciminis article this am:

The defense is predicated on generating pressure with the front four, and the Jets have six former first-round picks -- Reddick, Quinnen Williams, Jermaine Johnson, Javon Kinlaw, Solomon Thomas and Will McDonald IV. They also have the reliable John Franklin-Myers, although he could be the odd-man out. His roster spot is vulnerable because of a $16.4 million cap charge.

But then a little later he says we might be looking to add ANOTHER edge rusher! I can’t tell if that’s because JFM is toast or we legit want another guy.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think we want another guy, but it is possible they will try to convert JFM non guaranteed salary to a lower one with more guarantees. Currently he is scheduled to make 14 mil in 2024, but only 2 of these are guaranteed. I really hope they keep him.

17. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

If they end up cutting him-unless he demands it or something-that would baffle me.

not exactly and “all in” move

18. NOVAJET

Cutting him would make 0 sense cap wise. Definitely a restructure candidate though.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I figured we'd at least restructure him but I guess that can come later. We got to free up at least 5 million for the draft.

20. NOVAJET

If we dont restructure we should get a 3rd rd comp pick in 2026 when we coincidentally have to give one up for him. Kind of a wash pick wise on a one year rental. I have lot of friends that are die hard eagles fans, got some texts yesterday and they all hated it from an Eagles perspective, which made me love it lol

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.